parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is awesome :D

So I was talking to my mom the other day and she wants me to go to University of Toledo...telling me that it's in the top 100! I cracked up laughing, trying to correct her that there is only about a hundred schools anyway and she wouldn't believe me :smack:
She then proceeded to tell me that there must be thousands of medical schools and then printed off a list in order to count them all. So now I have something to hold over her!! "Honey...you're wrong..." "mom...how many med schools are there again??" "oh..." :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

A conversation I had with my dad a few weeks ago:

*******Phone rings********

Me: Hello
Dad: Are you still taking MCAT in May
Me: Yes
Dad: How many hours a day you study?
Me: Well I have had classes and everything so maybe 2 a day during the week
Dad: That is no good, I study all summer 8-8 no breaks when I took my exam.
Me: Well this isn't India, there are other things that matter besides a test
Dad: No, I talked to my friend he has daughter at Harvard and he said that if you get 30 on MCAT you get in; so just get a 30.
Me: Much easier said than done. And other things do matter.
Dad: Just get a 30.

*******He hangs up the phone*******

I missed this thread. So many lols

Reactions: 1 user
A conversation I had with my dad a few weeks ago:

*******Phone rings********

Me: Hello
Dad: Are you still taking MCAT in May
Me: Yes
Dad: How many hours a day you study?
Me: Well I have had classes and everything so maybe 2 a day during the week
Dad: That is no good, I study all summer 8-8 no breaks when I took my exam.
Me: Well this isn't India, there are other things that matter besides a test
Dad: No, I talked to my friend he has daughter at Harvard and he said that if you get 30 on MCAT you get in; so just get a 30.
Me: Much easier said than done. And other things do matter.
Dad: Just get a 30.

*******He hangs up the phone*******

I missed this thread. So many lols
Because a 30 makes you competitive at Harvard. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
So so so so so thankful for my parents after perusing a few pages of this nonsense. Constantly supportive and never overbearing - could call tomorrow to let them know I decided to drop out of medical school and become a chef instead and they'd ask when I could come by and make dinner. :)

Back like 5 years ago.

dad- what are you gonna take up in HS?( I went to a voc school)

me- Well mostly likely the health program because I wanna be expose to health care to make sure that this is what I really wanna do.

dad- You still wanna be a doctor??

me- uhhh yea.......

dad- LMAO really?

me- what are you implying?!?

dad- nothing bud, but don't you have to be like really smart??

me- :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :(:(:(:(

mom- sigh- if I have another son I would really like him to be a pilot

me +pissed+

Back like 5 years ago.

dad- what are you gonna take up in HS?( I went to a voc school)

me- Well mostly likely the health program because I wanna be expose to health care to make sure that this is what I really wanna do.

dad- You still wanna be a doctor??

me- uhhh yea.......

dad- LMAO really?

me- what are you implying?!?

dad- nothing bud, but don't you have to be like really smart??

me- :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :(:(:(:(

mom- sigh- if I have another son I would really like him to be a pilot

me +pissed+

Lol. Repped.

I am nowhere near the application process, but yesterday my grandfather asked me what classes I was taking....
ME: Biology, Psychology, Math, and English.
Him: WHAT!!! I though you was taking doctor classes.

Yeah, that conversation did not go anywhere.

I am nowhere near the application process, but yesterday my grandfather asked me what classes I was taking....

:confused: I think I know why.

Nobody in my family understood this either.

My parents and I after my first interview:

Mom: how was the interview?
Me: it went really well.
Mom: so you got in?
Me: no I won't know until November 15.
Mom: I thought you said it went well??
Me : *facepalm

My mom seems to have a funny case of selective memory loss. I can look through my text history, but I am pretty sure that I have told her at least once a week all summer that I can't possibly 1, get interviews to places I haven't finished applying to 2, get an acceptance without going to an interviews 3, have to wait until October in the best case scenario.

I wish I had a funny "mom story," but my mom has been with me every step of the way throughout the whole process, so she's very knowledgeable about how it all works. She had the password to check my MCAT and I was cool with that. So on the day that scores came out, we thought that scores would come out around 4pm. Mom had heard that sometimes scores come out a few hours early, so around 1pm she checked and got my scores. I was in lab at the time, but the only thing she texted was: I'm so proud of you. A year later, when I got my first acceptance, I called her and she cried. Moms, gotta love em.

My dad, on the other hand, never understood any of it. I just found out before White Coat that he'd been telling people that I was going to go to XXX med school (my first acceptance school), instead of the one that I'm actually going to (my top choice).

My mom seems to have a funny case of selective memory loss. I can look through my text history, but I am pretty sure that I have told her at least once a week all summer that I can't possibly 1, get interviews to places I haven't finished applying to 2, get an acceptance without going to an interviews 3, have to wait until October in the best case scenario.

I received an informational brochure in the mail from URochester and my mom excitedly called me while I was at work about it hoping I got accepted. She seems to forget that I haven't gone on a single interview yet, let alone receive an II from Rochester, and that I can't get accepted without an interview. Oh moms :oops:

My dad is usually good for the lulz. I posted on facebook that my car was broken into while I was volunteering, and he commented that I needed to "Cut the extra crap and focus on getting into school." A few years ago we were talking about my applications and how I had no interviews and he said "Did you know there are medical schools in the Caribbean?" :rolleyes:

My parents were not pleased when I decided to leave my grad program with a Masters and not a PhD. My mom has a PhD and I think she is anti-MD. I think they're okay with my decision now :)

Who has parents who are unhappy about their son/daughter going to med school?! It was like I had told them I was starting a band! :laugh: :laugh:

Goodness, yes. My parents are just really unsure of the whole thing because it's "so much schooling (read "you're too old to do this!"-I'm 25) Medical School is so expensive! You don't want to have so much debt before you even start working!", etc. I find it rather amusing, however I'd prefer if they were a little more supportive.

The best part is that they were all gung-ho about my decision to pursue my B.S. in Nursing earlier this year. I was trying to decide if I was motivated enough to pursue an all out medical degree instead of being 'just a nurse' and finally decided yes, yes I am that motivated. (Don't get me wrong, nurses work hard too, I just wanted more of a challenge.) I can't believe they're so skeptical. :/

Last edited:
I am one of those parents - started out as clueless about the whole application process, and was not really even sure if his becoming any kind of M.D. would essentially "pay off" with the direction health care is going in this country. But not my life. Not even a little bit, and I really really just want my kids to be happy in whatever they do or however far away they go.

Now, of course, I have my own spread sheet going of all the schools he has applied to, secondary requests, costs etc. And if I am REALLY honest, I've also reached out to a few friends who MIGHT be in a position to whisper his name to admission committees, (to say nothing of posting on this thread and his likely wish to kill me for it)! Fortunately (or hopefully), he's never been much for forum stalking. When the phone rings and he's stressing big time, however, I've been glad to have gleaned a few insights from reading here that helps to back him off a ledge. No mail comes our way, mostly it's all done by email or portals these days, and I certainly don't have passwords or access. But I know how much this all means to him, how dedicated he's been, and how hard he has worked. He's made us extremely proud to be his parents. And he hasn't even gotten an interview ....yet! :)

So my strategy is to be hugely positive but not naive. To be his biggest cheerleader, but tempering my enthusiasm so he will never for a moment think he might let us down if/when rejected. He's got a very top heavy list, if you ask me and it's been made clear that even in his doing well, it only leaves him competitive. <sigh> it's not easy for us Moms - and yes, maybe it's better when we're clueless. :)

I don't know how I'd feel about my parents knowing anything about the application process. They know I want to go to medical school but that's the gist. Maybe I started keeping them out of the loophole when my mom was completely against me working in another country when I was interested in Doctors Without Borders. She asked if I couldn't just work in Iowa near a farm...it'd practically be the same thing. I just stared blankly.

My parents had a money-less bet going on during my application process. My mom thought that I would only get into one/two schools that would be one of my least favorite choices (if I got in at all), and my dad said that I would get into 6+ and that I would get into one of my top choices.

Me: so I got into medical school...
Father: really? (In a disbelieving time and surprised face)

Thanks dad, thanks for the support

So as soon as I submitted my primary my parents have been asking me daily if I have gotten any interviews yet.
every day.

Reactions: 3 users