Part 2 Prepration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

32Dentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting part 2 prepration. If anybody wants to come with me in this long journey? :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

If someone is selling part 2 new relesed question paper please let me know

I am thinking of writing part 2 too....just not working hard enough to get serious and start studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am planing to take part2 next month. I would like to join the group
ree

Good luck ree.

I am thinking to take part 2 in summer

can someone answer these questions
scaling can be done on
a. only enamel but not root surface
b. both enamel and root surface
c. only root surface

N2O is contraindicated in patients who have
a. leukemia
b. drug abuse
c. mild-moderate asthma
d. dental anxiety

why is Z-plasty preferred over diamond technique for frenum detachment
a. less scar contraction
b. easier in terms of technique
c. less incision needed, no suture needed

mitch74 said:
can someone answer these questions
scaling can be done on
a. only enamel but not root surface
b. both enamel and root surface
c. only root surface

N2O is contraindicated in patients who have
a. leukemia
b. drug abuse
c. mild-moderate asthma
d. dental anxiety

why is Z-plasty preferred over diamond technique for frenum detachment
a. less scar contraction
b. easier in terms of technique
c. less incision needed, no suture needed
Hey Mitch.
I'd say
1.b (Enamel=Supra gingival calculus, Root=Subgingival claculus. The other 2 choices are obvious),
2.c (not sure, even though i've worked with N2O a lot. N2O has nothing to do with WBS's in the case of Luekemia, also N2O has no dependance tendency so b. is also crossed out, and the first INDICATION for N2O is infact dental anxiety so d. also is not an option. N2O also binds reversibly to Hemoglobin in RBC's, temporarily occupying most of the O2 binding sites, which may trigger an asthmatic attack in prone patients - ones with mild or moderate asthma. So answer c. seems logical),
3.a (I can say that I am pretty sure about this one).
Let me know what the correct answers are.
Good Luck.

Thanks Nile for the well explained answer.Could anyone tell me which is the most common oral cancer(not sq cell ca)and also which is the most common Salivary Gland Tumor?
Thanks in advance.

32Dentist said:
I am starting part 2 prepration. If anybody wants to come with me in this long journey? :) :)
Hi,

I wanted to start working on part 2 as well...but I dont know where exactly to look for the material ...and suggestions?

Enamel said:
Thanks Nile for the well explained answer.Could anyone tell me which is the most common oral cancer(not sq cell ca)and also which is the most common Salivary Gland Tumor?
Thanks in advance.

according to my knowledge..scc is the most commont type of oral cancer...followed by lymphoma then salivary gland malignancies. I think the most common type of salivary gland tumour is the pleomorphic adenoma, 70% of cases

gkt lon said:
according to my knowledge..scc is the most commont type of oral cancer...followed by lymphoma then salivary gland malignancies. I think the most common type of salivary gland tumour is the pleomorphic adenoma, 70% of cases
thanks GKT Shafer says that solid undifferentiated is 4.5%then mucoepidermoid is 4 and adenoid cystic is 3.2 ansd acinic is 2.9.(these are stats for SG ca )

Initial instrumentation for the biomechanical preparation of a vital tooth should begin at the canal orifice and should end at the
a. radiographic apex
b. cementodentinal junction
c. cementoenamel junction
d. cement pulpal junction

repeated asking of questions by a child indicates
a. curiosity of the child
b. interest in the procedure
c. trying to delay the procedure
d. child is abnormal

Members don't see this ad :)
mitch74 said:
Initial instrumentation for the biomechanical preparation of a vital tooth should begin at the canal orifice and should end at the
a. radiographic apex

d. child is abnormal
hi there
i would say
a and a.
pl let meknow the correct answer

mitch74 said:
a. radiographic apex

d. child is abnormal
Hey MITCH
I would say 1. b and 2. c
If you need any explanations, let me know.

Hi, Thank u for the answers.
I agree more with NilebBDS. Thank u again.

1.Larger condensers and laterally applied condensation forces are recommended to ensure complete condensation of which of the following amalgam types?
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional

mitch74 said:
1.Larger condensers and laterally applied condensation forces are recommended to ensure complete condensation of which of the following amalgam types?
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional

the ans is b. spherical becz sperical amalgam requires less condensation forces when compared to other types as well as the size of the condensor working point is inversely propotional to the forces applied.

Hi,

I am planning to take part 2 this summer. I would also like to join the group. Thanks

mitch74 said:
Hi, Thank u for the answers.
I agree more with NilebBDS. Thank u again.
Thanks Mitch74.
Just for clarification purposes, since we have a slight confusion;
The radiographic apex (absolute apex) is always 1-2 mm apical to the anatomical apex (Cemento-Dentinal junction). The anatomical apex, is usually were you want your prep/filling to end, in avoidance of overpreps/fills and violating the apical constriction hence loosing the apical seal.

As for the second question, I can't really explain it. It is just child behavior and psychology.
Good luck all.

mitch74 said:
a. admixed
b. spherical
c. lathe-cut
d. high-copper
e. conventional
I'm not sure about this one, but if I were to take a guess in the dark, I would say c. lathe-cut.

NileBDS said:
I'm not sure about this one, but if I were to take a guess in the dark, I would say c. lathe-cut.
Hi, actually rag is rite on this one.Thank u for ur help.

hi folks, i just finished the nb2 day before, and i wanted to chip in some feedback. u can go thru how much ever study material u want , but nothing can prepare u for it. so plz be prepared for what comes ur way in the exam, also for day 2, any prep is as good as none, coz u r asked cases that arent there in any of the papers. i dont mean to discourage u all but i just wanted to let u know the degree of difficulty of this exam
mkot

mkot said:
hi folks, i just finished the nb2 day before, and i wanted to chip in some feedback. u can go thru how much ever study material u want , but nothing can prepare u for it. so plz be prepared for what comes ur way in the exam, also for day 2, any prep is as good as none, coz u r asked cases that arent there in any of the papers. i dont mean to discourage u all but i just wanted to let u know the degree of difficulty of this exam
mkot
Congrats on your exam MKOT !
I'm sure you will do just fine.
Although, I would agree and disagree with you.
Any preparation is good preparation, SPECIALLY with part II. Part I is basically memorizing lots of Junk ! No thinking is really involved, except maybe on dental anatomy and occlusion.
Part II is were your knowledge and experience really pay off ! Specially on the second day.
However, I agree that most study aids will not adequately prepare you for the clinical cases, but I guess that is one of the exams challenges. They need your case judgement and thinking logic. You are faced with new cases everyday in practise, and it is only natural for them to simulate such scenarios in the clinical based questions.
I remember that I had a case on day 2 of a 10 year old with a cleft (hard) palate and lip. They needed us to treatment plan his ortho visits, and serial extractions in addidtion to the chioce ortho appliances. Yeah right, go look for that in the decks ! :laugh:
Good Luck, and have a safe trip buddy ! You'll be just fine !

NileBDS said:
Congrats on your exam MKOT !
I'm sure you will do just fine.
Although, I would agree and disagree with you.
Any preparation is good preparation, SPECIALLY with part II. Part I is basically memorizing lots of Junk ! No thinking is really involved, except maybe on dental anatomy and occlusion.
Part II is were your knowledge and experience really pay off ! Specially on the second day.
However, I agree that most study aids will not adequately prepare you for the clinical cases, but I guess that is one of the exams challenges. They need your case judgement and thinking logic. You are faced with new cases everyday in practise, and it is only natural for them to simulate such scenarios in the clinical based questions.
I remember that I had a case on day 2 of a 10 year old with a cleft (hard) palate and lip. They needed us to treatment plan his ortho visits, and serial extractions in addidtion to the chioce ortho appliances. Yeah right, go look for that in the decks ! :laugh:
Good Luck, and have a safe trip buddy ! You'll be just fine !
hi nile good to hear from u. thanks for the wishes, and ya u r rt, it does test our clinical judgement, so lets hope for the best. wish u all the luck for ur future
mkot

NileBDS said:
Hey Mitch ... Thanks for the feedback.
Great job RAG !
Good Luck !

hey nilebds,
thanks . iam on the road of part 2 preparation.

hey mitch,
thanks for asking questions . it really helps me for my preparation. keep posting some more questions.

I want to know the reason of the answer of following question.

Que: the dentist plans to place a crown on a patient’s maxillary canine. altering the existing canine-guided occlusion in a right lateral excursive movement to that of a group function will result in which of the following?
1. greater clearance on the left side –less potential for a non-working contact
2. less clearance on the left side-greater potential for a non-working contact
3. No effect on the non-working side clearance.

the answer is 2. why? this is asked in released papers of asda.
thanks for the help in advance.

stelon said:
I want to know the reason of the answer of following question.

Que: the dentist plans to place a crown on a patient’s maxillary canine. altering the existing canine-guided occlusion in a right lateral excursive movement to that of a group function will result in which of the following?
1. greater clearance on the left side –less potential for a non-working contact
2. less clearance on the left side-greater potential for a non-working contact
3. No effect on the non-working side clearance.

the answer is 2. why? this is asked in released papers of asda.
thanks for the help in advance.
My fragile head :laugh: hurts just by reading the question (specially canine guidance part). I'll try reading it again later, and give my best shot ! Long day ...

mkot said:
mkot
Hi mkot, u r rite no prep materials have those cases.And u sure do need clinical judgement to answer those.

Hi

I may not be right but giving it a shot.
Whenthe patient had canine guided occlusion the disocclusion on lateral excursive is more and the teeth move further apart. When u change the same to group function more teeth contact and the disocclusion is less coz now u may contact the premolar before. So you will have more chances of non-working prematurities.

I hope I have not confused you even more.

bridge said:
Hi

Whenthe patient had canine guided occlusion the disocclusion on lateral excursive is more and the teeth move further apart. When u change the same to group function more teeth contact and the disocclusion is less coz now u may contact the premolar before. So you will have more chances of non-working prematurities.

it is a clear explanation. good job bridge

bridge said:
Hi

nice explaination bridge

thanks bridge, nice explanation, i had cleared my doubt.

bridge said:
Hi

mkot said:
mkot

Hi mkot
I just took my part I today, your advices was so helpful for me on part I, but I have no idea about how I took the test, there was alot of tests which I couldn't decide to choose the right answer :confused: anyway what are the study materials for part II and how long did you study for that, how much time do I need for that test?
thanks and good luck for everything :thumbup:

Hi guys
Is Kaplan review book helpful for part II? :confused:

hi can anyone guide me as to what study materials should be used to study parmac for part 2?
thanks in advance

Does anybody know any website for operative dentistry and prostho??

Hi,
I am planning to give part 2. what are the study material required for part2. How much time is req for preparation to get a good score.

I would really apreciate if somebody ans my questions
Thanks in advance.

fisheyes said:
Does anybody know any website for operative dentistry and prostho??
Anyone??

Hey guys,

Can anyone please tell me - if there are some wrong answers in released question papers. Because I m getting very much confused in some of the questions .

Hi guys!

I have been following all discusions very thoroughly. For part II preparation I can recommend decks (I have 2004), released papers and reprints of previous tests. I also have Kaplan book, but I don`t find it to be very useful.

I have part II exam on 23rd and 24th of May. I`m not familiar with computer testing, since I took part I paper based. Please, If anyone have any experience about the procedure concerning computer testing write about it - timing, answering etc.

Any help would be very useful to blind man!

Thanx

Hello all,

I want to start my prep for part 2.
What would one need other than decks and kap books? I also learned from Rahmed that question papers are needed too.
It would be very nice if some one could give me a list of prep material I need to collect. I really want to take my part 2 by july. Time is very less and I work full time.....Oh gosh i am getting so anxious.
I have not got in any school this year so want to take part 2 atleast :(

Thanking in anticipation.