Parents procrastinating on taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brent311

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents never do their taxes before april and pay a fine every year for it but dont seem to care. I cant get them to do thier taxes early for my fafsa stuff so should I estimate an amount close what they made last year, or not even fill out the parents part?? what will they do if you put down the wrong amounts for your parents? what will happen if I dont put down any parent info??

Members don't see this ad.

Do their taxes for them and then send it in (no check included). Then fill out your FAFSA accordingly. That way, you're not lying and your parents will also learn a valuable lesson about being on time.

kinetic said:
Do their taxes for them and then send it in (no check included). Then fill out your FAFSA accordingly. That way, you're not lying and your parents will also learn a valuable lesson about being on time.

Um, no reason to do this. If you look at the FAFSA, it states very clearly that you can designate amounts as "estimates." For my husband's first two years of med school, my MIL was self-employed and always filed for a September extension. Never-the-less, we always had the FAFSA filed by January 31st, even if our own taxes were not completed yet. When you get your confirmation report from the feds, you can put in the updated amounts.

I certainly sympathize. My mom doesn't do her own taxes and doesn't seem to have a clear idea of how much she's making. Fortunately (a bittersweet fortune to be sure), my dad's income is much more straightforward. Since they're divorced, I just used his info.

Tho' I'm getting busted on my Rochester financial app. They want both parents' info. Hmph.