parents at interviews...yes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

litldime

D2
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do your parents accompany you to the interview or do they just stay at the hotel? Do you think it shows immaturity to have mommy and daddy tag along? I think since this is graduate school the future grad student should be able to handle the day on his/her own...any thoughts? Please share if your parents went with you or not. Also how many parents approx. did you see at interviews? Thanks!
-ld

Members don't see this ad.

Do your parents accompany you to the interview or do they just stay at the hotel? Do you think it shows immaturity to have mommy and daddy tag along? I think since this is graduate school the future grad student should be able to handle the day on his/her own...any thoughts? Please share if your parents went with you or not. Also how many parents approx. did you see at interviews? Thanks!
-ld

Why . . . . do your parents plan on chaperoning you to your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
-ld

My parents asked me if they were allowed to come (they were really excited ok!), but I told them no. I would never consider bringing a parent to an interview, unless they told you specifically to bring them.

Dont do it.

I didn't want my parents to accompany me to my High School orientation! If it was me, I'd rent my parents a movie and tell them they need to stay home. Even though they are really excited for you, tell them you'll just call them after your day is over.

Haha, I think having my parents there would make me even more nervous.

I don't think it'd do great things for your image...

What if instead of bringing your parents you just brought a couple of friends - you might as well make it a party. I brought my cat to my interview.

What if instead of bringing your parents you just brought a couple of friends - you might as well make it a party. I brought my cat to my interview.

Hahaha...

Isn't there a dinner or lunch or something? You couldn't bring your boyfriend with you? Your dentist, maybe? :p

There was a set of parents at one interview I was at. Although it didn't disrupt anything, I think it could give the appearance that they are controlling your decision to be a dentist. If your folks are really so interested, they should schedule their own tour on a day before or after your interview (and not disclose their relationship w/ you).

I saw a few people with parents at some interviews (Penn and Temple). If the parents came, they usually sat through the welcome and the talk about financial aid etc. and went on the tour but were asked to leave during the interviews and the student/prospective student socialization time (which is usually lunch).

ha..*rollseyes*....serious question....

Sorry.

I actually feel you should leave your parents out on the interview day. Invite them when you are in dental school to check things out.

Members don't see this ad :)
to the interview ? :thumbdown:
to the whitecoat ceremony ? :thumbup:

Two words: Bad Idea.

Initially I thought this thread was a total joke thread.

Do not take your parents to your interview. Do they plan on holding your hand through your courses as well? I don't mean to be mean spirited here, but taking your parents makes you look completely sheltered and unable to stand on your own two feet. Having your parents there is a huge negative.

Good luck to you, and if I see your parents I'll offer them a cookie and sidetrack them with financial aid diagrams so you can get away!

Initially I thought this thread was a total joke thread.

Do not take your parents to your interview. Do they plan on holding your hand through your courses as well? I don't mean to be mean spirited here, but taking your parents makes you look completely sheltered and unable to stand on your own two feet. Having your parents there is a huge negative.

Good luck to you, and if I see your parents I'll offer them a cookie and sidetrack them with financial aid diagrams so you can get away!

i totally agree with you...i'm a very assertive person who takes cares of my stuff by myself and they sometimes feel like i'm trying to exclude them...i cut the umbilical cord a long time ago and will definately make sure they cut it as well tonight...snip!
-ld

What do you guys think about bringing your spouse to the interview?

I think taking your wife is good, if I had money I would fly her out too because she is involved in the decision too. Also I want here to feel good about where I am making her live for the next 4 years.

PARENTS?!! I guess I might do that if the were paying for it all! Since I am married my parents won't pay a dime, and they wouldn't even if I was single....

My dad wanted to come with me if I got an interview at a NY school that way we could try to get tickets for a NY Rangers game :D

Also, I would definitely bring your spouse. Maybe not to the actual interview but afterwards or even prior to it, show her around the campus and the city. At my last interview there was a guy who had to take pictures of everything to show his wife incase he had to attend there.

You should anonymously call the school and ask if parents/spouses/friends can/should come. I have a UT interview, and they specifically noted to bring parents/spouses/friends. I called to confirm, and she was like oh yes they should come, we strongly encourage this. Weirdness!! Personally I don't want my husband to come with me. I think it'll make me nervous. But at the same time, I don't want to be the only one flyin solo. Anyway, he's coming with me, and now I'm all concerned with what he should wear. I think a suit, but who knows - do any of you know? Anyway, I hope all this helps you.

I had 4 interviews last year, and at one of them there was an interviewee with his wife, and at another there was a girl with her dad, and at a third one there were two interviewees who brought their dad.

if your parents show up, have them walk around the school, not physically walk into the interview area come on now

if your parents show up, have them walk around the school, not physically walk into the interview area come on now

Honestly, it just depends on the school. Call them!!

eep..I definitely say no to parents on interviews. I would never even consider it as an option.

There's a term admissions people (not just dental school, college in general) use for people whose parents come with them to these types of things. They're called helicopter parents, because they just hover over their kids and never let them do these things on their own.

I took my mom to my interview last year. Now she attends classes with me and smacks my hand when I fall asleep in Histology. She also wipes my behind when I go #2.

Is this serious? I understand taking them to the city or campus, but to the actual interview? Please don't take your parents. Trust me, you'd be a joke to the other students...unless your mom was really hot, then definitely invite her.

Agreed. The things that I read on this forum..

-ld
In the interview packet I received from Minnesota, they specifically do not allow family or friends to accompany the interviewee on the day of the interview. They feel the day should focus on the interviewee and the dental school.

You guys are all worrying me...OSU said we could bring guests to the interview and they would listen in on the financial aide part and recieve a tour of the college. Naturally, my parents were thrilled and really wanted to join me. So I am letting them join me...is this THAT big of a mistake? I mean, doesn't it show that my parents care about my future? It's not that they are wiping my butt or anything...they just want to visit the school and go through the experience. What's wrong with that?

i agree, i have an interview at baylor coming up and it says that parents/family are welcome to come for a tour of the college. My dad wants to go because he is alma mater at Baylor COD and is interested in seeing what it is like. What do you guys think i should do?

i'm suprised no one has asked this question:

would you bring your parents to a job interview? :rolleyes:

You should anonymously call the school and ask if parents/spouses/friends can/should come. I have a UT interview, and they specifically noted to bring parents/spouses/friends. I called to confirm, and she was like oh yes they should come, we strongly encourage this. Weirdness!! Personally I don't want my husband to come with me. I think it'll make me nervous. But at the same time, I don't want to be the only one flyin solo. Anyway, he's coming with me, and now I'm all concerned with what he should wear. I think a suit, but who knows - do any of you know? Anyway, I hope all this helps you.

im not planning on bringing my husband..i hope im not the only one without a family member!

i've received interview letters that say one is encouraged to bring a guest/ parent/ spouse...and i've also received on that said specifically no..so its a bit confusing....
-ld

im not planning on bringing my husband..i hope im not the only one without a family member!

I hope I'm not the only one with a family member. :laugh: Now I'm confused! I realize it may look bad - less independent and what not, but on the phone she said that I should. Hmm... I'm sure they don't place judgment either way.

i have a parent coming with me to some interviews where they asked in the letter if i'd like to bring someone. but then again, my parents are also paying for dental school so i will not complain if they want to see where i am going.

i disagree with people who think that a parent is holding the child's hand during the interview. in fact, my parents could probably care less about being there interviewing, they'd like to see where i will be for the next four years. and personally, bringing a family member shows you have someone supporting you emotionally and financially which i don't see as a bad sign.

just my opinion though :0)

i have a parent coming with me to some interviews where they asked in the letter if i'd like to bring someone. but then again, my parents are also paying for dental school so i will not complain if they want to see where i am going.

i disagree with people who think that a parent is holding the child's hand during the interview. in fact, my parents could probably care less about being there interviewing, they'd like to see where i will be for the next four years. and personally, bringing a family member shows you have someone supporting you emotionally and financially which i don't see as a bad sign.

I agree. My parents are have helped me SO much by paying for my undergrad. They are going to put the money that I earned from multiple scholarships I earned to help pay for undergrad towards my dental school. I think it is important to show that you have a family who cares about your future, and there's nothing wrong with them wanting to see where you possibly may be spending your next 4 years.

I agree. My parents are have helped me SO much by paying for my undergrad. They are going to put the money that I earned from multiple scholarships I earned to help pay for undergrad towards my dental school. I think it is important to show that you have a family who cares about your future, and there's nothing wrong with them wanting to see where you possibly may be spending your next 4 years.

why would the dental committee hold it against you if they invited your parents in writing?

The idea of bringing a parent to accompany the applicant is not as outrageous as many in this thread have expressed. As pointed out previously, if they are providing you with financial aid, I think they are at the very least entitled to see where their "investment" is going. Second, as many of you are moving another state, parents believe it or not, can give you great guidance on some of the practical points of living away from home (e.g. where best to live, etc.). Third, as some of you have alluded to, a parent can actually be an asset to your possible admission. I heard of one situation where the admissions officer was so impressed with the parent during the tour, financial aid session, it probably helped the student get in. I agree with you that having a parent present is not a bad thing (unless your parent is a felon or drug abuser or psychotic I suppose).

I interviewed earlier this week and one of the applicants brought her mother and another brought his wife. In the interview invite it stated that parents and or significant others are welcomed. They accompanied the interviewees on the tour and during the informative portion of the interview and left before the interview session began. If the invite states they are welcome then it will not hurt your chances at the interview. If the invite does not state they are welcome I would not consider bringing them to the interview.

A side note when my wife interviewed 4 years ago she brought her mother to two interviews and was accepted to both schools.

Good Luck I hope this helps!!