Parents disagreement about DO doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
actually its something I truly believe due to my interactions with DOs... My orthopedic surgeon (a DO) made a house call to my house when my brother may have broken his arm and had a wrestling tournament the next day... SORRY I don't know many MD's who make house calls anymore...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=house+call+doctors

I'm guessing some will be MD's. Enjoy that kool-aid.

Members don't see this ad.

10 bucks your parents are south asian.

tell them to get over, and if they dont...do it anyway, this is your career not theirs. desis always have a superstition approach to everything, very judgmental and always trying to impress others.

(post from a south asian pre-med)

first of all, Im not trolling. The reason why I want to help them understand and get on my side and their "approval" is because they really helped me out in paying my undergrad bills and they place their self-value on my success. I dont want them to think it was a waste and feel disappointed.

I showed them the data, the pay, the FAQ page on this website. I told them at the orientations, even the Caribbean representatives suggested DO, and that every person on the internet said it. Most importantly, I agree with everything you guys said. I know they are exactly the same. I also said their sources are misinformed.

Its just that it wont get through their head. They made up their mind and are not changing it. All I can do is keep hammering more and more data. They laugh when I even mention my interest in DO despite all of the data. Its just frustrating.

I of course can make my own decision, but I would hate living everyday knowing all my parents think of me is an alternative doctor, even though its based on no actual proof. I would hate myself if they get disappointed in me and worse, disappointed in themselves.

So I will keep showing them data, and see where it goes...

Do a "Look Who's Coming to Dinner" approach. Brings some great DO's home to dinner. Also, tell them to bring their published works, CVs, and Income Tax Returns. LOL

Listen, do what you want to do. Once they see you are determined, why wouldn't they try to do what they could to help you out? Otherwise, you will have to go the way that many of us have to go and find your own financing.

Your dreams as well as mistakes are the things you can call your own.

The point of becoming a physician is to help people physically, mentally, and even at times emotionally the way that only a physician can.

MD = physician. DO = physician. Functionally there is no difference. Are they trying to get you to move out of the country or something??? That is only where it matters--at least that is what I have read.

Freedom comes at a cost. If it is not this issue of freedom to pursue the path you want, it will be another. Break the strings and take the plunge. Do what will work best for you.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of my parents are MDs. At first they detested the idea of me becoming a DO. My father especially was vehemently against it.

Then reality set in: decreasing pay, more regulatory constraints, middle level practitioners thinking they can do a physician's job, etc., turned their minds. around.

They began to feel as if ALL doctor's had a target on their backs, regardless of philosophical training. They began to speak highly of their DO colleagues.
Now they are both supportive of my application to DO schools because they believe the rise in all of the mentioned above just means we'll need more physicians to make the tough calls others are not trained to do.

Whatever happens, good luck :)

Just look at the 3rd and 4th year rotations. Play close attention to how much inpatient and structured experience you can get and where. If those years are up to snuff, there is nothing wrong with going the DO route. Be careful of certain schools and their 3rd and 4th year rotations. The minimum standard is lower than it is for LCME for rotation sites, so there is more variability.

Just look at the 3rd and 4th year rotations. Play close attention to how much inpatient and structured experience you can get and where. If those years are up to snuff, there is nothing wrong with going the DO route. Be careful of certain schools and their 3rd and 4th year rotations. The minimum standard is lower than it is for LCME for rotation sites, so there is more variability.

Solid advice.

I would never be treated by a DO. Unless you don't have insurance and are paying out-of-pocket, I think that a lot of people argue as to why would they see a DO, who is essentially a lesser quality practitioner, when they can simply see an MD, who is more rigorously-trained, higher-quality, and more naturally intelligent/better student. The only people I know whoever see DOs is because they have no clue what a DO is or how they differ from MDs. I refrain from explaining, bc the one time I did, the woman (a coworker) panicked, thinking she had been scammed in some way.

I would never be treated by a DO. Unless you don't have insurance and are paying out-of-pocket, I think that a lot of people argue as to why would they see a DO, who is essentially a lesser quality practitioner, when they can simply see an MD, who is more rigorously-trained, higher-quality, and more naturally intelligent/better student. The only people I know whoever see DOs is because they have no clue what a DO is or how they differ from MDs. I refrain from explaining, bc the one time I did, the woman (a coworker) panicked, thinking she had been scammed in some way.
the troll is strong in this one

Reactions: 8 users

I didn't realize SDN comments are linked to youtube comments.

Reactions: 1 user

Meh. Here's Your Sign:

FltV4SD.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Loll if you don't want to be treated by a D.O. then don't. But please keep your false assumptions and derogatory comments to yourself. Clearly just trying to piss people off here.