Parking Fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reavill

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering what other people are paying for a year's worth of parking at medical school? Wayne State has decided this year that they are going to up parking from $220 to $440. The school tries to justify the increase based upon the fact that other metropolitan schools are much more expensive to park at. I wanted to see what everyone else pays (especially if you go to school in a big city and you have to drive).

Thanks
Reavill

Members don't see this ad.

Holy cow....

I pay $68 for a parking tag for the year, and I'm within a stone's throw of the entrance to the school.

(woo-hoo!)

Members don't see this ad :)
@ CWRU, if you park at the closest garage to the med school, its $63 a month!

To park at a remote lot at Baylor, it's ~$50/month. That means you still have to take a 5-8 minute shuttle ride from the lot to the school. To park in one of the garages actually right next to the school is $9/day. As a result, most people either take the bus, ride their bikes, or walk.

I was worried about parking at Hopkins, because according to the website its over $100 per month to park at the on-site parking garages. To park at the sattelite lots with a shuttle service to the campus is about $50 a month.

However, for med students, the school subsidizes your parking at over $50 per month so if you use the sattelite lots, parking is free. You can still try to get a spot at the on-site garages, but then you have to pay the remaining balance per month that the subsidy does not cover (about $50 per month)

So I'm using the satellite lots. Its about a 5 min drive to campus, but the shuttle service runs pretty frequently (10-20 mins depending on time of day) and theres always plenty of parking space and room on the shuttle bus.

At minnesota, parking anywhere the med school costs between 2 and 6 dollars per hour. I don't theink students can get parking passes, either, so if your school has parking, consider yourself lucky.

$60/month for a lot about a 2 block walk away or $70/mo for a garage right next to school. But if you get really creative, you can find few cheap $2 per day lots just a little bit farther. Third year I found a few more streets nearby with free spots on the street are available if you get in before 7am, which you will 3rd year anyway. If you choose these find-a-cheap spot options though, be careful of parking tickets if its an illegal spot that's not obviously illegal looking (i.e. you have to park over 15 feet away from a fire hydrant or a stop sign, both of which I didn't know and got tickets for).

At Tulane, we pay $60 per month. This lot is about a 7 - 10 minute walk from the med school. Rainy days suck too!! New Orleans is below sea level and by the time I get to class, my feet are soaking wet. Ugg!! LOL

.....while down the street at LSU-New Orleans, we pay $45/year to park in uncovered lots one block away. On weekends we may park without charge in nearby garages. We are subject to the elements between the lots and school, but close to completion are a system of covered, elevated walkways, allowing unmolested transit between the school and our hospitals and clinics.

$65/month at AE for a remote activated garage spot under the dorms. The garage is located across the street from the classroom.

Anybody have any idea about parking at Rush Medical School?

Originally posted by Brandon
Anybody have any idea about parking at Rush Medical School?

From the Rush leasing office's 2002 brochure:

Monthly rate for Rush employees: $45
Monthly rate for Non-Rush employees: $72
Monthly rate for Rush students: $40
Daily rate for Rush students: $5.50
Monthly rate for Rush students (Ogden/Wood lot): $17
8 to 24 hour parking: $10.50

If you are living in a Rush apartment, you get a free parking spot at your apartment's complex.

At UMiami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, we will pay $58.50/month to park in the garages. I thought it was pretty expensive, but after reading some of these posts, I'm just glad that there is parking available.;)

Concerning parking fees check this horror story out. I basically would park at meters around school and evidently throughout the year I was getting tickets. Since I had moved a couple times the vehicle was registered at an old address years removed . They would send the tickets to that address. I wouldnt get them and eventually they piled up. I was put on the tow list not knowing that I was on it. One day I went to my advisor to talk about the upcoming semester and when I came out the city had towed my car. To get it out I had to come up with 560.00 dollars of which I dint have. I went to talk to the parking authority and they wouldnt help. I nearly fainted. Luckily my sister came through and paid the bill (I borrowed it). And when I went back the next day they wouldnt even honor their receipt. Finally they called there computer people and confirmed.

Think you walk in a building and walk out two hours later and are told you owe 560.00 and cant have your car on tickets that you didnt know you had.

By the way this happened at MCV.

pay the parking fees I know I will.

How about at UF?

Do I have to pay for parking if I live across from Shands?