Parents Born in Africa does that make me African American?

Salman

2+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2014
Boca Raton, Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi so i have a rather tricky question. My parents (Mother and Father) were both born in Africa, Tanzania to be specific and they moved to Canada where I was born. Both my mom's parents were born in Africa, but only dad's mother was born in Africa his dad was born in India. I am both a US and Canadian Citizen, my question is on my Dental school application if i put African American would I be lying? What ethnicity should I chose I have always been confused. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Liz Cecilia

Sampson, grab my coffee
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Dental Student
How do you personally identify? Do you take part in African cultures and know the heritage? If yes, I would put down african american. You are of african descent, living in a different region than your heritage.

This could vary, but IMO, ethnicity has to do with your culture and heritage. How do YOU identify yourself? Whatever your answer is to that question, that is what I would put down.

Reactions: Salman
OP
Salman

Salman

2+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2014
Boca Raton, Florida
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the great answer I really do appreciate it, without a doubt then I would have to put two or more ethnicity's technically speaking I am black (light skin color though) but I take part in my Indian culture although I do speak an African Dialect. I guess Asian (Indian) and Black would be my answer for the ethnicity question.

Bis-GMA111

7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Dentist
put asian. if you play the technicality card, it could work against you. just sayin', don't risk it

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
Thanks for the great answer I really do appreciate it, without a doubt then I would have to put two or more ethnicity's technically speaking I am black (light skin color though) but I take part in my Indian culture although I do speak an African Dialect. I guess Asian (Indian) and Black would be my answer for the ethnicity question.
Go for it. Technically, you are part African. Ride the wave of affirmative action to success.

Reactions: Liz Cecilia
Jun 14, 2012
Status
Dental Student
You could choose African American ethnicity, as ethnicity is a personal choice. Concerning RACE, you would not be considered African American in my opinion, and qualifying for A.A. scholarships, etc. might get a bit tricky. Africa is a continent comprised of 54 sovereign, distinct countries. Just because you have parents born somewhere on a continent doesn't make you African American. Just a personal opinion.