Part 2 Questions: Doubts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothmail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

i was wondering if anyone could help me out with these questions? the answers seem to be rather difficult to understand.

A two-stage impression or altered cast technique may be used for construction of removable partial dentures primarily because it

1. results in an accurate impression of the abutment teeth.
2. results in a detailed impression of the soft tissue.
3. accommodates resilient and nonresilient tissues.
4. allows the dentist to border mold.
5. Both (3) and (4) above
6. None of the above

Ans: sometimes its given as 5. and sometimes as 3. which is right?

A patient has worn a complete maxillary denture against the mandibular premolars, for five years. He complains of looseness of the denture. Examination of the mouth shows an excessive amount of hyperplastic tissue at the anterior part of the maxillary ridge. The maxillary teeth do not show below the upper lip. Radiographs show poor bone structure in the anterior part of the maxilla and fibrous tuberosities. The principal cause of the patient's difficulty is

1. malnutrition.
2. a poor bone factor.
3. excessive vertical dimension.
4. a lack of posterior occlusion.
5. excessive alveolar resorption.

Ans: 4. can anyone explain why this is the answer pls?

In adapting a facing or a pontic to the residual ridge, one important factor in maintaining proper biologic and hygienic acceptance is that it must NOT

1. be convex mesiodistally.
2. be concave faciolingually.
3. be concave in two directions.
4. touch the residual ridge with pressure.

Ans; 3. does that mean that 4 is ok? i thot there should be no pressure when a pontic is used!

any explanations are welcome.

and please do post ur doubts and clarifications here so it helps anyone else studying for part 2 too.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

ok here are your answers....

1. for this the answer given here is correct, i.e 3 & 4. for the other qstn you are talking about, one of the options 3 or 4 (not sure which one..) is not given , so i guess that has made you confused..donworry, i felt the same too...

2. wrong answer! (am SURE) in fact there are many such pathetic answers in the released papers...anyways the correct answer is the anterior alveolar ridge resorption, look out for Kelly's Syndrome.

3. the answer is correct, i,e the pontic must NOT be concave in 2 directions, and this is the CARDINAL RULE for the design of any pontic, and as far as the option 4 goes, i think thats a pretty cheap way to confuse the examinee, the catch is "how much" pressure on the ridge, which is not specified here, as sometimes, a slight pressure on the ridge becomes inevitable.....

hope these help.....i think i need to start collecting my list too and will put it up soon.....also a similar thread is on the Dental Forums, you can refer there as well......

hello people,i was surprised that the kind of questions you were stuck with they were exactly the same kind of questions i have faced,coincidence?definately not,i found part 2 really weired and the decks or even kaplan book cant cover it as thoroughly as part 1,anway do you know guys if there is any conversion scale like the one for part 1 posted by the UIC where we can compare the number of the correct answers with the final score?i think it would be so helpfull for us guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks kajal...u seem to be pretty good with ur clinicals! am jus getting started and its so frustrating!!

caninus...i think we all could do with that conversion scale coz my pathetic scores are really discouraging!!

heres another doubt:

Treatment of choice for a patient with a maxillary complete denture with severe bilateral tuberosity undercuts is to

1. remove both tuberosity undercuts.
2. reduce the tissue bilaterally.
3. reduce the tissue on one side only, if possible.
4. None of the above. No treatment is necessary.

ans: 3 or 1 ...both have been given as correct answers at different times!

thanks kajal...u seem to be pretty good with ur clinicals! am jus getting started and its so frustrating!!
a big lol to that! i wish i was as good as you actually thought!
to answer your qstn...
for this qstn, the answer is 3.
for the other you are talking about, the qstn is not exactly identical, but it talks about a severe anterior undercut as well....
yet the answer is 3, i.e reduce it on both sides....(option 1 is pathetically wrong!)
i dont think by doing a conservative excision of only one side of the tuberosity, the dentist will do anything good for the stability of the denture....

KajalK. is absolutely right about the answers.
If the question says that both anterior and posterior undercuts are present, then answer would be to remove only the posterior bilateral undercuts but if the question includes only the maxillay tuberosity undercuts, then only one of the tuberosities are removed.
Sometimes, large undercuts are advantageous to the retention of the denture provided the path of insertion can be changed.
The aim is also to preserve as much as the alveolar ridge as possible as they are the primary stress-bearing areas.

Hope this helps.
I also have doubts in some of these questions.
The answers dont always turn out to be what you think is right. Will try to post them.

thanks mibs..
that pushes my confidence now, from 99 to 100% :) about my assesment of such conditions... now, am really enjoying trying to solve these cases...

thanks kajal and mib. yeah the key is whether there is both anterior and posterior undercuts. i suppose it makes sense since the path of insertion has to be considered.

looks like i am going to keep pestering all of u with more doubts....this is way worse than part 1...and i thot i was a dentist and therefore know more about dentistry!! :laugh:

the purpose of alterimpression is mainly to capture the distal extension tissue.

When concave think of a bowl that able to contain water. Now flip on the ridge. can you visualized now. When clean with floss it will be so difficult.

Pontic hygine pontic should be passive touch the tissue. If it not touch. It the best.

All this question you will see in the clinical board also....very good concept..

I hope it help you

Originally posted by KAJALKIRAN
a big lol to that! i wish i was as good as you actually thought!
to answer your qstn...
for this qstn, the answer is 3.
for the other you are talking about, the qstn is not exactly identical, but it talks about a severe anterior undercut as well....
yet the answer is 3, i.e reduce it on both sides....(option 1 is pathetically wrong!)
i dont think by doing a conservative excision of only one side of the tuberosity, the dentist will do anything good for the stability of the denture....
Hi kajal,
I think you have the answer 1 is pathetically wrong but haven't you written that as an answer ie reduce on both sides??:confused:

corrigendum:
yeah am sorry that was an error in conceptualization of thought while typing.....(thanks to the complicated answers of the ADA) it should have been "reduce on one side only"

ok pinktooth, kajal and mib... i am confused again...dint u mean that if the question says that both anterior and posterior undercuts are present, then answer would be to remove only the posterior bilateral undercuts but if the question includes only the maxillay tuberosity undercuts, then only one of the tuberosities are removed? or are u saying that as long as there is bilateral severe posterior undercuts, they should both be reduced?

Members don't see this ad :)
"dint u mean that if the question says that both anterior and posterior undercuts are present, then answer would be to remove only the posterior bilateral undercuts but if the question includes only the maxillay tuberosity undercuts, then only one of the tuberosities are removed?"
yep ! till here i understood you and you are correct! tahts what we all meant...and about the confusion, am sorry it was my bad in typing.....

thanks kajal :)

when are u planning on taking the part 2 anyways? i plan on taking it sometime end of may and i am getting nowhere with studying! and i havent done the decks even once and havent even looked at the case-based questions!

can anyone understand the questions 1 to 4 in question paper IIB or Part II 80? the radiographs are horribly unclear! are we supposed to be able to interpret those???:wow:

some more doubts on q papers:

*Presence of a recognizable dental plaque is essential for the development of

1 bacteremia of dental origin.
2 pit and fissure caries.
3 smooth surface caries.
4 recurrent caries.
5 all of the above.

Ans: 3. why?

*Each of the following neuralgias is related to involvement of a specific nerve or ganglion. The nerve involved in each disease is listed after the disease. Which combination is INCORRECT?

1 Bell's palsy - 7th nerve
2 Herpes zoster - 5th nerve
3 Tic douloureux - 5th nerve
4 Auriculotemporal syndrome - 5th nerve
5 Glossopharyngeal neuralgia - 9th nerve

ans: 4 why?

hie toothmail
here r the answers..
1)answer z smoothsurface caries..
in shafers its given that.unlkie P&F caries which is not caused by definet recognisable plaque SS caries is preceded by plaque..
in P&F it z coz of retention of food and microorganisms and further fermentation..but in ss caries which occurs on proximal and gingival 3rd of tooth we generally see plaque..

2) in most of the books its given AT nerve as the cause which contradicts the answer given in the paper..but i found the following info on net..

Frey's syndrome

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(as defined by the
National Organization for Rare Disorders)

also known as:

Auriculotemporal Syndrome
Baillarger's Syndrome
Dupuy's Syndrome
Salivosudoriparous Syndrome
Sweating Gustatory Syndrome
von Frey's Syndrome

Frey's Syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that results from injury or surgery near the parotid glands (which manufacture saliva), damaging the facial nerve.
i guess this helps..

Hi Toothmail,
Frey's syndrom or auriculotemoral syndrom is NOT a neuralgia...There is no pain involved.Just sweating.

thanks pinktooth. i am sure ur answer about smooth surface caries is right. are u saying that the answer auriculotemporal is right only because its not a neuralgia and just a gustatory sweating? well i guess we have to explain it somehow. my doubt was between herpes zoster and frey's since herpes zoster can lie dormant along any posterior root ganglia or as some books say along any cranial or spinal nerve root ganglia whereas for herpes simplex the answer 5th nerve would be perfect. auriculotemporal nerve is supposedly a misnomer but i havent found a good enough explanation for it yet.

pinktooth, kajal, toothlord and anyone else preparing for part 2......could u understand the radiographs in question paper IIB or Part II 80? they are very unclear! are we supposed to be able to interpret those?

*question 21 in part II E. what condition does the patient have?

*q 17 in II F
Which of the following is NOT a likely diagnosis for the mandibular radiolucency illustrated in the radiograph to the right?

-Myxoma
-Ameloblastoma
-Simple bone cyst
-Giant cell granuloma
-Odontogenic keratocyst

ans: simple bone cyst- why? it can also be scalloped like od keratocyst and all others are multiloculated.

*q 18 of image questions in IIG- what does the patient have?

*Question 42 of 48 in II H illustrated bklet
Radiographic examination of an asymptomatic, 31-year-old black woman discloses the condition illustrated in the radiograph to the right. The appearance of teeth and alveolar bone in all four quadrants is similar. There is no clinical evidence of the condition. Which of the following laboratory tests is least important in evaluating the condition of this patient?

Complete blood cell count
Serum alkaline phosphatase
Serum calcium and phosphorus
Histologic examination of tissue

what does the pt have? hyperparathyroidism?

when placing temporary onlays in a quadrant which of the following is concepts is accpetable?
1.Acrylic resin is accpetable interim restoration if cemented with ZOE.
2.Acrylic resin shouldnot be used because it is irritant to the pulp.
3.soft temporary material such as gutta percha should be used to prevent traunma to the tooth.
4material such as ZOE should be used to prevent occlusal prematuraties.
5.temporary coverage should not be used if restorations are placed within a week.

option 1 is given as the answer..but i have my doubts b'cos ZOE is contraindicated with resins.
can some one please explain the answer??

Originally posted by toothmail
*question 21 in part II E. what condition does the patient have?

*q 17 in II F
Which of the following is NOT a likely diagnosis for the mandibular radiolucency illustrated in the radiograph to the right?

-Myxoma
-Ameloblastoma
-Simple bone cyst
-Giant cell granuloma
-Odontogenic keratocyst

ans: simple bone cyst- why? it can also be scalloped like od keratocyst and all others are multiloculated.

*q 18 of image questions in IIG- what does the patient have?

*Question 42 of 48 in II H illustrated bklet
Radiographic examination of an asymptomatic, 31-year-old black woman discloses the condition illustrated in the radiograph to the right. The appearance of teeth and alveolar bone in all four quadrants is similar. There is no clinical evidence of the condition. Which of the following laboratory tests is least important in evaluating the condition of this patient?

Complete blood cell count
Serum alkaline phosphatase
Serum calcium and phosphorus
Histologic examination of tissue

what does the pt have? hyperparathyroidism?

1.giant cell granuloma and ameloblastoma and keratocyst could be similar beside odontogenic myxoma is similar to odontogenic keratocyst

2.she doesent need CBC.

Originally posted by mili
when placing temporary onlays in a quadrant which of the following is concepts is accpetable?
1.Acrylic resin is accpetable interim restoration if cemented with ZOE.
2.Acrylic resin shouldnot be used because it is irritant to the pulp.
3.soft temporary material such as gutta percha should be used to prevent traunma to the tooth.
4material such as ZOE should be used to prevent occlusal prematuraties.
5.temporary coverage should not be used if restorations are placed within a week.

option 1 is given as the answer..but i have my doubts b'cos ZOE is contraindicated with resins.
can some one please explain the answer??
ZOE is containdicated with the light cured coposite resin because it inhibits the polymerization.
dont mix up acrylic resin with composite resin because they are different.

Originally posted by toothlord
ZOE is containdicated with the light cured coposite resin because it inhibits the polymerization.
dont mix up acrylic resin with composite resin because they are different.

But what's the effect (if there is any) between acrilyc resin and ZOE?

ok here's what i think and its not based on any reference:

composite resin used with ZOE is not feasible since composite has to undergo polymerization once it is placed in the mouth and therefore anything that impedes polymerization shouldnt be used concurrently. however, acrylic temporaries are fabricated, and hence finish polymerization outside the mouth, and so a ZOE cement can be used with it since it will not interfere with its polymzn and is an excellent temporary cement/restoration itself. acrylic is almost never polymerized in the mouth might be the key to the answer.

pinktooth, kajal, toothlord and anyone else preparing for part 2......could u understand the radiographs in question paper IIB or Part II 80? they are very unclear! are we supposed to be able to interpret those?

sorry for the late reply....as my internet is messed up here....well i understand your concern, and i had the same problem....for those questions relating to the bad radiographs, i just looked up the answer and then tried to interpret the findings....a retrospective kind of approach...i think you can do the same with all the messed up radiographs....good luck!

thanks kajal. :)

Hiii toothmail,

Plz. check your pm....Thanks!

1. Instruments used for pulp canal therapy are sterilized reliably by using

hot oil.
an autoclave.
boiling water.
cold sterilization.
a glass bead sterilizer.

answer given: autoclave. isnt the correct answer glass bead sterilizer for 10-20 seconds at 450F?

2. Treatment of necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis includes (a) debridement; (b) oral hygiene instruction; (c) penicillin therapy; (d) dietary counseling; (e) surgical correction of residual soft tissue and osseous deformities after the acute phase has been brought under control.

(a) only
(a) and (b) only
(a), (b) and (d)
(b), (d) and (e)
(c), (d) and (e)
All of the above

answer given: a and b only. i thought the answer should be all of the above.

any clarifications will be appreciated. thanks.

ok toothmail, here are your answers:
1. glass bead sterilizer (the answer given is wrong)
2. debridement and oral hygien instructions (answer given is correct)
simple because, you dont wanna give (c) penicillin therapy,(d) dietary counseling or (e) surgical correction of residual soft tissue and osseous deformities after the acute phase has been brought under control, untill and unless the case says "severe" or "acute" or something else along those lines....
you see these kind of words are the catch words in part 2 exam and will decide your score....atleast thats what i felt...

thanks kajal :) gawd i hope i am careful enough to see all those key words in the questions. part 2 is scary!!! :scared:

here's another one:

Because the exact etiology of chronic desquamative gingivitis (gingivosis) is unknown, its treatment is largely centered around the systemic administration of corticosteroids.

Both parts of the statement are TRUE.
Both parts of the statement are FALSE.
The first part of the statement is TRUE, the second part is FALSE.
The first part of the statement is FALSE, the second part is TRUE.

answer given: first part correct, 2nd part wrong. i felt both statements were right.

could anyone answer this one for me? thanks.

hmm..toothmail..you missed it again! :) read the words "largely centered" carefully....and now read the question again..you'll realise that corticosteriods is not the main form of treatment here, as some of these conditions bear only symptomatic treatment or no treatment...
so the answer given is correct..

eeks! :thumbdown:

kajal as u can see i have to now bid goodbye to a score like yours in part 2. :laugh:

bouy! doneven say that..i think you can pretty much rely on me as you prepare (for the most part..) and ill be your "life guard" untill you swim through the exam.. :laugh:

:) thanks kajal....thats very nice of you.

ok i have a doubt regarding the decks:

in ortho decks, one deck talks about SNA and SNB angles.

SNA angle is 82+ or - 2 which is correct in the decks.

its says an SNB angle of 80 is normal. as far as i know in the Steiner analysis an SNB angle of 78 is considered normal + or - 2. but decks say 80. any explanations? do we learn it as 78 or 80?

thanks smileydent
:)

Hello everyone,
New format is good.As i m preparing for Part 2 i wanted to know abt Pharma sites as described by smiley dent.If anybody else know,he/she is welcome to tell .Thanks for the help.My e-mail is [email protected].
Thanks once again.

:) thanx nondentist for the links & toothmail for including the pharmac link with the part 2 doubts! :thumbup:

smiledentist

Hello,
Thanks to all of u who r helping those preparing for part 2.May God bless everyone.

#The water supply of a community has 0.28 ppm. fluoride. Which of the following supplemental procedures is appropriate for a 3-year-old child?

a. Prescribe a fluoride rinse.
b. Prescribe 1 mg. fluoride per day.
c. Place the child on 3-month recall and apply fluoride topically each visit.
d. Fluoride supplement is unnecessary because the crowns of most permanent teeth have already formed.

answer given: b. isnt the correct recommended daily dosage of fluoride for 3-6yr olds 0.5mgF/day as of 1994 suggestions?

#Which of the following is true of serial extraction?

a. Is diagnosed solely on the basis of arch length analysis
b. Usually requires full orthodontics to complete treatment
c. Requires eventual extraction of permanent first premolars
d. None of the above

ans b why not c?

waiting for explanations.............

i checked and according to the AAPD recommendations as of 2003, the recommended daily dosage for children living in areas with less than 0.3ppmF in community water should be supplemented with upto 0.5mgF/day.

so what do u all think the right answer to the question in my previous post is?

regarding 1st question ,the supplemental dose is .25 mg. you can check it out in the dental decks in the age range between 6 months and 3 years when the water floridation is less than .3 you supplement the kid with .25 mg.

about the second question,serial extraction is indicate for class 1 malocclusion,there fore eventually you have to start orthodontic treatment,but not all cases require permanent 1st premolar extraction.

thanks toothlord. i know that the decks say 0.25 mgF/day for 6months to 3years and from 3years to 6years it is 0.5mgF/day. so the absolute max for a 3yr-old is .5mgF/day and cannot be 1mg (which was the answer given)...right?