Parents keep telling me I will never become a doctor! What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocky Balboa

The Greatest Underdog
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a High School Senior. I ended up making some mistakes in high school and now I am ending up going to a regular city college, not a community college. This got my parents really pissed because they had originally planned on me applying to a pharmacy school. They told me a few months before my college admission process to apply to Pharmacy schools. I never wanted to be a pharmacist because I feel I am capable of doing much better and can apply myself and get through medical school to become a doctor. (Not to say that being a pharmacist is a bad career, because I believe it is one of the top careers in the science field.) Besides trying to force me into a career that I never chose to pursue, my parents always argues with each other everyday. I believe this is probably because of their arranged marriage. They argued even more whenever I had huge standardized exams to study for such as the SATs. I remember every single night during the period while I was studying for the SATs, I would cry myself to sleep. After getting low scores on my SATs my mother has always acted like a b!tch, treating me like crap calling me a midget and a bastard. My father is just as worse calling me a son of a b!tch. They also had done this before but now they do it more often, like every single day. I am a good student. In my high school I am ranked 14 in a class of 500 students. I have a 3.92 cumulative GPA and am hard working. But I have met my demise after my parents started arguing. With low SAT scores but a high GPA I ended up getting accepted to Binghamton University, Stony Brook Waitlisted, CUNY Hunter and CUNY City College. I really wanted to go to Binghamton, but parents won’t let me go cause of its tuition of about $14,000 and they don’t want me dorming. They said they want me to go to Stony by taking the Railroad every morning and commuting if I get accepted. So far I am probably going to go to CUNY Hunter and do pre-med. But every single day, my both my parents b!tch at me saying that I can never be a doctor after what happened on my SATs. They say I am going to **** up on the MCATs like the SATs. I feel like cursing my parents out and telling them that the reason why I got such low scores was because of their arguing while I tried to study. They would literally stand right next to me and start arguing as if I wasn’t next to them. I feel like telling them how I feel, but I know that they will start b!tching at me even more. I dream about studying really hard in whatever college I get into and get an above average score on my MCATs and try extremely hard to maintain a 4.0 GPA and commit myself to unique EC that will get me into medical school. I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. I dream one day I will write a book describing my struggle. I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up. When my body says stop my spirit will always say “NEVER!” For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, that's a lot of words, so I didn't read all of them..

but it's your life. do what you want to do. take out loans if you need to. move out if you want to. you shouldn't let your parents control your goals or dreams.

that is a lot of words, and entirely too small. and after skimming it, i'd say: forget your parents.

if you want to be a doctor, you will get there. if it's the city college thing that's bothering your parents, go for a year, get decent grades, and transfer to a ranked university.

Members don't see this ad :)
after skimming it all, i'd say: forget your parents.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't let yourself get worked up over family crap. You can't change your parents and ultimately they don't really have control over your life and your choices, if you don't want them to. Make your choices based on what you want; there are ways to get to where you want to go, without needing to involve them. It doesn't matter what they think. Divorce yourself from all the negativity and the arguing around your parents; it's not really about you anyway. Focus on developing yourself and what is important to you.

Also, it really doesn't matter much what school you attend. Do well in school and on the MCAT.

From the close of the year 1811 intensified arming and concentrating of the forces of Western Europe began, and in 1812 these forces- millions of men, reckoning those transporting and feeding the army- moved from the west eastwards to the Russian frontier, toward which since 1811 Russian forces had been similarly drawn. On the twelfth of June, 1812, the forces of Western Europe crossed the Russian frontier and war began, that is, an event took place opposed to human reason and to human nature. Millions of men perpetrated against one another such innumerable crimes, frauds, treacheries, thefts, forgeries, issues of false money, burglaries, incendiarisms, and murders as in whole centuries are not recorded in the annals of all the law courts of the world, but which those who committed them did not at the time regard as being crimes.
What produced this extraordinary occurrence? What were its causes? The historians tell us with naive assurance that its causes were the wrongs inflicted on the Duke of Oldenburg, the nonobservance of the Continental System, the ambition of Napoleon, the firmness of Alexander, the mistakes of the diplomatists, and so on.
Consequently, it would only have been necessary for Metternich, Rumyantsev, or Talleyrand, between a levee and an evening party, to have taken proper pains and written a more adroit note, or for Napoleon to have written to Alexander: "My respected Brother, I consent to restore the duchy to the Duke of Oldenburg"- and there would have been no war.
We can understand that the matter seemed like that to contemporaries. It naturally seemed to Napoleon that the war was caused by England's intrigues (as in fact he said on the island of St. Helena). It naturally seemed to members of the English Parliament that the cause of the war was Napoleon's ambition; to the Duke of Oldenburg, that the cause of the war was the violence done to him; to businessmen that the cause of the way was the Continental System which was ruining Europe; to the generals and old soldiers that the chief reason for the war was the necessity of giving them employment; to the legitimists of that day that it was the need of re-establishing les bons principes, and to the diplomatists of that time that it all resulted from the fact that the alliance between Russia and Austria in 1809 had not been sufficiently well concealed from Napoleon, and from the awkward wording of Memorandum No. 178. It is natural that these and a countless and infinite quantity of other reasons, the number depending on the endless diversity of points of view, presented themselves to the men of that day; but to us, to posterity who view the thing that happened in all its magnitude and perceive its plain and terrible meaning, these causes seem insufficient. To us it is incomprehensible that millions of Christian men killed and tortured each other either because Napoleon was ambitious or Alexander was firm, or because England's policy was astute or the Duke of Oldenburg wronged. We cannot grasp what connection such circumstances have with the actual fact of slaughter and violence: why because the Duke was wronged, thousands of men from the other side of Europe killed and ruined the people of Smolensk and Moscow and were killed by them.
To us, their descendants, who are not historians and are not carried away by the process of research and can therefore regard the event with unclouded common sense, an incalculable number of causes present themselves. The deeper we delve in search of these causes the more of them we find; and each separate cause or whole series of causes appears to us equally valid in itself and equally false by its insignificance compared to the magnitude of the events, and by its impotence- apart from the cooperation of all the other coincident causes- to occasion the event. To us, the wish or objection of this or that French corporal to serve a second term appears as much a cause as Napoleon's refusal to withdraw his troops beyond the Vistula and to restore the duchy of Oldenburg; for had he not wished to serve, and had a second, a third, and a thousandth corporal and private also refused, there would have been so many less men in Napoleon's army and the war could not have occurred.
Had Napoleon not taken offense at the demand that he should withdraw beyond the Vistula, and not ordered his troops to advance, there would have been no war; but had all his sergeants objected to serving a second term then also there could have been no war. Nor could there have been a war had there been no English intrigues and no Duke of Oldenburg, and had Alexander not felt insulted, and had there not been an autocratic government in Russia, or a Revolution in France and a subsequent dictatorship and Empire, or all the things that produced the French Revolution, and so on. Without each of these causes nothing could have happened. So all these causes- myriads of causes- coincided to bring it about. And so there was no one cause for that occurrence, but it had to occur because it had to. Millions of men, renouncing their human feelings and reason, had to go from west to east to slay their fellows, just as some centuries previously hordes of men had come from the east to the west, slaying their fellows.
The actions of Napoleon and Alexander, on whose words the event seemed to hang, were as little voluntary as the actions of any soldier who was drawn into the campaign by lot or by conscription. This could not be otherwise, for in order that the will of Napoleon and Alexander (on whom the event seemed to depend) should be carried out, the concurrence of innumerable circumstances was needed without any one of which the event could not have taken place. It was necessary that millions of men in whose hands lay the real power- the soldiers who fired, or transported provisions and guns- should consent to carry out the will of these weak individuals, and should have been induced to do so by an infinite number of diverse and complex causes.
We are forced to fall back on fatalism as an explanation of irrational events (that is to say, events the reasonableness of which we do not understand). The more we try to explain such events in history reasonably, the more unreasonable and incomprehensible do they become to us.
Each man lives for himself, using his freedom to attain his personal aims, and feels with his whole being that he can now do or abstain from doing this or that action; but as soon as he has done it, that action performed at a certain moment in time becomes irrevocable and belongs to history, in which it has not a free but a predestined significance.
There are two sides to the life of every man, his individual life, which is the more free the more abstract its interests, and his elemental hive life in which he inevitably obeys laws laid down for him.
Man lives consciously for himself, but is an unconscious instrument in the attainment of the historic, universal, aims of humanity. A deed done is irrevocable, and its result coinciding in time with the actions of millions of other men assumes an historic significance. The higher a man stands on the social ladder, the more people he is connected with and the more power he has over others, the more evident is the predestination and inevitability of his every action.
"The king's heart is in the hands of the Lord."
A king is history's slave.
History, that is, the unconscious, general, hive life of mankind, uses every moment of the life of kings as a tool for its own purposes.
Though Napoleon at that time, in 1812, was more convinced than ever that it depended on him, verser (ou ne pas verser) le sang de ses peuples*- as Alexander expressed it in the last letter he wrote him- he had never been so much in the grip of inevitable laws, which compelled him, while thinking that he was acting on his own volition, to perform for the hive life- that is to say, for history- whatever had to be performed.
*"To shed (or not to shed) the blood of his peoples."
The people of the west moved eastwards to slay their fellow men, and by the law of coincidence thousands of minute causes fitted in and co-ordinated to produce that movement and war: reproaches for the nonobservance of the Continental System, the Duke of Oldenburg's wrongs, the movement of troops into Prussia- undertaken (as it seemed to Napoleon) only for the purpose of securing an armed peace, the French Emperor's love and habit of war coinciding with his people's inclinations, allurement by the grandeur of the preparations, and the expenditure on those preparations and the need of obtaining advantages to compensate for that expenditure, the intoxicating honors he received in Dresden, the diplomatic negotiations which, in the opinion of contemporaries, were carried on with a sincere desire to attain peace, but which only wounded the self-love of both sides, and millions and millions of other causes that adapted themselves to the event that was happening or coincided with it.
When an apple has ripened and falls, why does it fall? Because of its attraction to the earth, because its stalk withers, because it is dried by the sun, because it grows heavier, because the wind shakes it, or because the boy standing below wants to eat it?
Nothing is the cause. All this is only the coincidence of conditions in which all vital organic and elemental events occur. And the botanist who finds that the apple falls because the cellular tissue decays and so forth is equally right with the child who stands under the tree and says the apple fell because he wanted to eat it and prayed for it. Equally right or wrong is he who says that Napoleon went to Moscow because he wanted to, and perished because Alexander desired his destruction, and he who says that an undermined hill weighing a million tons fell because the last navvy struck it for the last time with his mattock. In historic events the so-called great men are labels giving names to events, and like labels they have but the smallest connection with the event itself.
Every act of theirs, which appears to them an act of their own will, is in an historical sense involuntary and is related to the whole course of history and predestined from eternity.

From the close of the year 1811 intensified arming and concentrating of the forces of Western Europe began, and in 1812 these forces- millions of men, reckoning those transporting and feeding the army- moved from the west eastwards to the Russian frontier, toward which since 1811 Russian forces had been similarly drawn. On the twelfth of June, 1812, the forces of Western Europe crossed the Russian frontier and war began, that is, an event took place opposed to human reason and to human nature. Millions of men perpetrated against one another such innumerable crimes, frauds, treacheries, thefts, forgeries, issues of false money, burglaries, incendiarisms, and murders as in whole centuries are not recorded in the annals of all the law courts of the world, but which those who committed them did not at the time regard as being crimes.
What produced this extraordinary occurrence? What were its causes? The historians tell us with naive assurance that its causes were the wrongs inflicted on the Duke of Oldenburg, the nonobservance of the Continental System, the ambition of Napoleon, the firmness of Alexander, the mistakes of the diplomatists, and so on.
Consequently, it would only have been necessary for Metternich, Rumyantsev, or Talleyrand, between a levee and an evening party, to have taken proper pains and written a more adroit note, or for Napoleon to have written to Alexander: "My respected Brother, I consent to restore the duchy to the Duke of Oldenburg"- and there would have been no war.
We can understand that the matter seemed like that to contemporaries. It naturally seemed to Napoleon that the war was caused by England's intrigues (as in fact he said on the island of St. Helena). It naturally seemed to members of the English Parliament that the cause of the war was Napoleon's ambition; to the Duke of Oldenburg, that the cause of the war was the violence done to him; to businessmen that the cause of the way was the Continental System which was ruining Europe; to the generals and old soldiers that the chief reason for the war was the necessity of giving them employment; to the legitimists of that day that it was the need of re-establishing les bons principes, and to the diplomatists of that time that it all resulted from the fact that the alliance between Russia and Austria in 1809 had not been sufficiently well concealed from Napoleon, and from the awkward wording of Memorandum No. 178. It is natural that these and a countless and infinite quantity of other reasons, the number depending on the endless diversity of points of view, presented themselves to the men of that day; but to us, to posterity who view the thing that happened in all its magnitude and perceive its plain and terrible meaning, these causes seem insufficient. To us it is incomprehensible that millions of Christian men killed and tortured each other either because Napoleon was ambitious or Alexander was firm, or because England's policy was astute or the Duke of Oldenburg wronged. We cannot grasp what connection such circumstances have with the actual fact of slaughter and violence: why because the Duke was wronged, thousands of men from the other side of Europe killed and ruined the people of Smolensk and Moscow and were killed by them.
To us, their descendants, who are not historians and are not carried away by the process of research and can therefore regard the event with unclouded common sense, an incalculable number of causes present themselves. The deeper we delve in search of these causes the more of them we find; and each separate cause or whole series of causes appears to us equally valid in itself and equally false by its insignificance compared to the magnitude of the events, and by its impotence- apart from the cooperation of all the other coincident causes- to occasion the event. To us, the wish or objection of this or that French corporal to serve a second term appears as much a cause as Napoleon's refusal to withdraw his troops beyond the Vistula and to restore the duchy of Oldenburg; for had he not wished to serve, and had a second, a third, and a thousandth corporal and private also refused, there would have been so many less men in Napoleon's army and the war could not have occurred.
Had Napoleon not taken offense at the demand that he should withdraw beyond the Vistula, and not ordered his troops to advance, there would have been no war; but had all his sergeants objected to serving a second term then also there could have been no war. Nor could there have been a war had there been no English intrigues and no Duke of Oldenburg, and had Alexander not felt insulted, and had there not been an autocratic government in Russia, or a Revolution in France and a subsequent dictatorship and Empire, or all the things that produced the French Revolution, and so on. Without each of these causes nothing could have happened. So all these causes- myriads of causes- coincided to bring it about. And so there was no one cause for that occurrence, but it had to occur because it had to. Millions of men, renouncing their human feelings and reason, had to go from west to east to slay their fellows, just as some centuries previously hordes of men had come from the east to the west, slaying their fellows.
The actions of Napoleon and Alexander, on whose words the event seemed to hang, were as little voluntary as the actions of any soldier who was drawn into the campaign by lot or by conscription. This could not be otherwise, for in order that the will of Napoleon and Alexander (on whom the event seemed to depend) should be carried out, the concurrence of innumerable circumstances was needed without any one of which the event could not have taken place. It was necessary that millions of men in whose hands lay the real power- the soldiers who fired, or transported provisions and guns- should consent to carry out the will of these weak individuals, and should have been induced to do so by an infinite number of diverse and complex causes.
We are forced to fall back on fatalism as an explanation of irrational events (that is to say, events the reasonableness of which we do not understand). The more we try to explain such events in history reasonably, the more unreasonable and incomprehensible do they become to us.
Each man lives for himself, using his freedom to attain his personal aims, and feels with his whole being that he can now do or abstain from doing this or that action; but as soon as he has done it, that action performed at a certain moment in time becomes irrevocable and belongs to history, in which it has not a free but a predestined significance.
There are two sides to the life of every man, his individual life, which is the more free the more abstract its interests, and his elemental hive life in which he inevitably obeys laws laid down for him.
Man lives consciously for himself, but is an unconscious instrument in the attainment of the historic, universal, aims of humanity. A deed done is irrevocable, and its result coinciding in time with the actions of millions of other men assumes an historic significance. The higher a man stands on the social ladder, the more people he is connected with and the more power he has over others, the more evident is the predestination and inevitability of his every action.
History, that is, the unconscious, general, hive life of mankind, uses every moment of the life of kings as a tool for its own purposes.
Though Napoleon at that time, in 1812, was more convinced than ever that it depended on him, verser (ou ne pas verser) le sang de ses peuples*- as Alexander expressed it in the last letter he wrote him- he had never been so much in the grip of inevitable laws, which compelled him, while thinking that he was acting on his own volition, to perform for the hive life- that is to say, for history- whatever had to be performed.
The people of the west moved eastwards to slay their fellow men, and by the law of coincidence thousands of minute causes fitted in and co-ordinated to produce that movement and war: reproaches for the nonobservance of the Continental System, the Duke of Oldenburg's wrongs, the movement of troops into Prussia- undertaken (as it seemed to Napoleon) only for the purpose of securing an armed peace, the French Emperor's love and habit of war coinciding with his people's inclinations, allurement by the grandeur of the preparations, and the expenditure on those preparations and the need of obtaining advantages to compensate for that expenditure, the intoxicating honors he received in Dresden, the diplomatic negotiations which, in the opinion of contemporaries, were carried on with a sincere desire to attain peace, but which only wounded the self-love of both sides, and millions and millions of other causes that adapted themselves to the event that was happening or coincided with it.
When an apple has ripened and falls, why does it fall? Because of its attraction to the earth, because its stalk withers, because it is dried by the sun, because it grows heavier, because the wind shakes it, or because the boy standing below wants to eat it?
Nothing is the cause. All this is only the coincidence of conditions in which all vital organic and elemental events occur. And the botanist who finds that the apple falls because the cellular tissue decays and so forth is equally right with the child who stands under the tree and says the apple fell because he wanted to eat it and prayed for it. Equally right or wrong is he who says that Napoleon went to Moscow because he wanted to, and perished because Alexander desired his destruction, and he who says that an undermined hill weighing a million tons fell because the last navvy struck it for the last time with his mattock. In historic events the so-called great men are labels giving names to events, and like labels they have but the smallest connection with the event itself.
Every act of theirs, which appears to them an act of their own will, is in an historical sense involuntary and is related to the whole course of history and predestined from eternity.

you read my mind!

When people are unhappy they tend to make negative comments. No need to give a damn about what your parents, you'll have no greater satisfaction than proving them wrong!

FFrom the close of the year 1811 intensified arming and concentrating of the forces of Western Europe began, and in 1812 these forces- millions of men, reckoning those transporting and feeding the army- moved from the west eastwards to the Russian frontier, toward which since 1811 Russian forces had been similarly drawn. On the twelfth of June, 1812, the forces of Western Europe crossed the Russian frontier and war began, that is, an event took place opposed to human reason and to human nature. Millions of men perpetrated against one another such innumerable crimes, frauds, treacheries, thefts, forgeries, issues of false money, burglaries, incendiarisms, and murders as in whole centuries are not recorded in the annals of all the law courts of the world, but which those who committed them did not at the time regard as being crimes.

You don't happen to be Schizophrenic do you?

To OP:

You have a decent shot at med school no matter where you are, as long as you are willing to put in the work. Your parents can't control you forever, nor do they have any right to.
Do well in your city college and transfer to a ranked university next year=)

I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. ... I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up. When my body says stop my spirit will always say “NEVER!” For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

It is unrealistic to focus on one or two top schools even if you were already a college student with straight A's and high MCAT, but even more unrealistic as a high school senior. Focus on doing well enough in college to have a shot at ANY US med school. It's going to be an uphill battle just to accomplish that. You may find you aren't as interested in medicine once you know more about it, so work in some volunteering/shadowing while you are in college. And

FWIW, med school is not something you go into just to spite your parents. It is a long and grueling path and you really have to know what you are getting yourself into and really want it for your life, not just to prove something.

My favorite was the "my friends, brothers and sisters" bit.

Dude. Do what you want. Don't let your parents prevent you from reaching a dream as attainable as being a doctor.

It is unrealistic to focus on one or two top schools even if you were already a college student with straight A's and high MCAT, but even more unrealistic as a high school senior. Focus on doing well enough in college to have a shot at ANY US med school. It's going to be an uphill battle just to accomplish that. You may find you aren't as interested in medicine once you know more about it, so work in some volunteering/shadowing while you are in college. And

FWIW, med school is not something you go into just to spite your parents. It is a long and grueling path and you really have to know what you are getting yourself into and really want it for your life, not just to prove something.
hey law2doc, you're almost at 11,000 posts!

Follow this advice. The worst thing you could do is go through med school and end up hating it. Know what you're getting yourself into first.

For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

Cart before the horse, dude. Just go to college and enjoy yourself. See where you are after a semester or two, and make your decision about how hard you want to pursue medicine after that.

If you want to get out of your house, you take out big time loans to pay for the dorms. If you don't want to go into that kind of debt, then suck it up and stay at home. Every choice has a price, you have to decide how much these things are worth. You're an adult now, you don't get to blame anyone else anymore.

P.S. - I find it kind of bizarre that your parents already have your career picked out for you. If it were me, I'd do anything possible to move out.

I couldn't agree more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read it all either. Anyway, if you want to accomplish something, you need to learn to ignore the nay-sayers and listen to people who believe in you and to people who had already accomplished what you seek to accomplish. Get a premed advisor, keep your focus, and earn your way to your objective. You earn it every day.

I'm glad you didn't take their advice and apply directly to pharmacy schools... I don't think they'd look kindly on the fact that you have none of the pre-reqs they require! Seriously though, go to whatever school that you feel most at home at (that you actually got accepted to of course...) Half the point of college is to get out of the parent's house and gain some independance, so I urge you to consider that. I know it's tough when someone else is holding the purse strings though. It's just one of those 'adult' decisions you're gonna have to make, unfortunately. Plenty of people get by on loans if necessary, and plenty of others choose the route of working a part time job to pay rent. They do fine as well. I think an important thing to consider, though, is just how toxic of a situation do you have at home? There's no point in going to the nearby school to save $$ if the environment is going to distract you to the point of making bad grades. You'd be wasting time AND money if you went that route. At any rate, best of luck whatever your decision is!

that is a lot of words, and entirely too small. and after skimming it, i'd say: forget your parents.

if you want to be a doctor, you will get there. if it's the city college thing that's bothering your parents, go for a year, get decent grades, and transfer to a ranked university.

Seriously!!!!!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You now realize that you will not be able to depend on your parents for much moral support....That's too bad, but regardless just DEAL WITH IT.

You have to DO YOU and not worry about pleasing your parents. I say chalk it up to experience and keep moving.

I am currently a High School Senior. I ended up making some mistakes in high school and now I am ending up going to a regular city college, not a community college. This got my parents really pissed because they had originally planned on me applying to a pharmacy school. They told me a few months before my college admission process to apply to Pharmacy schools. I never wanted to be a pharmacist because I feel I am capable of doing much better and can apply myself and get through medical school to become a doctor. (Not to say that being a pharmacist is a bad career, because I believe it is one of the top careers in the science field.) Besides trying to force me into a career that I never chose to pursue, my parents always argues with each other everyday. I believe this is probably because of their arranged marriage. They argued even more whenever I had huge standardized exams to study for such as the SATs. I remember every single night during the period while I was studying for the SATs, I would cry myself to sleep. After getting low scores on my SATs my mother has always acted like a b!tch, treating me like crap calling me a midget and a bastard. My father is just as worse calling me a son of a b!tch. They also had done this before but now they do it more often, like every single day. I am a good student. In my high school I am ranked 14 in a class of 500 students. I have a 3.92 cumulative GPA and am hard working. But I have met my demise after my parents started arguing. With low SAT scores but a high GPA I ended up getting accepted to Binghamton University, Stony Brook Waitlisted, CUNY Hunter and CUNY City College. I really wanted to go to Binghamton, but parents won’t let me go cause of its tuition of about $14,000 and they don’t want me dorming. They said they want me to go to Stony by taking the Railroad every morning and commuting if I get accepted. So far I am probably going to go to CUNY Hunter and do pre-med. But every single day, my both my parents b!tch at me saying that I can never be a doctor after what happened on my SATs. They say I am going to **** up on the MCATs like the SATs. I feel like cursing my parents out and telling them that the reason why I got such low scores was because of their arguing while I tried to study. They would literally stand right next to me and start arguing as if I wasn’t next to them. I feel like telling them how I feel, but I know that they will start b!tching at me even more. I dream about studying really hard in whatever college I get into and get an above average score on my MCATs and try extremely hard to maintain a 4.0 GPA and commit myself to unique EC that will get me into medical school. I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. I dream one day I will write a book describing my struggle. I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up. When my body says stop my spirit will always say “NEVER!” For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

You should definatly try to convince them to let you going to Binghamton University. Its a great state school, though I am biased :rolleyes: . I dont know where you got you $14000 for tuition figure but it seems as though you are a New York state resident and the tuition for instate is only $4350. That pluss all the fees comes to $16965, which is a amazing deal. It sucks that they dont like the idea of your dorming, but they seem to be very concerned about your success, so I would think that you could convince them that it would be worth it. Anywya, just my $0.02. Good luck where ever you end up going!

That's hilarious.

I am currently a High School Senior. I ended up making some mistakes in high school and now I am ending up going to a regular city college, not a community college. This got my parents really pissed because they had originally planned on me applying to a pharmacy school. They told me a few months before my college admission process to apply to Pharmacy schools. I never wanted to be a pharmacist because I feel I am capable of doing much better and can apply myself and get through medical school to become a doctor. (Not to say that being a pharmacist is a bad career, because I believe it is one of the top careers in the science field.) Besides trying to force me into a career that I never chose to pursue, my parents always argues with each other everyday. I believe this is probably because of their arranged marriage. They argued even more whenever I had huge standardized exams to study for such as the SATs. I remember every single night during the period while I was studying for the SATs, I would cry myself to sleep. After getting low scores on my SATs my mother has always acted like a b!tch, treating me like crap calling me a midget and a bastard. My father is just as worse calling me a son of a b!tch. They also had done this before but now they do it more often, like every single day. I am a good student. In my high school I am ranked 14 in a class of 500 students. I have a 3.92 cumulative GPA and am hard working. But I have met my demise after my parents started arguing. With low SAT scores but a high GPA I ended up getting accepted to Binghamton University, Stony Brook Waitlisted, CUNY Hunter and CUNY City College. I really wanted to go to Binghamton, but parents won't let me go cause of its tuition of about $14,000 and they don't want me dorming. They said they want me to go to Stony by taking the Railroad every morning and commuting if I get accepted. So far I am probably going to go to CUNY Hunter and do pre-med. But every single day, my both my parents b!tch at me saying that I can never be a doctor after what happened on my SATs. They say I am going to **** up on the MCATs like the SATs. I feel like cursing my parents out and telling them that the reason why I got such low scores was because of their arguing while I tried to study. They would literally stand right next to me and start arguing as if I wasn't next to them. I feel like telling them how I feel, but I know that they will start b!tching at me even more. I dream about studying really hard in whatever college I get into and get an above average score on my MCATs and try extremely hard to maintain a 4.0 GPA and commit myself to unique EC that will get me into medical school. I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. I dream one day I will write a book describing my struggle. I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up. When my body says stop my spirit will always say "NEVER!" For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

If you want to get out of your house, you take out big time loans to pay for the dorms. If you don't want to go into that kind of debt, then suck it up and stay at home.

If you choose to live with your toxic parents, at least start studying in the library to avoid the distractions they are inflicting on you..

Rocky, I know someone who went to CUNY for undergrad (no money) and managed to get into Cornell Med School. They were really hard working, and they were first in their class (3.97 GPA). So there is still great hope for you.

Note: They moved here from Russia 2 years before undergrad (had to redo 2 years of HS) knowing no english, and still managed to get almost perfect GPA by end of 4 years in college. But still, I don't think the reason of immigration was the only reason they were accepted.

Good luck!

Is it me, or do all newbies seem to come with such baggages and post these long arduous messages as their first post after the required new member post?

Just saying...just saying.

I never really had the luxury of having biological parents, but if I were in your situation I would probably keep doing what I am doing and not pay attention to all that stuff.

I had a pretty horrible high school GPA. My parents wanted me to join the military.

I have a 3.75, and will be graduating with a double major in Biology and Chemistry. A lot of people thought I was an idiot coming out of high school, I'm not, so I'm not worried about it.

Other people don't tell me my future, I do.

I never really had the luxury of having biological parents, but if I were in your situation I would probably keep doing what I am doing and not pay attention to all that stuff.

Biological ties are overrated.

Biological ties are overrated.

This is in fact true. I had many orphan friends that can attest to that. For the most part, parents are like any other relationship, you could have good ones or bad ones.

Move out.

Go to school where you want to- take out loans if needed.

Study what you want to. Take your time choosing a career. Heck, take some time off to work in different fields to see how you like them, getting to an MD isn't a race.

Set ground rules with your parents. Say "It is unacceptable to talk to me in x, y, or z way and I will hang up the phone if you speak to me in that way. If we can treat each other like normal, sane adults we can have a conversation." You may love 'em, but it doesn't mean they're good for you, and it doesn't entitle them to using you as a punching bag.

I call troll. Either that, or this guy needs to grow a spine. Once you turn 18, you don't have to do what your parents tell you to do.

Prove them wrong.

I feel really sorry for the OP. You must be going through a really difficult time. Your parents possibly think they are doing the right thing/helping/motivating you. I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes parents are no good at that whole 'supportive environment' thing.

My mum ALWAYS told me during high school that I wasnt smart enought to do medicine (btw my mum = nurse :eek: ) So, even though I made good grades, I did what everyone expected of me during my undergrad; and you know what, I still had a passion to do medicine. NOW after 4 years of doing what everyone else wanted me to do, I am finally going to do what I want to do - and it feels SO good to be in control!

While it is not easy to move out of home/stand up for yourself, sometimes you just have to do it. Otherwise, you could try calmly talking to them about the situation? It seems like they are really getting you down, and I am sure that is not what they want. It would probably make them feel terrible to know how their relationship with each other, and how you seem to be getting the grunt of it, is affecting not only your academic achievments, but also your health (you seem quite depressed/anxious).

Good luck to you. If this is what YOU are ment to do, and if it is what YOU want to do, YOU (and not your parents) are in control of making it happen!

It seems from reading your long post that your parents do not have faith in you, and have lost confidence in you. The SAT's are nothing like the MCATS. Just because you didn't kill the SAT, doesn't mean you cant do well on the MCAT. I hated the verbal portion of the SAT, i took it a LONG time ago, all the word analogies... I believe you can excel in college, whereever you choose to go. Your parents are being selfish, rude, and discouraging. Perhaps they think they will be embarrased in their community if you don't succeed. This is America, the land of oppurtunity, you can do whatever you wish.

As hard as this may be for you to consider, I suggest taking out the loans for college, and living in the dorms away from your parents. I know paying for everything will be very hard, but at this rate, your parents are damaging you psychologically to the point where who knows what will be left of you after another 4 years with them. Their discussion of your career is premature, pharmacy or medicine, many of the prereqs are the same. Perhaps telling them this will shut them up for a little.

I'm not sure why your parents are calling you midget etc in anger, but it is abusive, don't mind other SDNers who are mocking your situation, I suggest you talk to some of your friends about this, and try to leave home as soon as possible.

OP, every man can forge his own way, if he's willing to pay a price. The price here seems to be the loans required to live independantly. YOu can have that freedom, if you're willing to be in debt financially. Only you can decide if the monetary cost is worth the additional freedom. If I were in your situation, I would probably get some physical distance between me and your parents. Since you're only a senior in HS, I would advise you to keep medicine as one of many options for careers, and to major in something you enjoy. I was a history and french major and studied those things because I enjoyed them. You'll be in college only a few years compared to your eventual professional life, so study something that you might not have the chance to study in depth ever again.

Don't pick medicine as revenge for some perceived mistreatement on the part of your parents. Pick medicine for more altruistic reasons, though the revenge thing might make an interesting PS.

I call troll. Either that, or this guy needs to grow a spine. Once you turn 18, you don't have to do what your parents tell you to do.

you do if you are accepting financial help from them. nothing is worse than someone who throws a fit while in the same breath asking for next semester's tuition. of course nothing should be your parents decision but at this point in the game, its still a teamwork thing even if you are technically an adult (for most people, certainly not all have to or can be financially dependent)

you do if you are accepting financial help from them. nothing is worse than someone who throws a fit while in the same breath asking for next semester's tuition. of course nothing should be your parents decision but at this point in the game, its still a teamwork thing even if you are technically an adult (for most people, certainly not all have to or can be financially dependent)

Binghamton is pretty cheap. I got a few grants and took out some subsidized loans and ended up paying roughly $400 a semester.

I also only skimmed it, but I'd say do whatever makes you happy.

I bet the Adcoms will EAT UP YOUR STORY about your parents like nobodies business. If you can get a decent GPA, EC's and use that story you told us, you will get into at least one med school. I know I would let you in if I was an adcom.

Med schools love people who come out strong from a disadvantaged position, it tells them that if put into another stressed or disadvantaged position, they will most likely make it out okay.

the process is HARD AS HELL, make sure your not doing it just to piss off your parents. Good luck :thumbup:

Definitely make this a point in your medical school application, should you so choose to go that route.

And I second the monetary cost vs. personal freedom idea. I'm still at home because I have a good relationship with my parents, but if I did not, you can bet your ass that I'd be busting my own to get the hell out. Maybe you need to do something similar - I'd imagine you'll be happier.

"You'll never be a doc," they say? **** 'em. If you want to be a doc, you go be a doc. And when you graduate, be sure to send them a letter/postcard signed with "your name, MD".

I think most of the comments here are missing the point. Maybe the OP really is a midget or a bastard. If so, you really can't blame the parents. They're just calling it like they see it.

But of course I'm just being a smart@ss. OP, get out now. Sell your body if you must to support yourself. Your parents are pretty much evil.

Good luck!

they prefer "small people"

I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. I dream one day I will write a book describing my struggle. I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up.
Okay, Dr. King, it sounds good on paper/LCD, but when the rubber hits the road, it's more than just "hard work" that will get you into the top of your field. Let's give organic chemistry a go before you decide you're going to Harvard.

unless your parents are on the admissions committee at a medical school (and judging from their disparaging comments, they very well could be...) their comments shouldn't affect you in any way. i said "shouldn't" because most of us want to make our parents proud, so hearing these constant put downs would be extremely depressing - maybe even considered a hardship. perhaps you can qualify as a disadvantaged applicant...

I bet the Adcoms will EAT UP YOUR STORY about your parents like nobodies business. If you can get a decent GPA, EC's and use that story you told us, you will get into at least one med school. I know I would let you in if I was an adcom.

Med schools love people who come out strong from a disadvantaged position, it tells them that if put into another stressed or disadvantaged position, they will most likely make it out okay.

the process is HARD AS HELL, make sure your not doing it just to piss off your parents. Good luck :thumbup:

No way. You don't want to write an essay which indicates that the two people who know you best and longest don't think you have the aptitude for med school. That would be a really bad move.

I am currently a High School Senior. I ended up making some mistakes in high school and now I am ending up going to a regular city college, not a community college. This got my parents really pissed because they had originally planned on me applying to a pharmacy school. They told me a few months before my college admission process to apply to Pharmacy schools. I never wanted to be a pharmacist because I feel I am capable of doing much better and can apply myself and get through medical school to become a doctor. (Not to say that being a pharmacist is a bad career, because I believe it is one of the top careers in the science field.) Besides trying to force me into a career that I never chose to pursue, my parents always argues with each other everyday. I believe this is probably because of their arranged marriage. They argued even more whenever I had huge standardized exams to study for such as the SATs. I remember every single night during the period while I was studying for the SATs, I would cry myself to sleep. After getting low scores on my SATs my mother has always acted like a b!tch, treating me like crap calling me a midget and a bastard. My father is just as worse calling me a son of a b!tch. They also had done this before but now they do it more often, like every single day. I am a good student. In my high school I am ranked 14 in a class of 500 students. I have a 3.92 cumulative GPA and am hard working. But I have met my demise after my parents started arguing. With low SAT scores but a high GPA I ended up getting accepted to Binghamton University, Stony Brook Waitlisted, CUNY Hunter and CUNY City College. I really wanted to go to Binghamton, but parents won't let me go cause of its tuition of about $14,000 and they don't want me dorming. They said they want me to go to Stony by taking the Railroad every morning and commuting if I get accepted. So far I am probably going to go to CUNY Hunter and do pre-med. But every single day, my both my parents b!tch at me saying that I can never be a doctor after what happened on my SATs. They say I am going to **** up on the MCATs like the SATs. I feel like cursing my parents out and telling them that the reason why I got such low scores was because of their arguing while I tried to study. They would literally stand right next to me and start arguing as if I wasn't next to them. I feel like telling them how I feel, but I know that they will start b!tching at me even more. I dream about studying really hard in whatever college I get into and get an above average score on my MCATs and try extremely hard to maintain a 4.0 GPA and commit myself to unique EC that will get me into medical school. I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. I dream one day I will write a book describing my struggle. I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up. When my body says stop my spirit will always say "NEVER!" For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

Listen
My parents always tried to get me to "just work" after high school. They come from a different type of background than most med students, and they didnt't really get the idea of going to school for a long time, or not taking your lifelong job after HS. Again, after I got my BSN they kept telling me I was silly basically for wanting to go to med school, and I should be an NP, etc. Also, you have to learn the hard way, but for people like us you can't get your parents to pay. I had to pay all of my own education/expenses, etc without a penny help, so don't let that discourage you.
Oh and about the SAT, don't worry about it. I really feel it's a highly trained test. I didn't even know stuff like prep courses existed back then, and I didn't do all that great. BUT look at me now, I teach for Princeton (MCAT). I also did a LOT better on MCAT VR than many many people I knew who blew the SAT verbal out of the water. So don't worry about it. Go with your gut!!! Good luck:luck:

sell your parents to a freak show. sounds like they'd fetch a high price so you won't need loans for med school.

OP, it sounds like your parents are extremely controlling. I think it would be a good idea to move out and live in a dorm next year if possible at whichever school you decide to go to.

If you have to go to school part time so that you can work to pay for it by yourself, it might be worth it. Loans are available too.

By the way, the MCAT is based more on how much you can memorize (except for the verbal section) versus the reasoning in the SAT, so they are different kinds of tests. A low SAT score does not mean you'll get a low MCAT.

OP, it sounds like your parents are extremely controlling. I think it would be a good idea to move out and live in a dorm next year if possible at whichever school you decide to go to.

If you have to go to school part time so that you can work to pay for it by yourself, it might be worth it. Loans are available too.

By the way, the MCAT is based more on how much you can memorize (except for the verbal section) versus the reasoning in the SAT, so they are different kinds of tests. A low SAT score does not mean you'll get a low MCAT.

See I thought it was a tad the opposite comparing SAT to MCAT. I thought the SAT was just memorizing or knowing big words, the MCAT was more about reasoning (the Bio and verbal sections aty least). The physics I felt was more straight up problem solving, but everyone has their own view.
Either way you are right, SAT and MCAT scores don't have to be in the same range.

Rocky, I am curious, exactly how short are you? Surgeons tend to be over 6 foot, so what specialties are you considering??

I am currently a High School Senior. I ended up making some mistakes in high school and now I am ending up going to a regular city college, not a community college. This got my parents really pissed because they had originally planned on me applying to a pharmacy school. They told me a few months before my college admission process to apply to Pharmacy schools. I never wanted to be a pharmacist because I feel I am capable of doing much better and can apply myself and get through medical school to become a doctor. (Not to say that being a pharmacist is a bad career, because I believe it is one of the top careers in the science field.) Besides trying to force me into a career that I never chose to pursue, my parents always argues with each other everyday. I believe this is probably because of their arranged marriage. They argued even more whenever I had huge standardized exams to study for such as the SATs. I remember every single night during the period while I was studying for the SATs, I would cry myself to sleep. After getting low scores on my SATs my mother has always acted like a b!tch, treating me like crap calling me a midget and a bastard. My father is just as worse calling me a son of a b!tch. They also had done this before but now they do it more often, like every single day.

Sorry to hear that you have struggled with your SATs but now they are behind you and you have an opportunity to do your best as an undergraduate student in college. No matter what your parents say or do, your achievements are your's alone. You can make up your mind (as you already have) to do your best and keep doing well. Let the names roll off because when they call you the names above, they are showing how disappointed they are with themselves.

Your parents gave you life and it's up to you as to how your live your life. You will be an adult next year so make your own decisions and put the past behind you. You can't do anything about the past but you can decide right this minute that no derogative comment will sway you from achieving your goal. Keep positive thoughts in your mind even if you have to repeat them over and over to drown out the negative comments from your parents.

I am a good student. In my high school I am ranked 14 in a class of 500 students. I have a 3.92 cumulative GPA and am hard working. But I have met my demise after my parents started arguing. With low SAT scores but a high GPA I ended up getting accepted to Binghamton University, Stony Brook Waitlisted, CUNY Hunter and CUNY City College. I really wanted to go to Binghamton, but parents won’t let me go cause of its tuition of about $14,000 and they don’t want me dorming. They said they want me to go to Stony by taking the Railroad every morning and commuting if I get accepted. So far I am probably going to go to CUNY Hunter and do pre-med. But every single day, my both my parents b!tch at me saying that I can never be a doctor after what happened on my SATs. They say I am going to **** up on the MCATs like the SATs. I feel like cursing my parents out and telling them that the reason why I got such low scores was because of their arguing while I tried to study. They would literally stand right next to me and start arguing as if I wasn’t next to them. I feel like telling them how I feel, but I know that they will start b!tching at me even more.

As I said above, you have an opportunity here so tune out your parents, study at the library and get good grades. The MCAT is totally different from the SAT and if you prepare well, you can do well on the MCAT. Start out on the first day of college with the idea that you are going to do everything possible to achieve your dreams. "What you do today, affects tomorrow"

I dream about studying really hard in whatever college I get into and get an above average score on my MCATs and try extremely hard to maintain a 4.0 GPA and commit myself to unique EC that will get me into medical school. I dream about applying and then one day getting accepted to medical schools such as John Hopkins or Harvard and proving my parents wrong. I dream one day I will write a book describing my struggle. I know I can achieve these dream if I work hard enough. I will never give up. When my body says stop my spirit will always say “NEVER!” For this reason I ask my brothers, sisters, colleagues and friends for life here at Student Doctor Network, will you help me achieve these dreams to whatever way you can? Can you please give me some advice. I have confidence I can achieve my dreams but I will need you guidance. I thank you for your time.

Hang out on SDN as much as you like. There is a "Mentor" Forum at the top of the Main Forums page where you can get answers to all of your questions right away. Ask your questions when you have them and need answers to them.

When you get to college, find the pre-med adviser and get your coursework scheduled properly. Make sure that you keep up with your classes and never look back. If you can dream something, you can achieve something so keep working hard.

Good luck in your studies at college, no matter where you wind up.Keep a positive attitude. :luck: