parents wanting to take the credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhopefulucla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
at the beginning of this year, i applied for admission to medical school, and have been fortunate enough to have been accepted at UCSF, UCLA, and UMich, among other schools, thus far into the cycle. to me, this is reflective of my extreme dedication to my schoolwork, to the hours and hours spent studying for classes while others were taking it easy, and to the effort that i put into studying for the mcat. because of my family's culture (i'm south asian, for those who care) my family and i rarely talk about what i've accomplished in a way that recognizes it as something "out of the ordinary". rather, when it does come up, it is spoken of as something that was expected. on the rare occasions that someone else brings it up, my parents are quick to take the credit, and say that the accomplishment was "all of ours". they talk about how they provided me with a stable environment, and raised me properly, and this, coupled with my hard work, is what has allowed me to be in the position that i am in today. although i realize that i am indebted to my parents for all that they have given me, is it kind of weird that they want to take the credit? has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Cut their heads off and throw them in the river.

Cut their heads off and throw them in the river.

i'd really rather not, because i DO love my parents. i just really want to know if this is normal, especially among others of south asian descent, because it's really starting to make me upset, and i want to make sure that the anger is justified...

Members don't see this ad :)
your parents are just happy that you got that far. of course its all thanks to them!!! my parents do the same thing, but i completely agree with them. they have given me everything and they deserve more than just the credit for me succeeding. appreciate what your parents have given you and continue working hard. congrats on your acceptances! and let your parents have this moment of pride, they deserve it too.

Well technically they did "create" you. ;)

you will do the same thing when your little kids score 40s and get into UCSF.

i disagree, parents may have placed u in the right environment, but we both know the work you must have done. they have a right to be proud, but not to take credit. that being said, you, and everyone else who can see your accomplishments know that you put in the work, so you just got to deal with it, and enjoy an excellent medical education.

Maybe the thousands of dollars (which probably translates into a few thousand hours of work) they spent to raise you is sufficient enough?

hey guys,
at the beginning of this year, i applied for admission to medical school, and have been fortunate enough to have been accepted at UCSF, UCLA, and UMich, among other schools, thus far into the cycle. to me, this is reflective of my extreme dedication to my schoolwork, to the hours and hours spent studying for classes while others were taking it easy, and to the effort that i put into studying for the mcat. because of my family's culture (i'm south asian, for those who care) my family and i rarely talk about what i've accomplished in a way that recognizes it as something "out of the ordinary". rather, when it does come up, it is spoken of as something that was expected. on the rare occasions that someone else brings it up, my parents are quick to take the credit, and say that the accomplishment was "all of ours". they talk about how they provided me with a stable environment, and raised me properly, and this, coupled with my hard work, is what has allowed me to be in the position that i am in today. although i realize that i am indebted to my parents for all that they have given me, is it kind of weird that they want to take the credit? has anyone else experienced anything like this?

that doesn't sound like taking the credit. they acknowledge the fact you work hard (you just told us that) but they also acknowledge the fact that they have also worked hard to give you all of the things that allowed you to succeed (as you just mentioned).

the fact that they say it is "all of ours" acknowledges everyones effort. they didnt say "the accomplishment was onlyh ours" (excluding you).

maybe you should try and see how they may have had more of an impact on your success than you think, instead of complaining they are trying to take too much credit.

At the risk and acknowledgment of generalizing cultures, I think you hit the nail on the head with the reference to your parent's culture. Most likely, for them, saying your accomplishments are "all of ours" isn't necessarily a way of belittling your hard work, but rather is likely their way of expressing that your accomplishments reflect positively on the entire family and the hard work the entire family has put into you gaining success. Unfortunately, such a mentality runs contrary to the concepts of individual success and "hard work against the odds" of our own American culture.

Me, I'm from an irish family who has never seen anyone in the family achieve anything beyond a GRE. So, I'm known at the family get-togethers as the "fookin' docter" and have to field an incessant line of questions about how I'm so "goddamn smart" and about the latest ailment of my aunt/cousin/uncle's dog/grandmother's uncle's sister, and the same questions seem to come up every holiday. I think we all try to find our own way through the unique heritage and experiences of our families. After all, America is a melting pot!

OP,

It is apparent by your post that you have never raised a child. While you have worked hard, and no doubt are entitled to kudos, your parents deserve their moment too.

Of all the things I've done in my life, raising children to be good, responsible people has been by far the most challenging. I know I sound like an old fart to all of you, but when you've raised some kids, come back and say their success isn't tied to the YEARS and, oh yeah, TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars it has taken to get them where they are.

My parents are 100% convinced that my MCAT score is a reflection on the amount of praying they do and has little to do with me. In my words, "Jesus' *** wasn't in the library until closing time for a year straight."

We all love our parents, even when they're being idiots. Realizing that they're backwards and ignorant is just another step towards becoming an adult. The next, and most important, step is to stop caring what they think because you're happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get over yourself, Hamlet. It comes with being Asian.

Speaking as a parent, I know that when my little guy accomplishes something (right now the big one is staying dry through the night ;)) I am incredibly proud of him, but I also feel it reflects on me as a parent. When you become a parent, no one hands you a "how-to" manual. You are forced into doing the best that you can, and sometimes you make mistakes and other times you succeed. My parents I know look for some sort of recognition just to reinforce that they are doing things right. I know if my son makes some stellar accomplishments like you have I will be very proud, but I will also have confirmation that I did something right while bringing him up. Don;t take offense. They may have worded it wrong, but I think they are just extremely proud of you and extremely happy that they parenting path they chose was a good one!!

Um, you're South Asia. So am I.

Chances are you got a stable home with a very strong emphasis on academics and career from an early age, including parental support and guidance in a nurturing environment. Without it, you would have been cleaning latrines at the Bombay railway station. Or, studying your *** off for 10th grade boards in India, missing the mark by .001 point, and ending up with a degree in B.Com.

The credit is theirs too, and you're a selfish little bastard.

drhopefulucla hey guys said:
I have a feeling that I know who you are, cuz everyone and their mom talks about you at the UCLA campus, (that and the fact that only 1 south asian from UCLA has gotten into UCLA, UCSF, and UMich so far)...and no I am not a stalker...
Back to the question...You are South Asian, and as such, everything you do will be for the good of the family. The person by himself will not amount to anything, and your parents are proud of you. If you remember in the South Asian culture, if they are not telling you to go study or how you will not amount to anything if you do not study, revel in these moments because these are the moments where they are actually saying they are truly proud of you, because in our culture, they cannot bring themselves to physically say it.

hey guys,

Hey there! Well, I think I can identify with you because my parents are immigrants (I was the first person in my family to be born in the U.S.-not sure if that applies to you). And I will give them all the credit in the world for my accomplishments b/c they have made so many sacrifices for me to get to this point. Do you ever think that the reason they came to the U.S. was so that you can have a better life? So that you had the opportunity to become a wonderful physician and get the best education possible? They had to give up a life that was so familiar, and start a new in a place where maybe they didn't know the language fully....maybe some of these don't apply to you, but they do apply to a lot of immigrant families. anyways, they deserve it! :)

hey guys,

So did your parents pay for your undergraduate education so that you would not have to take out loans or work at a job and therefore were able to put in all that extra time for studying and working so hard in your classes?

My guess is you are probably at that age where you've been on your own for just your undergraduate years, probably paid for by them, and you feel independent and autonomous. Fact is, when you get a little older you will kiss the ground your parents walk on for not being drug addicts, alcoholics, or lazy bums who didn't care if their child had a good life or not. The more you come across parents like that the more you'll learn to appreciate the foundation your parents built for you upon which you now stand. With maturity you won't be so upset about sharing some of the acknowledgement.

Being a good parent and raising kids well is harder than getting into med school.

Why not go to your parents today and say, "Mom, Dad, thank you so much for everything you have given me and all the opportunties you provided me with. Everything you did has helped me get to where I am today." Saying that doesn't mean you didn't earn the grade on the MCAT or earn your way into awesome schools. It just means you have the grace and maturity to understand that no one gets that far alone, without others supporting them.

:luck:

Hey there! Well, I think I can identify with you because my parents are immigrants (I was the first person in my family to be born in the U.S.-not sure if that applies to you). And I will give them all the credit in the world for my accomplishments b/c they have made so many sacrifices for me to get to this point. Do you ever think that the reason they came to the U.S. was so that you can have a better life? So that you had the opportunity to become a wonderful physician and get the best education possible? They had to give up a life that was so familiar, and start a new in a place where maybe they didn't know the language fully....maybe some of these don't apply to you, but they do apply to a lot of immigrant families. anyways, they deserve it! :)

:thumbup:

hey guys,

I can understand your feelings. Look at my location.. My parents are those super 100% conservative and traditional chinese type.. But who cares, if they want to take the credit, so be it.. because at the end of the day, you are the person, patients are going to look up to.. and not your parents.. They are just using your butt for their face.. (in chinese meaning)..

**Not meant to offend the T.S and anyone in the forum who understands chinese**

Just my opinion and pls delete where appropriate if my post *does* sound offensive.. Thank you moderators..:hardy:

While it is frustrating to not have your accomplishments seen as your own, and they definitely should be, you also do need to recognize how much your parents support has helped you. Not having parental support, emotionally and financially, makes the every-day of pre-med much more difficult. Working full time during college, getting kicked out of your house and not always being sure you have a place to stay, really effects your high school and college education. So if your parents created an environment in which you could study, get extra help if you needed it, and could go to college without always wondering how you would eat that night and where you would sleep, then it is partly their victory too, and you should give that to them.

drhopefulucla - as a fellow south asian myself I can attest to why your parents might be saying what they are. As others have said, your success is a reflection of the family's success, and your family is so proud that they, as a collective, have been able to "help" you get into medical school which in itself is such a huge accomplishment. I don't think they are trying to take credit as much as reiterating how your family as a unit has succeeded. Don't take their comments to heart and instead, be gracious (which I assume you are) for the little things that they did along the way that helped you reach your goals (i.e. pay for your education, send you home made daal and roti...etc - if any of these even apply). I'm sure they have sacrificed as much as you have but in a different way in helping you get into medical school. I am not a parent but I have watched my parents hurt and smile at all the good and bad things that have come along in not only getting into medical school but raising me as well. On the other hand, if it really bothers you, forgive them and think about those things that you did that were personally and only your achievements. Congratulations!

Um, you're South Asia. So am I.

Chances are you got a stable home with a very strong emphasis on academics and career from an early age, including parental support and guidance in a nurturing environment. Without it, you would have been cleaning latrines at the Bombay railway station. Or, studying your *** off for 10th grade boards in India, missing the mark by .001 point, and ending up with a degree in B.Com.

The credit is theirs too, and you're a selfish little bastard.

Ouch. :(

While it is frustrating to not have your accomplishments seen as your own, and they definitely should be, you also do need to recognize how much your parents support has helped you. Not having parental support, emotionally and financially, makes the every-day of pre-med much more difficult. Working full time during college, getting kicked out of your house and not always being sure you have a place to stay, really effects your high school and college education. So if your parents created an environment in which you could study, get extra help if you needed it, and could go to college without always wondering how you would eat that night and where you would sleep, then it is partly their victory too, and you should give that to them.

Without a doubt. Rather than worrying about who's getting the credit for your success (honestly is it even that important?), tell your parents thank you and that you're grateful for what they've been able to do for you. I would have given anything to have what you've had through undergrad and if my parents had been able to help me and wanted to take some credit I'd give them all of it. There are many things in life where you won't get the necessary praise for what you've done, probably more so in medicine than anything else, so you need not worry about it so much. Congrats on the acceptances :thumbup:

Without a doubt. Rather than worrying about who's getting the credit for your success (honestly is it even that important?), tell your parents thank you and that you're grateful for what they've been able to do for you. I would have given anything to have what you've had through undergrad and if my parents had been able to help me and wanted to take some credit I'd give them all of it. There are many things in life where you won't get the necessary praise for what you've done, probably more so in medicine than anything else, so you need not worry about it so much. Congrats on the acceptances :thumbup:

Exactly!!! The bolded part is exactly how i feel. My parents paid for my applications--it was the first thing they had paid for for my education since about 9th grade, when they got me a nice calculator, and every single time i get a piece of good news i thank them and remind them that i couldn't have done it without them. This has been such a stressful time, and finally developing a relationship with my mother and step-father this year has helped me through it so much.

It's just how parents are. according to my parents, I got accepted to medschool because they raised me to study. I have a pretty wife because they taught me how to treat a lady and I have adorable kids because of the genes they gave me.

It's just how it is. Parents can't seperate their identity from theri offspring.

Good luck to you.

PS My daughter graduated first in her preschool class because I worked so hard on the alphabet with her. My son is an amazing baseball player at three years old because I tossed him balls all summer long... :laugh: you get the picture.

Shouldn't knowing you worked hard to get where you are be enough? I don't understand why you need someone else to acknowledge your achievements and can't be happy with it on your own.

No, it's not weird at all. I agree with ZagDoc. Saying your accomplishments are "all of ours" does not mean they're dismissing all the hard work and effort you put into your success; they just believe that this achievement is something to celebrated and shared by the entire family since everyone has played a part in your achievement.

You've got to realize that the concept of the "individual" self is largely a Western construct. Indian culture, and pretty much all non-Western cultures, think more along communitarian lines. Hence, why your achievement is also a reflection upon your family and community.

Unless you have indeed been a rugged individualist and have struggled to achieve what you have (Lokhtar's example of cleaning latrines in a Bombay railroad station comes to mind), then it's probably reasonable to assume that your parents have played a part in your success by promoting and instilling certain core values of education and success. Appreciate it because it has influenced who you have become and let your parents have their moment of glory. :thumbup:

It's just how parents are. according to my parents, I got accepted to medschool because they raised me to study. I have a pretty wife because they taught me how to treat a lady and I have adorable kids because of the genes they gave me.

It's just how it is. Parents can't seperate their identity from theri offspring.

Good luck to you.

PS My daughter graduated first in her preschool class because I worked so hard on the alphabet with her. My son is an amazing baseball player at three years old because I tossed him balls all summer long... :laugh: you get the picture.

Of course, children are little investments for their parents. :D

While it is frustrating to not have your accomplishments seen as your own, and they definitely should be,

But they likely aren't his own. Sorry, but if he was left out in the woods at five years old, and found his way into medical school, it's one thing, but 99% of fellow South Asian med schools have had such an amazing family life that it sickens me to see ungrateful little spawns spewing their crap.

I'm sure they have sacrificed as much as you have but in a different way in helping you get into medical school.

Sacrificed? Studying with a full stomach and not worrying about whether you can afford the next month's food is not 'sacrifice'. My dad worked two jobs at a fast food restaurant when he came to the US so I wouldn't have to work and could 'sacrifice myself' by studying. Many South Asian parents (not all obviously) came from a very mediocre or poor background and busted their *** so their child could get the opportunities they never had.

I immigrated when I was little, and I know that if I had to give my boards in India, I'd probably get a B.Com degree and work in retail selling jeans. And the only reason I'm where I am is because my parents worked for it. I have no idea if thats the case for you, but I would venture to say that if they weren't born in the US, it's something similar.

Who cares?

If it makes them happy, let them say whatever they please. At the end of the day, you'll be the doctor, not them.

But they likely aren't his own. Sorry, but if he was left out in the woods at five years old, and found his way into medical school, it's one thing, but 99% of fellow South Asian med schools have had such an amazing family life that it sickens me to see ungrateful little spawns spewing their crap.

Sacrificed? Studying with a full stomach and not worrying about whether you can afford the next month's food is not 'sacrifice'. My dad worked two jobs at a fast food restaurant when he came to the US so I wouldn't have to work and could 'sacrifice myself' by studying. Many South Asian parents (not all obviously) came from a very mediocre or poor background and busted their *** so their child could get the opportunities they never had.

I immigrated when I was little, and I know that if I had to give my boards in India, I'd probably get a B.Com degree and work in retail selling jeans. And the only reason I'm where I am is because my parents worked for it. I have no idea if thats the case for you, but I would venture to say that if they weren't born in the US, it's something similar.

Yup, completely agree :thumbup:

The OP sounds incredibly ungrateful and whiny. Hopefully when you grow up a bit you can appreciate your parent's sacrifice and allow them to take credit where credit is due...without having to make another emo post about how you aren't being properly "recognized" for your achievements.

Does it really matter? As long as when the bill for med school come they "take credit" for that too, there is nothing to worry about!

Yup, completely agree :thumbup:

The OP sounds incredibly ungrateful and whiny. Hopefully when you grow up a bit you can appreciate your parent's sacrifice and allow them to take credit where credit is due...without having to make another emo post about how you aren't being properly "recognized" for your achievements.

a little harsh, but honest :) I agree...

:thumbup: If nothing else take it as a lesson in humility. I'd say most if not all premeds need that :p

some parents seem crazy to me haha. My parents leave me to my schoolwork and only want to know what grades i get at the end of the semester, out of curiosity. In high school they never cared, they let me do my thing and do it my way.

Your accomplishments are yours, not your parents. Do you get part of their recognition if they have successful careers...

Id say that most of the credit belongs to them. If you are their natural child they have the “nature” element covered, giving you the proper genes. It also sounds like they personally raised you, covering the “nature” aspect of your upbringing- you didn’t becoming a typical “Asian striver” on your own, your parents had to instill these values in you. Add to this the fact that your parents have probably financed most of your upbringing and education so they have that covered as well.

Face it, you taking credit for where you are would be like a dolphin taking credit for being able to balance a ball on its nose. Sure, it may have always had it in him, but the trainer deserves the credit because the dolphin ultimately had to be constantly trained and indoctrinated for long periods of time in order to learn the trick.

Id say that most of the credit belongs to them. If you are their natural child they have the “nature” element covered, giving you the proper genes. It also sounds like they personally raised you, covering the “nature” aspect of your upbringing- you didn’t becoming a typical “Asian striver” on your own, your parents had to instill these values in you. Add to this the fact that your parents have probably financed most of your upbringing and education so they have that covered as well.

Face it, you taking credit for where you are would be like a dolphin taking credit for being able to balance a ball on its nose. Sure, it may have always had it in him, but the trainer deserves the credit because the dolphin ultimately had to be constantly trained and indoctrinated for long periods of time in order to learn the trick.

Why stop there? Who raised his parents? His grandparents. So they deserve the credit. But wait, who raised them? His great-grandparents. So they deserve the credit. Ad infinitum.

He deserves credit for his actions, but there's nothing wrong with also giving some of the credit to what his parents did for him to allow his actions to come into being.

Boo hoo. Worry less about divvying up credit and more about the incredible opportunities you have. Of course you worked hard, everyone does. I agree that you should let them have all the 'credit' they can grab, and hope they keep sliding checks your way.

Real satisfaction with your success isn't something that can be taken away from you.

Why stop there? Who raised his parents? His grandparents. So they deserve the credit. But wait, who raised them? His great-grandparents. So they deserve the credit. Ad infinitum.

"But for" cause v. "Proximate" cause

look it up

No one grows up in a vacuum. Having a stable and supportive family is a great platform for success, but not a guaranty. So too, strong individuals rise above bad circumstances and succeed. And, if you ask those who had to rise above negligent to accomplish their goals, they would probably agree that life would have been easier had they had the support of their family. So, be grateful for the support, and take with some humility the fact that your parents feel invested in your future.

No matter how old you get, or how much you accomplish, you are still their baby -- that will never change. And when they are gone, you will miss that love and support -- no matter how much credit you think they have taken for your success.

I'm not going to. If you would like to have a discussion on the matter, feel free to elaborate.

Its true, if you simply use “but for causation” almost anyone can take credit for anything (“but for our founding fathers, I would have never been accepted to an American medical school so founding fathers deserve the credit”). This is why we also look at proximate cause- which refers to the “closeness” of the connection. Neither one alone is sufficient to establish causation. (the terms im using are legal in nature, but they are simply a clear way to articulate basic everyday social standards used to judge “cause”)

The OPs parents directly paid for his education and upbringing and directly instilled certain values in him. Giving credit to his parents is not the same as giving credit to G. Washington.

i know what you're talking about but you shouldn't feel upset w/ them. they deserve the credit for having worked their tails off coming to this country making so many sacrifices for you. in the words of the Duke Dean Armstrong, "Never forget the people who made sacrifices so that you could be interviewing here."

Who's money did you spend on application fees...who's paying for your college education...who left their mother and father back in India so that you could have a better life...who had to rebuild their lives when they came to this country?

If you answer honestly, you'll say: "My parents."

I say the same thing.

Plus they make it sound like you are their pride and joy. Why can't you let your parents get a little credit? It will make them that much happier! Plus everybody knows that your parents didn't take the MCAT for you, so you are definitely getting credit where credit is due.