Part-1 & 2 Score After 2009.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Q to you all, what will be the situation of the candidate who already have individual NBDE part-1 and 2 score after 2009 where only PASS/FAIL will be on their report card. Will they be just taken as pass/fail or they will be evaluated otherwise by the dental schools. Specially foreign trained dentist who has to take it before entering dental schools in the US.Need your feedback please put in your feedback. thanks.............goodluck.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Q to you all, what will be the situation of the candidate who already have individual NBDE part-1 and 2 score after 2009 where only PASS/FAIL will be on their report card. Will they be just taken as pass/fail or they will be evaluated otherwise by the dental schools. Specially foreign trained dentist who has to take it before entering dental schools in the US.Need your feedback please put in your feedback. thanks.............goodluck.

Imo I would think that on 2009 even if you took the test on 2007 and passed with 92 , the ada would send only the report status of passed or failed to your school or whatever other institution you want the report being sent to. Personally I think it's a great change specially because , schools will have to figure out another way to evaluate foreign trained dentists into their Idp programs.... this is FTW
:thumbup:

Last edited:
Is it for sure that after 2009, it will be pass or fail situation, if so, can anybody post any official link ?

Thanks

this is a shock to me,i did hear of such a change taking place in near future but didnt know it was coming this soon.

i think it will be a tough change because this way the ADA could set a benchmark score (read passing score) (could be 90 or more ) and those getting below that score wont have any chance. The evaluation criterion would be the same i guess the 'NBDE scores" but instead of accepting a range of scores it will be definite score.

And has anybody also heard about another bomb that there will be no retakes after 2011? Is this true or just a rumor? Can someone plz verify these changes?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
this is a shock to me,i did hear of such a change taking place in near future but didnt know it was coming this soon. **i think it will be a tough change because this way the ADA could set a benchmark score (read passing score) (could be 90 or more ) and those getting below that score wont have any chance. The evaluation criterion would be the same i guess the* 'NBDE scores" but instead of accepting a range of scores it will be definite score. *And has anybody also heard about another bomb that there will be no retakes after 2011? Is this true or just a rumor? Can someone plz verify these changes?

I dont think its possibleas its competitive exam, either they can make it pass/fail like a competancy exam or else score base. In both type there should be provision for attempt thats hoe it work all over the world. Yeh they will set a score that is not necessary be 75% as we will not know they might keep it secret , who know they might keep it even 90 as apassing score and not reveal to candidate. They earn revenue through that. By the way from where did u hear that can you please clarify its interesting topic.
thanks.

I dont think its possibleas its competitive exam, either they can make it pass/fail like a competancy exam or else score base. In both type there should be provision for attempt thats hoe it work all over the world. Yeh they will set a score that is not necessary be 75% as we will not know they might keep it secret , who know they might keep it even 90 as apassing score and not reveal to candidate. They earn revenue through that. By the way from where did u hear that can you please clarify its interesting topic.
thanks.

Hey Mitpat, i just spoke to a representative today and Looks like this change is definitely taking place but NOT in 2009, its starting from the 1st Jan 2010. The benchscore will be 75 and it is for Licensure purpose and as doctor dj said, the schools would have to think of another standard for accepting the candidates for IDP/ADP. HOWever there will be NO RETAKES after 31st Dec 2009. Starting from 1 jan 2010, If you pass the exam you are Not allowed to retake it (as theres is no point) BUT if u fail it, you can continue to retest.

i think its a cool change but iam not sure what the school's "Gold standard" for acceptance would be after 2010. i think it would be yr work experience, or yr GPA, or a part 1 and part 2 composite score, or may be the schools will hold their own eligibility exam, Or it could be the same get above 90 concept!

Hey Mitpat, i just spoke to a representative today and Looks like this change is definitely taking place but NOT in 2009, its starting from the 1st Jan 2010. The benchscore will be 75 and it is for Licensure purpose and as doctor dj said, the schools would have to think of another standard for accepting the candidates for IDP/ADP. HOWever there will be NO RETAKES after 31st Dec 2009. Starting from 1 jan 2010, If you pass the exam you are Not allowed to retake it (as theres is no point) BUT if u fail it, you can continue to retest.

i think its a cool change but iam not sure what the school's "Gold standard" for acceptance would be after 2010. i think it would be yr work experience, or yr GPA, or a part 1 and part 2 composite score, or may be the schools will hold their own eligibility exam, Or it could be the same get above 90 concept!
what happens to pre- 01.01.10 scores? they too become pass/fail? or remain the same?

The scores before 2010 would also be evaluated as pass and fail.

Thanks for your inquires its a help to all, i was knowing about if a candidate pass he is not allowed to retake its a good stuff. My biggest concern here is still FTD ( Foreign trained Dentist) , Just imagin they will have to be prepare for exams like NERB/WERB etc even before they enter the school. And different school will have their own criteria for enterence.........my god quit scary to even imagine. I guess there will be lots of DUGGAN like classes all over just for FTD...............Thanks

The scores before 2010 would also be evaluated as pass and fail.
I think a lot of people with current 90+ scores will feel abandoned by the new pass/fail system.

If post-doc programs haven't figured out what to do with this issue by now, it could take at least couple of years to come up with a new type of test to separate competitive candidates from mediocre ones.

I talked to an ex-Oral Surgery director about this, he said it will come down to politics, for now.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people with current 90+ scores will feel abandoned by the new pass/fail system.

If post-doc programs haven't figured out what to do with this issue by now, it could take at least couple of years to come up with a new type of test to separate competitive candidates from mediocre ones.

I talked to an ex-Oral Surgery director about this, he said it will come down to politics, for now.

May u be competitive or mediocre, BUT If u are able to PASS the exam, it means that You HAVE the knowledge of subjects u were tested on. So i think it will come down to your hand skills and yr practical knowledge.And pardon my asking But could u elucidate on what u meant by "coming down to the politics, for now" ? Are u refering to the political change from Republican to a Democratic Govt? Does yr oral surgery director also think that Obama will have change of policies for FTDs? (I certianly hope so:)

Thanks for your inquires its a help to all, i was knowing about if a candidate pass he is not allowed to retake its a good stuff. My biggest concern here is still FTD ( Foreign trained Dentist) , Just imagin they will have to be prepare for exams like NERB/WERB etc even before they enter the school. And different school will have their own criteria for enterence.........my god quit scary to even imagine. I guess there will be lots of DUGGAN like classes all over just for FTD...............Thanks

u are welcome, iam sure it cleares our doubts a little bit, i obviously wasnt sure abt it so i verified it, but i didnt intend to help anyone here honestly, people have become so weird here, iam sure lot of people knew abt this change but they wont let other people know just to stay ahead of the game. i dont know, but this is how i feel here now. I posted a thread asking for a study partner here, so many views but no one bothered to reply:(:sleep:

Mediocre ???????actually I know a lot of ftd's that have scored over 90, got accepted into school and had no clue on how to handle a patient or had 0 hands on skills . I could enumerate many anecdotes about this but I don't want to be mean.

Mediocre ???????actually I know a lot of ftd's that have scored over 90, got accepted into school and had no clue on how to handle a patient or had 0 hands on skills . I could enumerate many anecdotes about this but I don't want to be mean.

You are absolutely right, i have many stories to tell as well. I think making PASS/FAIL exam as a one of the criteria for enterance and looking at the various aspect of an individual is the best way to admit a candidate in to dental school, criterias r how the perform on patient, their confidense level, their language skills, their manual dextrity on workmanship to what they r doing for the long term successive treatmant of the patient. I think the new pattern will filter these candidate who just gets an admission based on initial percentile.
Good going ...............:thumbup:

Hi ..
iam new here ..

very new .. and very new for the exam .. i just want to ask you abt the exam if this is true pass/fail and the degree will be 75% so we dont need to read so hard for the next year ? right ?? and no one know what is going to compensate for the degree ? and how it is going to happened for the acceptance in Universities ?

well .. i dont know any about NBDE and the whole steps :(

pls i need clarifying if that possible .. sorry for bothering and thank you alot in advance

Hi ..
iam new here ..

very new .. and very new for the exam .. i just want to ask you abt the exam if this is true pass/fail and the degree will be 75% so we dont need to read so hard for the next year ? right ?? and no one know what is going to compensate for the degree ? and how it is going to happened for the acceptance in Universities ?

well .. i dont know any about NBDE and the whole steps :(

pls i need clarifying if that possible .. sorry for bothering and thank you alot in advance

oh dear... plz dont get this wrong, YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD NO MATTER WHAT! yes 75% will be the passing score but this doesnt mean that the schools will entertain applicants with this score.
what it should mean to you now is that if u get 75% or more, thats it for you, u are done with part1, which means that u just get one shot at it and u've gotta SCORE in it, so studying hard is what u have to do now!but dont worry u have plenty of time, i dont know anything abt NBDE myself:) so chill and start studying

Last edited:
Actually, scores pre-2010 will still be reported as a numerical grade. pass/fail is only 2010 and after.