part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HONEST DENTIST

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i am planning to take part 2 in june . i would like to know which schools prefer part 2 scores and how much is a competitive score?i heard that those schools which does not need part 2 scores to apply will not consider part 2 scores for the admission process. is that right?is it worth taking part 2 for admissions?please help
honest

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by HONEST DENTIST
i would like to know which schools prefer part 2 scores

Go to the "IDP Positives and Negatives" thread.

For the other questions about preferences, you could always contact the schools and ask them what do they consider a competitive score and whether having part 2 is or isn't and advantage.

Hey Honest..

About whether its worth taking part 2 for admissions, you can take a look at the Compiled List of IDP Acceptees by Mrinalini.. you can see for yourself how many acceptees have or have not taken Part 2, and then decide.. also its really a matter of which schools u prefer. If ur heart is set on a school which wants both exam results, then you'll have to give the test. If not, then I don't believe it is an added advantage.

T. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi meggs and tasha,
thanks you very much for the advise.
honest

see honest guy,people here with their good intention were trying to tell you that its unnecessory to take part 2 exam to apply for schools which havent requested part 2 as a requirement,but if you are so motivated and interested to go through the exam or if you are already started,take it because you have to take it anyway in the future to take the license.

Originally posted by toothlord
see honest guy,people here with their good intention were trying to tell you that its unnecessory to take part 2 exam to apply for schools which havent requested part 2 as a requirement,but if you are so motivated and interested to go through the exam or if you are already started,take it because you have to take it anyway in the future to take the license.

I assumed that if honest dentist was REALLY motivated and all set to take part 2 he wouldn't have asked us if it was really necessary.. :p

I was told by an interviewer that they totally disregard part 2 scores if they weren't asked for, for the sake of fairness.

By all means, go ahead and take it if you're ready.. it definitely doesn't hurt, plus you get to apply to schools like Tufts and LLU, but I don't think it will give you an edge at schools where its not a requirement.

hi tooth lord& ToTaLLy_TaSha,
i really appreciate your suggestions. i will help me to make a decision on taking part 2
thanks guys
honest

sorry ,i misspelled , actually it will help me in making a decision about part 2
honest

Originally posted by ToTaLLy_TaSha
I was told by an interviewer that they totally disregard part 2 scores if they weren't asked for, for the sake of fairness.

I was told the same at UOP, but to be honest, I don't beleive them. I have this thing where I don't beleive AdComs anything they say.

Originally posted by meggs
I was told the same at UOP, but to be honest, I don't beleive them. I have this thing where I don't beleive AdComs anything they say.

i dident want to post my opinion here because i dont have an experience yet with the admittion process and i dont know for sure but,i belive as we all agreed that you have to do what ever to improve your resume,which including research, volunteer work blah blah blah.....anything,so would it be so bad that they will ignore it and hate you if you took part 2 with a fair score?i dont think so,on contrary this will higher you at least when they face a problem of having 2 candidate with equal status,what will they do? sure they will weigh the one with part 2 score much higher.

Originally posted by HONEST DENTIST
sorry ,i misspelled , actually it will help me in making a decision about part 2
honest
Hi Honest,
In future if you want to change your own post you can simply click on edit and make the necessary changes..!!:)
take care

Hi Honest

am planning to take part2 in the first week of may.
I guess I have less than 2 months to go.
I am not happy with my part 1 scores,
so to widen my options (like Tash mentioned, that u can apply to tufts and LLU) am planning for part 2.
do let me know what all are u planning to cover.
have u started preparing?
I have ordered for Decks, kaplan and Qn. papers.

alrite,..cu
bye
Nol

Hi Honest and Nolls,
I am in the same boat...got a low score on the part1(85).If its ok..can you tel me what you guys scored and if you applied to any schools?I applied to BU and NYU...Interviewed at BU..Not much hope of getting in there.NYU had some application problems...Anyways,as most of the schools require your part1 score..Is'nt it a better idea to retake the part1?(Not discouraging you guys from taking the Part2)Also does your visa status matter for getting accepted?

Originally posted by pinkpeanuts
Also does your visa status matter for getting accepted?

Read the FAQ thread to find the answer to that FAQ.