SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

parents occupation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NMH2001, Jan 10, 2002.

1. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma 10+ Year Member

May 26, 2001
    On the amcas application, why do you have to state what occuaption your parent's have and what level of education they have. Does this have any impact on your application?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud 7+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2001
    West of the Haight
    I think that if neither of your parents went to college (like mine) admissions people may look at your app in a different (but probably not significant) light. Anyway, its not like its going to hurt, right?

4. jaeida8

jaeida8 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Harlingen, TX
    At UTMB I was told that I qualified for a $40,000 scholarship (enough to cover tuition and books and a few extras) because my parents had only gone to high school.

5. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper 7+ Year Member

Sep 27, 2001
    Interesting... My father has an associate's degree and my mother only a high school diploma. I wonder if I can expect a hook-up. That would be nice!

I've got my fingers crossed ;) .

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Kentucky

7. gooseHC

gooseHC Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Both of my parents only went to high school too. I hope I get some sort of hookup, but I am not holding my breath. But on a couple of my interviews, they have asked about that, because I guess it is a rare thing for children of uneducated parents to attend med school. Who knows, but let's hope it can help me! :)
    Also, I think they ask to see if either of your parents are doctors, because that may have an effect on your interest in medicine..
    just my two cents...

8. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 20, 2001
    tx
    That's interesting. My parents technically only received a primary school education; it was a privilege in thier town to get an education past primary school. This is of course in an other country.