part 2 surgical boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wonder if abfas will extended board certification eligibility dates (the 7 years) given case collections will be down due to covid and now looks like the exam is later as well

Members don't see this ad.

wonder if abfas will extended board certification eligibility dates (the 7 years) given case collections will be down due to covid and now looks like the exam is later as well

They will do whatever it takes to suck the most amount money out of you.

Reactions: 4 users
do you guys think the 9/22/20 part 2 exams will still occur? I guess no one knows at this point but wondering your guys' thoughts. Seems there aren't any new updates on abfas or pearson vue. Wonder if they might adapt an at home format like some of the other specialty exams i.e. Urgent Care.

Members don't see this ad :)
for those that took the part 2 certification cbps today what did you guys think? (without going into details).

I only took the foot section, but basically- good, bad and ugly.

I felt pretty comfortable overall. Felt like most cases were reasonable. I feel confident I will end up passing (if graded fairly)

There were a couple times I wanted to go back and add a treatment but I had already advanced and was unable to do so. Or, I realized a treatment option was actually available but couldn’t find it at the time I was looking for it (the search function sucks and needs fixed)
Only had to flat out guess a couple of times.

Lastly - I never have to treat pediatrics EVER so I guess I should’ve brushed up on that.

Yeah, "refer to peds ortho" should have been a treatment option.

It's the same exam its always been. They still have a hard-on for stuff most of us have never seen and/or will never see and treat. I don't think a majority of podiatrists who certified pre-CBPS exam could pass the exams I've taken (qualifying or certifying). It didn't feel terribly difficult but there was a disproportionate amount of peds, and you inevitably forget to select some answer they were looking for on a few of the cases, losing points.

Historically, the first time pass rate for this exam has been around 60-65%. And I promise that has more to do with the exam itself than it does the test takers. I am becoming more and more convinced this is purposeful. ABFAS is the only medical board or specialty board with a sub-80% first time pass rate. Board certification is an unfortunately necessary joke, not a protector of the public or an indication of additional training and/or skill. The rest of medicine has figured this out...of course Podiatrists/ABFAS Board members are the slowest to catch on.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you guys definitely straightfoward as well as difficult topics. I wish they would increase the number of physical exam choices. With only 10 selections you have to really guess what the test makers deem is the most important maneuvers. It is very difficult to stay in the confines of 10 choices at times.

I've got a great idea. If you are reading this and personally know a warrior of the social justice variety, please have them request pass rates based on ethnicity from ABFAS. If we can show that ABFAS exams are racist (sexist might work too, but probably not), then we can weaponize the sub-optimal test performances and the individuals that obtained them against the ABFAS for our own personal gain. At this point none of you should need convincing that this can actually work...

I've got a great idea. If you are reading this and personally know a warrior of the social justice variety, please have them request pass rates based on ethnicity from ABFAS. If we can show that ABFAS exams are racist (sexist might work too, but probably not), then we can weaponize the sub-optimal test performances and the individuals that obtained them against the ABFAS for our own personal gain. At this point none of you should need convincing that this can actually work...

There's actually a JFAS article this month on women in podiatry and RRA board certification is discussed as an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
In years past did they give you an answer key to the practice test? I found that really valuable. I learned from this that for ANY infection even if local, they want you to palpate lymph nodes and check vitals. So every infection case got that along with blood culture etc. Sucked that HR or BP took up one of those 10 PE choices. But yeah straightforward test in terms of what they want. It's like if you did this case orally the large majority would pass because you clearly demonstrated competence. But change it to a stupid computer test and ask for limited answers and that's where goes wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
ABFAS is the only medical board or specialty board with a sub-80% first time pass rate. Board certification is an unfortunately necessary joke, not a protector of the public or an indication of additional training and/or skill. The rest of medicine has figured this out...of course Podiatrists/ABFAS Board members are the slowest to catch on.

ABFAS... what a joke!!