Part II compare to Part I for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent 2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,
I was wondering if part II score is as important as part I score for residency application?
I appreciate your help:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi friends,
I was wondering if part II score is as important as part I score for residency application?

Part II is not as important as part I even if you apply with the score in your hand because there are many students applying at the end of 3rd year in dental school without the part II score. It simply doesn't make sense to compare your score with other applicants' when they don't even have the score.

Members don't see this ad :)
most of programs ask for part I for admission, and II before enrollment
but none, to my knowledge, ask for II for admission!

Hi friends,

I think Part II is only important if you have already graduated from dental school. And it also depends on what specialty you want. GPR's and AEGD's probably wouldn't care. I graduated 8 yrs ago and when I went to interviews for OMFS they looked at it but didn't care a whole bunch. I think Part I is way more important because they can compare you to all the people still in dental school who haven't taken Part II yet. Maybe if you got a 98 on Part I and a 75 on Part II, somebody might say something so if you go the route I went, it pays to do okay on Part II. Good luck!

Hi,
OMFS ORIF
Thanks for your answer.You said it depends on what specialty i want: If the specialty is Perio or Ortho, what do u think?
thanks so much for your help:)

Considering that I have an acceptance to a residency program, but still no part II score, I would say it's not as important.
agreed!I got accepted to ortho residency with my part1 score in hand!..although I had a good part1 score....I took my part2 much later...they never asked me about my part2!!

It looks like the OP is pre-dent. I think by the time you get to residency application, both part I and II would have turned into P/F only. I also heard they are combining two parts into one exam in early fourth year. Not quite sure tho.