parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by DW

ouch! silvercholla's mom, queen of tact :laugh: your aunt diane has the hookup though.

this reminds me of a "heart to heart" my mother tried to have with me when i went home this spring.

mom: so, when you go to medical school, what type of doctor do you want to become?

me: i'm not entirely sure, maybe i'll go into internal medicine or preventive medicine, something like that

mom: why not surgery or something?

me: well, i'm not entirely sure i could handle the lifestyle, i think i might want to do something more low key but i'd figure it out for sure during school, there are a lot of specialties out there.........

mom: will you be making a lot of money? (oh god, where the hell is this going?)

me: well, probably not, i'm not really looking for some big financial payout, just want to reasonably cover school debt and live comfortably..........

mom: (trying to "level" with me condascendingly) baby, you need to go into something that pays well. no woman wants to be with a man who can barely pay his own rent. you have all these girls fawning over your good lucks now, but you wont have that when you're older and out of shape. maybe if you settled down with someone now she would give you better perspective on your career choices.

(okay, at this point is it a good time to drop the hidden fact that i'd been dating a jewish girl for almost half a year? damned if you do, damned if you dont.

let me add the backdrop that my mother is convinced that i am the biggest man ***** ever, even though my only contact with girls has really been three steady relationships. this presumption goes in accordance with when she thought i was doing drugs because i came home late because of track meets in high school, and the time that she thought i had dropped out of college because i didn't answer an email she sent for three weeks, among other things).

me: (yelling) I'm not going to be on welfare or something if i dont become a neurosurgeon!!!! look mom, if a woman is so shallow that she wont love me for 100K a year versus 250K a year, then thats a woman I want no part of!!!

mom: (trying to pull the innocent mom shtick) sweety, what are so mad about?

me: cause you're frustrating me with these ridiculous conclusions about my life!! i'm not trying to take some high paying job i dont like and end up with some trophy wife and live miserably ever after!!!!!

mom: oh, its ok baby. besides, you might meet yourself some nice girl in medical school who wants to be a surgeon, and you could marry her.

me: ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!!!! (DW slaps head, picks up car keys, and storms angrily out of house).

since i've started college, whenever she fields a call from a female friend of mine or meets a friend in person, its :"whats her name? whats her major? what are her career goals? does her family have money?"

ughhh
:mad:

Oh my god, that was so funny....kinda reminds me of my dad...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by silvercholla
Last Parent post... hope no one minds

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo. Silver your life is like my favourite sitcom! You can't stop! I simply won't have it! ;)

Money Transfer is the dept that i work in at a Coporate Investment Bank. My mom always calls me at work no matter how many times I tell her not to.

See, my original thought was that you were calling your mom "Money Transfer" facetiously because you always call her to send you money. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Sweet Tea
ST: Dad, I'm not expecting you to pay for med school. I'm not asking you to pay for it... I paid for my undergrad, and I'll find a way to pay for med school.

Dad: And how exactly do you plan to go about doing that?

*****Prostitution and drug traficking. Or I could marry some 94 year old oil tycoon and wait til he kicks the bucket...Oh wait-- not a good time for sarcasm****

ST: Loans. That's what everyone does.

Dad: Do you really want to be that much in debt? Do you know that intrest will accrue? Blah blah blah (he ranted for a bit, but I tuned him out...) Maybe you should stay in your research job until you can completely pay for medical school.

*****Is 22 to old to put myself up for adoption??*****

Loans accrue interest? Thanks for the tip, dad. :) Too bad he's so clueless. Although, I suppose the few things that would accrue money quicker are law and starting a blockbuster business. :D And that's only because you don't have to go through countless years of residency for those.

So he didn't pay for your undergrad and is now complaining about paying for med school?

Ahhh, how I miss that sweet tea...I forgot to grab some at the Bojangles in South Hill, as normal, before I came back to New England...

'cause on the 8th day, God made sweet tea...

-RA

Originally posted by Spidey

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo. Silver your life is like my favourite sitcom! You can't stop! I simply won't have it! ;)

Doesn't it get old though??? Maybe it's because it's my life. But here is how much her 5am revelie (sp?) really helps.

***Phone rings... phone rings... phone rings... 8am***

Me: 'Lo

Mom: Sweety I have been calling you for the past three hours what hve you been doing??

***Have you ever jumped naked into a tub of ice water... with real ice!***

Me: Ohmigod, what time is it?

Mom: It's 8:00am, sweety get up you're late for work

***No! Really??? I wonder if she can resist the urge to make a comment or to throw out some random thought?***

Me: Okay mother I have to go call me later.

Mom: Sweety, I was wondering with your schedule and everything and not to mention your age do you really think that medical school is for you? I mean not to dash your dreams because you know that I am completely behind you, but honestly I don't think your patients would appreciate you being late to their surgery.

***Oh, Look, a pistol....***

Me: MOTHER!!!! I am already late for work! Berate me a some other time!

Mom: Oh, well... I guess my advice is just really nagging in reality. I will keep that in mind. I guess I will just have nothing to say about your career or lack there of one. Have a nice day dear

***And now for your viewing and listening enjoyment... GUILT and INSULT, NOW with NO COMMERCIAL INTERRUPTIONS***

Woot! Your mom is hilarious. I wonder if you'll be like that with your kids silver ;)

Woot! Your mom is hilarious. I wonder if you'll be like that with your kids silver ;)

NO WAY!!!!! :p

Oh man! I stayed away from this thread as long as possible. I finally read that last convo between Silvercholla and her ma and I was forced to read the entire thread. All I have to say is that these are some of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a while. :laugh:

Originally posted by Dr. Will
Oh man! I stayed away from this thread as long as possible. I finally read that last convo between Silvercholla and her ma and I was forced to read the entire thread. All I have to say is that these are some of the most enjoyable posts I've read in a while. :laugh:

Careful Will, this thread is sorta like crack. I'm always checking in for the latest hit of silver&mom ;) Soon I'll be banging on her door at 5am so I can have a live viewing of her and her moms!

***hehehehehe... turn about is fair play... Conversation 7am this morning***

Mom: You know I am supposed to be out the door at 645. Why didn't you wake me when I didn't wake you?

Me: Oh so you actually wake me on purpose! Well that's good to know that your mornings are made to interrupt my REM.

Mom: Now is not the time to be a little smart a$$!!!!! I am late for work. Go and turn the shower on.

Me: Well my mother is late for work... No wonder it's raining.

Mom: Shower!!!! NOW!!!

***Ahhh Sweet Justice***

Me: My goodness so touchy in the morning. Mother you should really learn to relax.

***At this point a shoe comes hurling at my head. I ducked. I must admit though, despite all of the rain here in NYC it's turning out to be a good day***
:clap:

ah....revenge is sweet!!!!

and PLEASE do not stop posting on this thread...it's one of my favorites!!!

Careful Will, this thread is sorta like crack. I'm always checking in for the latest hit of silver&mom ;) Soon I'll be banging on her door at 5am so I can have a live viewing of her and her moms!

we should all pitch in and get a webcam to simulcast silvercholla's place every morning.

Definitely the most enjoyable thread this application cycle. My favorite line so far:

Mom: ...... Why didn't you wake me when I didn't wake you?

Uh, maybe because she was sleeping for a change? :laugh:

Keep 'em coming, silvercholla.:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DW

we should all pitch in and get a webcam to simulcast silvercholla's place every morning.

I'm down with that. Would be funny to see silver rubbing the sleep out of her eyes in the morning while her moms is playing with her mind ;)

(bump)

Siiiiilver! Gimme my fix! (bump)

Siiiiilver! Gimme my fix! (bump)

Don't do it Silver, Spidey is getting way to addicted.

;) J/K Yes we are all waiting for more motherly encounters.

I'm down with that. Would be funny to see silver rubbing the sleep out of her eyes in the morning while her moms is playing with her mind ;)

(bump)

Yes, it would be funny.

Originally posted by Dr. Will
If I may ask what is the timer for ? that is on your post??

[bump]

(we need another Silvercholla post :))

Come back, please, silvercholla!

when we get these long silences, i only fear silver has finally snapped and gone postal on her family:(

don't say that, DW!!! the world (or at least this forum) would be a much less entertaining place without silver and her mother. ;) :laugh:

Hey Guys

I went away for labor day weekend. Sorry I haven't posted since I got back but I had to restress my body after such a long relaxing weekend. Anyway here's what happened the day i got back.

***Conversation 1am in the morning, after a very long flight and a wonderfully quiet weekend***

Mom: How was your trip sweety?

Me: It was heavenly.

Mom: Did you get my email while you were away?

Me: You know how to email

***She knows how to email:confused: ***

Mom: Of course... I had your sister show me.

***traitor***

Me: No I didn't check my email at all, why?

Mom: Well, while you were in Florida, I talked to Diane and her husband and he said that he would like to see you.

***I've finally resigned myself to the situation***

Me: Good, I'll call him and make an appointment

Mom: That's what I emailed you about, I already set uo the appointment for you

***Oh God!!!***

Me: Really.... Um... For when?

Mom: 9am

Me: THIS MORNING!!!!??? TODAY????!!!??? MOTHER IT IS 1:22 in the morning!!!! I am NOT PREPARED!!!! COULDN"T YOU PICK UP A PHONE!!!!???!!!??

Mom: SSSSSSHHHHHH!!!! You're going to wake the neighbors!

***Oh I'm sorry, I was actually trying to wake the dead!!***

Me: I'm jet lagged and exhausted. You could have called!!

Mom: Oh... Well... Sweety this is the type of pressure I am sure you will have to deal with when you become a doctor. You must learn to adapt. Besides I just had to try out my email I call you all the time, silly. Good night love. Get some sleep, you have a big day tomorrow.

***can I afford another ticket out of here!!!****

One more thing... thanks for all of the nice encouragements... I didn't know my weird family:rolleyes: could be so entertaining. :laugh: Anyway thanks again. Later

Silver, its not so much the weirdness, but your charming responses to the weirdness that has me hooked on your family reports-don't stop!

Hmmmmm...charming? I think I like that better than Smart A$$.:D :laugh:

Hmmmmm...charming? I think I like that better than Smart A$$.:D :laugh:
lol, I enjoy your stories too. (Waiting for next one).:clap:

I have more to tell just don't have much time. Anyway later people. I hope the late nighters see this ;)

I went away for labor day weekend. Sorry I haven't posted since I got back but I had to restress my body after such a long relaxing weekend.

Never go away again!!!!

;)

You could publish this stuff, silvercholla!:)

I think next time she goes away we could all chip in and pay for her mom to go along with her. That way we can have 365 days a year of Silver stories.;)

***Conversation 5am this morning***

Mom: Sweety are you sleeping?

***You'd think that by now that she would know that asking me that infernal question is only going to lead to me being a smart a$$***

Me: No, there's a naked man under me and I'm trying to hide him from you.

**See, I told you***

Mom: Honestly, must you always be such a brat this early in the morning?

Me: Oh, so you do realize that it is early in the morning. Well at least I can get comfort from that.

***oooooooooooooooo, YOU IN TWOUBLE!!!!***

Mom: Now you listen to me young lady, I don't care how tired you are or how cranky you get in the morning. YOU WILL HAVE SOME RESPECT!!! IS THAT UNDERSTOOD!

***Uh Oh, stepped over that mom line***

Me: Sorry Mommy.

Mom: Apology accepted.... go back to sleep, I forgot what I came in here toask you anyway. Have a nice day love.

***Even at 27 she can still make me feel like a four year old:rolleyes: ***

Hey, all. I realize that this thread has turned into silvercholla's experiences (no offense), but I figured that I'd put one of my stories in since it fits into this topic.

Well, it seems that parents are funny in this process. How about relatives that live in other countries where the medical school process is different? :eek:

My mom knows how a lot of the people that posted beforehand feel. She tells a bunch of my relatives :laugh:

By the way, the conversation is quite long and there is a lot of unneccesary stuff, so I'll just cut to the chase.

Here's one that happened about two weeks ago...

(Mom calls my auntie that lives in Taiwan)

Mom: Hello, sis
(well, she's a sister-in-law, actually...my dad's blood sister)

Aunt: Hello, dear. How are you doing now?
(she's concerned for my mom because my dad passed away last March)

Mom: Very good, actually. I called to thank you for the money that you sent us. It wasn't neccessary.

Aunt: Nonsense. Use it, dear. Why, if I had a million dollars, I would give it to you.

(a long conversation commences, which isn't needed to be told on SDN because it might bore you and isn't relevent to the topic)

Aunt: So, what's your eldest son (me) studying now after high school?

Mom: He's studying medical stuff

(well that's the best translation I can come up with, though it isn't accurate obviously; apparently, my mom has lumped pre-med, pre-dental, pre-optometry, pre-pharmacy, etc. into this term)

Aunt: So which branch is he studying? Family Practice, Dentistry, Optometry, Surgery?

Mom: He doesn't know yet.

Aunt: What do you mean he doesn't know yet?!?! How can he be studying medicine if he doesn't know what type of doctor he wants to be?!?! That's impossible!

(explanation: in Taiwan, Vietnam, and all of those places, if you want to be a doctor, you start training in your chosen specialty RIGHT AFTER high school! Guess that's why they say U.S. docs are so good, eh?)

Mom: In America, when people want to become a doctor, they need to learn and train for at least 8 years, minimum! :mad:

Aunt: Wow, that's a long time! :eek:

Mom: Yes. Also, if they want to specialize, like say Surgery, or Pediatrics, that's another 3 - 8 years after the first 8.

Aunt: That's insanely long! :eek: :eek:

Mom: Yes, well, now you know why American doctors are so good, aside from the technology that we have here. :rolleyes:

I was laughing the entire time I heard this conversation. My mom has to go through it every time she talks to a relative that lives in the general areas of Vietnam or Taiwan. :p

Originally posted by DrLady
What???
This thread went to the 3rd page!!! Can't let this happen!

Silvercholla, where are you? ;)

I agree, Silver should write a new entry every 10 minutes ;)

I don't think her moms wakes her up at 5 am on the weekends, dang it ;)

I avoided reading this thread for a long time and finally I read it and I was dying laughing.

I don't ever want to have to search for one of silvers stories soooo.

BUMP!

I agree, Silver should write a new entry every 10 minutes ;)

I don't think her moms wakes her up at 5 am on the weekends, dang it ;)

Actually she does try to wake me on the weekends, but I never remember what she says. (Actually force myself to forget hehehe) Anyway this one was yesterday morning, before a special event tour that I had to go to.

***4:30am, This is just wrong. No Human should have to endure this time***

Me: Mother are you sleeping

***I couldn't resist***

Mom: No dear I am awake what do you need.

***Dammit, it didn't work***

Me: I'm leaving now, I just wanted to let you know.

Mom: Where are you going again?

Dad: QUIET it's the middle of the night!!1

***And I wonder where I get it from***

Mom: SSShhhhh, honey you'll wake the neighbors. And don't you care that your daughter is leaving the house at 4:30 in the morning?????

Dad: She's 27 dear.

***Yeah DAD!!!***

Mom: But she's still our daughter and we should be concerned. What if she is going out there to ruin her career? or her entire life? For Christs sake it's still dark out!!!!

***Now this where I make my escape. They'll keep this up fpr about another hour before my Dad gives up and goes back to sleep***

Dad: She's obviously going to the ambulance corp... SHE'S IN UNIFORM!!!! And you know very well where she is going! Must you always make things so diffucult?

***Yeah!! What he said!!! uh better go while the going good***

Mom: Difficult??? Difficult??? I'm difficult???? Because I want to make sure that my child is safe?? You're calling me difficult??? I'm not the one who wants someone to fetch his water at 10pm in the evening. Difficult indeed....

Me: (whisper) bye guys, love you, hehehehe

***I could still hear them when I walked downstairs into the living room and when I walked out the door. Anyway best thing was I was off the hook!!!!!!!!! WooHoo!!!!***

wow silver... my mom specifically said that if i ever woke her up to tell her that i'm leaving for my ems shift (i don't leave until 5:30 am, not that ungodly 4:30 am you endured), she would have the locks on the door changed by the time i got back. i've also told her that she is not allowed to talk to me when i come staggering back in the morning after a night shift (usually around 6:45 am). it's just best for both of us if we don't communicate before the sun is up.;)

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
wow silver... my mom specifically said that if i ever woke her up to tell her that i'm leaving for my ems shift (i don't leave until 5:30 am, not that ungodly 4:30 am you endured), she would have the locks on the door changed by the time i got back. i've also told her that she is not allowed to talk to me when i come staggering back in the morning after a night shift (usually around 6:45 am). it's just best for both of us if we don't communicate before the sun is up.;)

Problem is is that my mother, I suspect, doesn't sleep. I believe that she has some type of special gene that allows her to stay awake just so she can torture me. :rolleyes:

Only reason I was up that damn early in the was because some ***** decided that it would be a good idea to cover a century bike tour in NYC, that started at 7:00!!! which means we had to be there for 6am, which means that I had to be there to 800 the bus at 5am!!!! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Mom: But she's still our daughter and we should be concerned. What if she is going out there to ruin her career? or her entire life? For Christs sake it's still dark out!!!!

:laugh: This thread has over 10000 views. I think we should keep it on the first page until it gets 100000.

lol, can't wait for the next one..:clap: You really should start a website or write a book...lol:clap:

Originally posted by Insy
lol, can't wait for the next one..:clap: You really should start a website or write a book...lol:clap:

Agreed! But it's scary to think that in a few short years I'll have to put up with stuff like that from my family, especially since they're not too crazy about my being premed in the first place...
shocked.gif

I'm sure it's not as funny when it's happening to you, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Some random girl
Agreed! But it's scary to think that in a few short years I'll have to put up with stuff like that from my family, especially since they're not too crazy about my being premed in the first place...
shocked.gif

I'm sure it's not as funny when it's happening to you, unfortunately.

Actually, it's pretty funny to me only because I know that despite my mother's nuttiness she has my best interest at heart. Also because I know SHE WILL NEVER CHANGE!!!! NEVER!!!! UH UH< NOPE NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!!!!!

***Conversation 5am ***

Mom: Sweety are you sleeping?

***When I'm ruler of the world, the first person to utter those words in my knigdom will be flogged!!!***

Me: No, I forgot to shave my legs so the hair has tangled in the bed sheets.

Mom: Don't be disgusting!!! I just realized you never let me know how the interview with Diane's husband went.

***Prepare for detonation***

Me: I told him I was thankful for the opportunity and we discussed my plans as they stand now and how I was moving into the future. We talked about my commitment and what it would take to make it in medicine. Then he and I both agreed that with my full time job, the ambulance on the side and the community work I am doing that working at the hospital at this time would be too much and in the long run slow me down in my endeavor to become a doctor. He believed that I would be overloading myself. So I thanked him and he promised to keep in touch and check up on my progess.

***All said with my face firmly planted in my pillow***

Mom: Oh... well... You know dear if you don't want my help I would appreciate it if you didn't waste my time. Just humoring your mother is a cruel thing to do. All you had to say was that you didn't want the interview.

***AAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!! Didn't I say that in the beginning!!! AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!***

Me: AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!! Didn't I say that in the beginning!!! AAARRRGGGGHHH!!! You never listen to me!!!!

Mom: Well obviously you weren't clear enough or else I would have never set up the interview. Anyway you have a nice day dear, love you bye

***Thud, Me throwing myself out of bed***

BUMP for the night people!!!

***Okay so she doesn't always wake me with that infernal question... sometimes she'll just scare me out of my sleep...5am***

***You know that feeling you get when someone is watching you...***

Me: AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! MOTHER WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!?!?!?!

Mom: Oh I'm sorry dear, you looked funny while you were sleeping so I thought I would just watch you to make sure that you were okay. Did I scare you??

***List of questions I never want to hear....***

Me: No I normally wake up to a psychotic woman leaning over me in my sleep.

***GET UP AND RUN... RUN NOW****

Mom: OH I AM SURE THAT MY DAUGHTER DID NOT JUST CALL ME PSYCHOTIC!! I KNOW MY DAUGHTER HAS BETTER SENSE THAN THAT!!!

Me: (Groan, mumble) sorry

Mom: Well you shouldn't sleep so soundly any way, it's not healthy.

***Shower music from psycho playing***

I hate it when my parents call me doctor. "Ma, I haven't even gotten in to med school!!"

Mom: Well you shouldn't sleep so soundly any way, it's not healthy.

Umm.....how are you supposed to control this?

I told you... PSYCHOTIC!!!:D :love:

Originally posted by Tein
I hate it when my parents call me doctor. "Ma, I haven't even gotten in to med school!!"

OMG I know... the day after I told my mom I was going into pre-med she started calling me doc... and now she has my grandmother doing it too... it makes me want to jump out the window... And anytime I'm around other family with my mom now she'll brag to them about how I am going to be a doctor... It basically makes me want to avoid any and all family functions.

Oh I'm sorry dear, you looked funny while you were sleeping so I thought I would just watch you to make sure that you were okay. Did I scare you??

Yeah... that'd creep me out to wake up with someone watching me. Silver, I think you need to get a lock for your door ;) I can just imagine... 5 am and all the sudden Silver wakes up as her mom thumps into her locked door