parents are funny in this process :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where is silvercholla?? This was on 14th page!

Bump!

Members don't see this ad.

She was actually posting on other threads, like affirmative action , which, in case you've been avoiding it, is a very funny thread!! :laugh: But that's no excuse for failing to give us our "silvercholla's mother" fix!!! :(

Dond? est? Silvercholla :( No funny mom stories?

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SMW
She was actually posting on other threads, like affirmative action , which, in case you've been avoiding it, is a very funny thread!! :laugh: But that's no excuse for failing to give us our "silvercholla's mother" fix!!! :(

I just didn't want anyone to to feel uncomfortable... (unless of course it has to do with AA:D ) It just seemed like people were feeling odd about my stories... but I guess to appease the masses...

***Conversation 5:30am, she's late because it's staying darker longer***

Mom: Sweety are you sleeping?

***You know, Bush should forget about Saddam and go after my mother for asking that question***

Me: No, I'm contemplating the molecular structure of my pillow

Mom: Why do you always have to give me a smart a$$ answer?

Me: What do you need mother?

Mom: I'm going to give you $600 dollars, I want you to deposit it in you account.

***Cha Ching... wait this is my mother what the catch***

Me: WhhhYYY???

Mom: Well, I want you to pay my Capital One Account.

***WWWHHHHAAA???***

Me: Okay I ask again, why? Just pay it yourself. Wait, isn't that the same company that you have been having the interest dispute about?

Caveat: My mother hates Capital One because she got a Platinum Card from them with a fixed interest rate of something like 5.3% and after her second bill came in it went up to something like 9%. She has been in an on going battle, which my dad and I think is ridiculous because all she has to pay is $600 and cancel the stupid account. Back to your regularly scheduled program***

Mom: Well I decided that I wanted to be done with these people.

Me: Um, what does that have to do with me?

Mom: Oh... Well, I don't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing that I ended up paying them.

Me: WWWHHHAAA!!!??? Mother this is a huge company, They don't care where the money comes from as long as they get paid!!

Mom: But honey I will know. And I don't want them to know that I am paying them. It's about the principal. I mean honestly, I'd think you would understand about principal given your chosen profession. Anyway I'll leave the money here on the dresser. Love you have a nice day

***Your honor I wasn't embezzling I was just trying to uphold my mother's principals***

[bump] Silvercholla? Bueller? Bueller?

Hmmm, I'm away from sdn for almost 2 weeks cramming for exams and when I come back only 1 measely silver story?? that's it, Silver pm me your address. I'm going to move to nyc and start stalking you. I'm going out right now to buy the stalking for idiots handbook.

Family Friend: Hi, don't you remember my daughter, so and so?

Me: Yeah, of course

Family Friend: Your going to med school right?

Me: Yeah, soon after some time off..

Family Friend: How old are you now?

Me: 21

Family Friend: There she is, standing in the corner, go say "hi".

mg- lemme guess, you're indian?? if i'm right, the last name gave it away (shah is your last name?)....

where r u silver??

anyone esle got funny parents? mine arent here and i havent paid my phone bill in about 3 months so am out of the question.

Okay so don't kill me but I have been really busy... Anyway, MY PARENTS ARE AWAY ON VACATION!!!:clap: :clap:
Now you would think that that would stop her, at least for the week, right? Eh eh:rolleyes:

***Conversation 5pm at work.. LONG DISTANCE***

Me: Good Evening Money Transfer

Mom: Hello dear, how are you do you miss me?

***OOO, open ended question***

Me: Of course mother, I live to miss you.

Mom: Well I was just calling to make sure everything is going okay. Is everything okay?

Me: Everything is fine.

***silence, of the expectant type***

Mom: Well aren't you going to ask me how the vacation is going????

***Like I really care. I'm just gald I have the house to myself***

Me: Are you enjoying yourself mother.

Mom: Absolutely, and guess what? I met a wonderful doctor here and he was telling me that about the schools here in Miami. He says that if you hurry and really work at it you could get into school for the next year. Isn't that wonderful darling?!?

***Oh Dear God She is never going to drop this!!! (Silent weeping)

Me: Mother you are supposed to be on vacation!!! You are not supposed to recruit Doctors so I can get into medical school!!! Now do not call here until your flight lands in NYC!!!

Mom: You know dear, Ithink you should have come on this vacation with your father and I it sounds like you need it. Well have a good day love you bye.

***Can you call the an Airline and ground a plane based on the insanity of a passenger***

Welcome back, Silvercholla!!! You don't know how much everyone has missed your posts!!

Members don't see this ad :)
she's back!!!! :)

:love: stick around for a while this time, ok??

Originally posted by chopsuey
she's back!!!! :)

:love: stick around for a while this time, ok??

I'll try... :D

Hey I am leaving for the day and I was just want to ask if you guys can keep this up so that all of the night people (early morning?) can see it. Anywho have a good one people. And if you can't be good, at least be careful.

Yay! Another post! The Silvercholla Saga continues...

Originally posted by silvercholla
Hey I am leaving for the day and I was just want to ask if you guys can keep this up so that all of the night people (early morning?) can see it.

Your wish is my command. (bump)

PS - I was going through your garbage last night and I noticed that you switched shampoo. What was wrong with your old shampoo? It always left your hair so shiny. ;)

here is my mom story-
last weekend we went shopping for interview suits, we are in the dressing room which has many women in it...

me- this suit fits perfectly!
mom- get the next size bigger so you can grow into it!
me- I AM 25 and NOT growing anymore
mom is silent for a beat then in a really loud voice...
LET'S GET YOU A BRA. I CAN SEE YOU NIPPLES!!
me- mortified as the other women snicker and i hear a stranger saying- that must be her mother.

Originally posted by kiping
here is my mom story-
last weekend we went shopping for interview suits, we are in the dressing room which has many women in it...

me- mortified as the other women snicker and i hear a stranger saying- that must be her mother.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: welcome to the thread!

Oh jeebus... I think it's really funny when moms/aunts/etc yell halfway across a store/shop: "here's a 34D!!!!" so that everyone in that half of the mall can hear it.

Originally posted by Random Access
Oh jeebus... I think it's really funny when moms/aunts/etc yell halfway across a store/shop: "here's a 34D!!!!" so that everyone in that half of the mall can hear it.

um...that's not nearly as bad as them yelling out "here's a 32AA!!!"

$)(*@#&)%(&^%!!!

Originally posted by mvervaine
um...that's not nearly as bad as them yelling out "here's a 32AA!!!"

$)(*@#&)%(&^%!!!

Hmmm...I suppose you're right. :)

They still look and stare though. Just from observation at the department store, it seemed like half the women looked skeptically and thought, "she is not a 34D!" And the other half looked jealously and thought, "damn, I wish I had those"...

My parents graduated from med school in the late 70's so they feel like they have a good grasp on what I'm going through. I was telling my father about a school and how their average board score was really high and how that might be good for me because I want to go into a competitive residency. My father informed me that boards don't matter at all, programs don't even look at them when you're applying, you just need to pass.

I think a couple of things have changed since his day.

Originally posted by seaworthc
My parents graduated from med school in the late 70's so they feel like they have a good grasp on what I'm going through. I was telling my father about a school and how their average board score was really high and how that might be good for me because I want to go into a competitive residency. My father informed me that boards don't matter at all, programs don't even look at them when you're applying, you just need to pass.

I think a couple of things have changed since his day.

Hmmm...seems to me someone told me that this is still true... but I have no idea...

Hmmm...seems to me someone told me that this is still true... but I have no idea...

for competitive residencies, they now use board scores as a cut off due to applications being online and 500 people applying to a program which used to only receive 50 apps. for those less competitive, I don't think it matters much. I know people who haven't been able to go into the field they wanted to because their scores weren't high enough.

Originally posted by Spidey
Your wish is my command. (bump)

PS - I was going through your garbage last night and I noticed that you switched shampoo. What was wrong with your old shampoo? It always left your hair so shiny. ;)

Well, I started getting this buildup and I just hate buildup!! And SPIDEY I TOLD YOU BEFORE STAYT OUT OF MY GARBAGE!:D

here's another mom story...
setting- this morning at 7am as I am eating cereal
mom- what do you want for dinner?
me- ummm... mom, i'm still eating breakfast...
mom- what about pork chops?
me- well...umm i reallly don't care...
mom- what about burritos?
me- mom i really don't care...
mom- you are tooooo skinny!! (voice starts to rise)- who would ever go to a doctor who looked as skinny as you!!!
me- silent

here's another mom story...
setting- this morning at 7am as I am eating cereal
mom- what do you want for dinner?
me- ummm... mom, i'm still eating breakfast...
mom- what about pork chops?
me- well...umm i reallly don't care...
mom- what about burritos?
me- mom i really don't care...
mom- you are tooooo skinny!! (voice starts to rise)- who would ever go to a doctor who looked as skinny as you!!!
me- silent

Haha! My grandmother does that to my sister, always trying to make her eat something. I wish I had some funny stories to tell about my mom. I think my parents take themselves too seriously, I hope I don't turn out that way. ;) I don't think my mom really has a sense of humour, I'm always trying to make her laugh but she usually just tells me to stop being so silly :(

Buuuump. Siiiiilver post more!

The other day, I was in the car with my mom when she said "You know, my friend told me that sometimes having somebody write a letter of recommendation for you really helps. Maybe you should see if one of your bosses will write a letter for you."

:rolleyes:

Thanks ma, I'll get right on it. :laugh:

I didn't have the heart to tell her that with my committee packet and my additional letters, all my schools had six letters for me already.

Not to mention trying to explain what a committe packet is.

It was sweet of her, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Originally posted by Spidey
Buuuump. Siiiiilver post more!

**Conversation 9am this morning.... they cut my hours at work :( ***
Mom: Um are you just walking in the door?

***No I normally sleep outside in the freezing cold fully clothed***

Me: No mother, I normally sleep outside in the freezing cold fully clothed

Mom: You are not sleeping so don't be cheeky!

Me: CHEEKY!!!??? What are you in London now? LOL!!!

Mom: That is not funny!!! Stop it right now!!! Cheeky is a perfectly good expression that is not only used in England!

***Quite right mum***

Me: I spent the night at Kevin's House

***New Sweety :) ***
Mom: You know dear, if you make yourself grass, the horse will eat you. You should be a bit more hard to get. I mean really being a doormat is no way for a future doctor to behave. Men don't buy the cow if the canget the milk for free. If this kevin boy really likes you he'll marry you. He knows how old you are already doesn't he? I hope he is honorable and decent. Your great grandmother used to say, If you lay down with dogs you'll get up with fleas...

***And the award for the most stupid quotes in a minute.....***

Me: MOTHER PLEASE!! I have to get ready for work.

Mom: Well that's just my opinion... Nobody wants a doctor that can't handle her personal life. Anyway have a nice day love.

***Can you legally commit someone and murder them at the same time... hhhmmmm***

When I told my mother I wanted to be a doctor, she just said:
"Great! You can look after me when I get really old"!

When I told my grandparents, they started telling me about all their medical problems and asking me what they should do!

When I told my Uncle, he said "That'll be really hard work won't it? I think it's better to be completely stupid, then life isn't as hard"!!!!

Nice to know they are all supportive!

Hi... I'm new here.... but I do have a story...
My mother walked me to my interview at a certain school, which is understandable, since she works at the medical center there... but then she would not leave. I was the only person in the lobby among the people coming in for the interview accompanied by a mom. I tried to explain that of all the places to bring your parents, medical school interview was just not one of them... She left after a while, but it took some work on my part. Later that day I was also the only person who was met by my mom as soon as I left the interview (since she was my ride home). Still... I felt like she was sending me out on the first day of pre-school.....

Originally posted by Slinkie
My mother walked me to my interview at a certain school, which is understandable, since she works at the medical center there... but then she would not leave. I was the only person in the lobby among the people coming in for the interview accompanied by a mom. I tried to explain that of all the places to bring your parents, medical school interview was just not one of them... She left after a while, but it took some work on my part. Later that day I was also the only person who was met by my mom as soon as I left the interview (since she was my ride home). Still... I felt like she was sending me out on the first day of pre-school.....

LOOOOL ..... I thus did not tell my mum when I had mine..... :p

Originally posted by TalkAboutIslam
LOOOOL ..... I thus did not tell my mum when I had mine..... :p

(SCARY DISEMBODIED VOICE) GET OUT!!!! chechechecheche

[B

Me: I spent the night at Kevin's House

[/B]

You're dating DrKevin40???!!!! Oh my.

Originally posted by Adcadet
NO way- he's mine

Originally posted by Slinkie

Welcome to SDN, slinkie! :) Great story, and very brave of you to jump right in on this tread!! :D

I am sure I'll have a story for y'all on November 14th- the day after my Upstate Interview.....

I live four hours from Syracuse, so I didn't want to drive up there by myself. My boyfriend refused to go (silly boy wanted to go to class & work.... where are his priorities???) so my mother has kindly offered to accompany me to Syracuse. Good news is I don't have to drive :)

I don't want to run into the "mom's accompanying me to the interview" so I'll have to find somewhere for my mother to be during my interview day.

it will be interesting.....

***Kevin

***Not his real name to protect privacy***

there must be some more funny parent stories!!

bump!

***Conversation 7am this morning***

***I know I hated it when they cut my hours but I love the extra sleep***

Mom: Sweety are you sleeping?

***Even this late in the morning, with the amount of sleep I have been getting, that question still sounds absurd***

Me: Yes, I've decided to convert to discordianism, so I actually mean that I am at work right this instant just about to go to sleep.

Mom: I'm going to ignore that because it didn't make any sense...sweety, don't you have to get to work... You know ever since you told me that you were abandoning your dream of becoming a doctor you have been sleeping a lot. Are you depressed.

***Yeah because I don't have my own place***

Me: No mother, I'm not depressed I'm SLEEPING!!!

Mom: Well if you didn't spend so much time with that man then maybe you wouldn't be so tired. Don't you think?

***I stopped thinking a lllloooonnnggg time ago***

Me: Mother I haven't seen Kevin in three days or something... I've been working. You remember what that is right? It's when you do something for someone and then they actualy give you money in return. AMAZING!!!!

Mom: Well now I know you're depressed.... that wasn't even a decent smart a$$ answer. Well have a nice day anyway love you, bye.

***WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY...***

you're abandoning your dream of becoming a doctor?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (echo echo echo for dramatic effect) ...

why?! :(

Originally posted by mvervaine
you're abandoning your dream of becoming a doctor?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (echo echo echo for dramatic effect) ...

why?! :(

Wait... Registration NY, NY.... MOM???? ;)

Anyway I didn't abandon...I postponed!!!:p

***Kevin

***Not his real name to protect privacy***

So you're dating DrKevin40, but Kevin isn't his real name. Gotcha. Speaking of which...I think I know why you're depressed!

So you're dating DrKevin40, but Kevin isn't his real name. Gotcha. Speaking of which...I think I know why you're depressed!

I'M NOT DEPRESSED!!!:p

***Conversation, election day, 6am... Never volunteer to hand out flyers***

Mother: Oh!!! You're awake!!! Why are you awake

***See I told you she does it on purpose***

Me: Yes mother, today's election day... remember? I have to be at the polling site at 8.

Mom: Oh...Are you going to vote?

Me: I always vote mother...

Mom: Oh... For who?

***WARNING WARNING WARNING... STAND BACK!!!***

Me: That's a little private, but if you must knw (***Censored, for political reasons... don't want to influence anyone***)

Mom: Oh... Well... Do you really think that you should vote in the condition you have been in lately? I mean really the choices alone tell me that you are not happy... sweety do you want me to make an appointment to see a therapist.

***YEAH!! For parental emotional distress syndrome***

Me: I AM NOT DEPRESSED MOTHER... I ONLY POSTPONED GOING TO SCHOOL!!! WHICH DOES NOT MEAN THAT I AM DEPRESSED... CAUSE I AM NOT DEPRESSED.

Mom: Well if your not depressed then you should know better than to mix politics with your impending career in medicine. But of course that is your choice. Have a nice day dear.

***Ever get that feeling that you were just set up***

Well, I will happily say that I voted for Erskine Bowles. His kids went to my school, and he was White House Chief of Staff for part of the Clinton Administration. Much better than that carpetbagging ho, Lizzie Dole. :)

(fixed the typo, but Sweet Tea's post still has it :))

Well, I will happily say that I voted for Erksine Bowles. His kids went to my school, and he was White House Chief of Staff for part of the Clinton Administration. Much better than that carpetbagging ho, Lizzie Dole. :)

RA, i knew i liked you. good job. :)