parents delayed filing and FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm filling out my FAFSA now, and the financial aid office has already told me what a Bad Idea it was to leave this so late. (I certainly didn't want to fill it out until I had an acceptance in hand).

However, when I called up my dad to get a copy of his latest return, he informed me that he's asked for an extension and it won't be finished until October of this year. I do have a copy of his 2005 return, which shouldn't be that much different.

The FAFSA asks if your parents have filed for this year, and when I tell it that they haven't, gently reminds me that it's after 4/16.

So, my questions: how is this going to affect my FAFSA filing and the financial aid disbursement at my school? Any chance that I can't apply for aid until the tax forms are finally submitted?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to start medical school (or any graduate school) next year, you do not need to include your parental information to be eligible for federal financial aid. Some schools require parental information for school sponsored aid (school funded need-based grants and scholarships, etc.). So even if you can't get your parental information at all, you can still get staffords and GradPlus loans, which is how most of us are funding our education. However, I would suggest calling your school to see what they recommend about completing the parental section.

If you're going to start medical school (or any graduate school) next year, you do not need to include your parental information to be eligible for federal financial aid. Some schools require parental information for school sponsored aid (school funded need-based grants and scholarships, etc.). So even if you can't get your parental information at all, you can still get staffords and GradPlus loans, which is how most of us are funding our education. However, I would suggest calling your school to see what they recommend about completing the parental section.

Thanks, but my school sadly requires parental info, and I'm not well-off enough to discount school aid if they offer it. Having just called the FinAid office with a bunch of similar, nit-picky questions, I was hoping to save myself another phone call tomorrow (when they'll probably start remembering my name). Guess I'm stuck calling again tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Will it not let you fill out the parental section at all? If not, you have two options that I can think of:
1. Fill it out with just your stuff, and make your own form with the info that would have gone on the FAFSA to mail or fax to your school.
2. Click the box that says they did file (in a way they did, since they FILED for the extension). Not sure if this would be considered fraudulent, since it will have absolutely zero effect on your EFC or your eligibility for federal aid.

Unless your parents have 8 other kids under 18 and make $20K a year combined, I don't think you are going to get much from the school (need based, that is) at this late date. It is based on need, but also first come-first served at many schools