nicole20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
If my parents claim me on this year's tax forms, will this affect my fafsa that i am filling out this year for next year in med school? Will it affect my aid?

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Regardless of your tax status, all medical students are considered indepedent.

Some schools may ask for your parent's tax information on the FAFSA to make you eligibile for institutional grants and scholarshps. This will not affect your eligibility for federal loans. There are no federal grants for medical students.

LR4445

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
Can anyone help me with this please:
1. My parents claim as dependent in their joint return, and I file my tax as individual without claiming me as an exemption( I had less than 2500 as income),
OR
2. My parents file jointly without claiming me as dependent ( they will end up paying more tax), and I file as an individual.

Will there be any impact on the loans given by fafsa , or the additional finaid given by individual schools.

Which is preferable
with respect to fcompleting FAFSA ( for loans)
AND/OR
with respect to the med schools in evaluating their individual financial aid ( loan,grants etc)

About the Ads

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If this is for medical school it will likely not matter either way. You parent's income is not considered for federal loans. You parent's income may be a factor for institutional aid regardless of your tax status.

LR4445

10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
Thanks for the info.
I understand that you have to include parents' info in fafsa to be considered for financial aid given by the school.
When you include parents' info , does one of the parents need to sign the fafsa form, in addition to myself,
or just my signature is enough, with parents info.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
mpp said:
Regardless of your tax status, all medical students are considered indepedent.

Some schools may ask for your parent's tax information on the FAFSA to make you eligibile for institutional grants and scholarshps. This will not affect your eligibility for federal loans. There are no federal grants for medical students.
So ur parents income is not a factor in getting fed loans?

About the Ads