Parents both MD's - + or - ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMP

Recovered Under-Achiever
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the fact that both your parents are MD's (one's a physician, one a research prof MD/PhD) could be viewed positively or negatively by ADCOMs. Or not affect either way? Should this be something I mention in my apps or something that I avoid?

Members don't see this ad.

UMP said:
I'm wondering if the fact that both your parents are MD's (one's a physician, one a research prof MD/PhD) could be viewed positively or negatively by ADCOMs. Or not affect either way? Should this be something I mention in my apps or something that I avoid?

i don't know if i would specidifically mention it, but the fact that you know what it means to be a doctor and the impact it will have on your family life can only be a positive.

lots of schools ask if your parents went there, so it could help as a legacy status. I also agree with the above poster that then adcoms can see that you know how much of a committment, etc it takes to be a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that both of your parents are MDs I imagine has some bearing on your decision to apply to become a physician, and thus it should be mentioned along with other factors which influenced your choice. I also think that in this day when so many MDs are negative about medicine, the fact that you come from a medical family that must be positive, or at least you are positive, is appealing to physicians on the adcom. Of course medical school is not an old boys network where you'll get in because of your parents, but it should certainly be clear to the committee that you know well what the life of a physician may be. And your parents being doctors certainly isn't anything to be embarrassed about, so by all means, let the committee know if it makes sense to weave into your personal statement.

Woo, someone is pedigree...I'm almost jealous. :p My mom types for a living and my dad's been an out-of-work salesman for a while.

Most of the time it's seen as a positive, but be sure you also have some of your "own" reasons for wanting to go into medicine, independent of your parents.

One interviewer I had told me the reason they ask is that the applicant with physician parents would have had a lot more opportunity to learn about the field. So it is a double-edge sword in a way. They expect you would know what you're getting into. But on the other hand, you've had more opportunity for involvement and success and may be held to a higher standard.

use a colon in the thread title

you're in the same boat as me. i think it didn't really matter much in the long run. except the major plus it offers is making the "why medicine" answer during interviews a hell of a lot easier to articulate and a lot more believable.
-mota

I'm just looking for that fine line b/w "my parents were a big influence on me" and "my parents pressured me in to medical school" ... things can be easily misconstrued

UMP said:
I'm just looking for that fine line b/w "my parents were a big influence on me" and "my parents pressured me in to medical school" ... things can be easily misconstrued

That is a fine line type situation. I'd say depending on how the rest of your interview actually goes may determine how this looked upon by the ADCOMs.

I've talked to a few adcoms and they all say the same thing 'To whom much is given much more is expected!"

My dad is a MD; my mom is an OT. It's mentioned in the rough draft of my PS (as part of a much bigger story). I think does show that you know a bit more what you're getting yourself into, but I don't think it's such a big deal.

I wouldn't put it as an EC or anything :laugh: