parents' info for fafsa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehhhhh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to do my FAFSA and I came across this:

"You are considered an "independent" student. This means you are not required to answer questions about your parents.However, you may want to answer questions about your parents if:
  • you are a health profession student (such as a medical or nursing student), or
  • your school requires parental information from all students."
So did you guys fill out info about your parents' income?

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of age or filing status, you have to put at least 1 parent's tax info in order to be considered for HPSL loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. My parents are both retired and live of SS and investments. I put 0 for their income. They don't even file taxes b/c they don't have an income to file for. But you still have to put them on the FAFSA for HPSL.

Is there a strategy for doing this, like putting the parent with the lower income on the form or doesn't it matter how much your parents make?

Is there a strategy for doing this, like putting the parent with the lower income on the form or doesn't it matter how much your parents make?
I thought you had to put both parents' info? Someone correct me if I'm mistaken

If your parents are both alive you need to put both of their info. If you have a parent and step parent only you need to put both info. If you only have one parent alive and no stepparent you only need to put one income.

So if I am understanding this correctly, my mom is retired and receives social security benefits like another poster above me mentioned. Since this is her only source of income, she isn't filing her tax return for 2014. If I want to be eligible for HPSL loans, claiming that she won't file won't harm my chances of HPSL? I'm confused.

Last edited:
So if I am understanding this correctly, my mom is retired and receives social security benefits like another poster above me mentioned. Since this is her only source of income, she isn't filing her tax return for 2014. If I want to be eligible for HPSL loans, claiming that she won't file won't harm my chances of HPSL? I'm confused.

I had the same question. I asked the financial aid person at tOSU (Jami rocks!) and she told me that if the IRS doen't make my parents file, tOSU would not make them file. Just mark will not file, and list income as $0.

If your parents are both alive you need to put both of their info. If you have a parent and step parent only you need to put both info. If you only have one parent alive and no stepparent you only need to put one income.

Ok, the other posts were making it sound like you only had to include one parent.