Part One Dental Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxydentist

Implant Queen
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I thought of arranging the forum a bit by making a thread for each section for NBDE part one.... so if any body got any questions or need help in or got new useful information wana share in Dental Anatomy writes here......... :) hope that would make it easy for everybody planning to take part one soon .. (like me :oops: )

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys...have a doubt in the occlusion questions..when answering the arrow based questions on mandibular movemnets.how do we know whether it is a rite lateral movement or a left one ...i know that if its a straight arrow its working and an oblique is non working but i cant figure out abt the right side or left side. sorry of this question is dumb ...i read the dental anat tutorial but couldnt understand. any help on this would be great! is there any easy way to answer these occlusion questions because i know there are loads of them on the exam.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
The surfaces of which teeth listed below have a trapezoid outline?
1. Lingual and labial of posterior teeth
2. Lingual and facial of all teeth
3. Lingual and buccal of anterior teeth
4. Proximal surfaces of anterior teeth
5. Proximal surfaces of all posterior teeth

The answer was 2. Lingual and facial of all teeth
Could anybody explain me why? I really don't get how 2 can be the answer. :confused:
I would choose 5. Proximal surfaces of all posterior teeth

Answer is lingual and facial surface of all teeth.
Proximal surface of maxilary teeth has trapezoidal shape bur the proximl surface of mandibular teeth is rhomboidal (Thats what Kaplan says)

The surfaces of which teeth listed below have a trapezoid outline?
1. Lingual and labial of posterior teeth
2. Lingual and facial of all teeth
3. Lingual and buccal of anterior teeth
4. Proximal surfaces of anterior teeth
5. Proximal surfaces of all posterior teeth

The answer was 2. Lingual and facial of all teeth
Could anybody explain me why? I really don't get how 2 can be the answer. :confused:
I would choose 5. Proximal surfaces of all posterior teeth

Thanks for the answer Ruchig.
But, if so what about 1. lingual and labial of posterior teeth. For me, canines and premolars clearly don't have trapezoid outlines and that's what confusing me.

Answer is lingual and facial surface of all teeth.
Proximal surface of maxilary teeth has trapezoidal shape bur the proximl surface of mandibular teeth is rhomboidal (Thats what Kaplan says)

does occlusal table means lingual and facial surfaces??

Thanks for the answer Ruchig.
But, if so what about 1. lingual and labial of posterior teeth. For me, canines and premolars clearly don't have trapezoid outlines and that's what confusing me.

This is my reference from the same Decks.
2001 Ant-Inf card 6
When viewed from a buccal or lingual aspect, the crown of all mand and max incisores appear to have a:
1. Triangular outline
2. Trapezoidal outline
3. Rhomboidal outline
4. Rectangular outline

The answer is 2. Trapezoidal outline. This is obvious and clear.
The explanation follows is
When viewed from a lingual or labial (buccal) aspect, the following teeth have a trapezoidal outline:
- All central and lateral incisors, max and mand
- All posterior teeth, max and mand

Please post your comments. Thanks.

You are right. canine is pentagonal (trapezoid has 4 sides). I was just going by what I read in kaplan.
QUOTE=mrswinidm;4157079]Thanks for the answer Ruchig.
But, if so what about 1. lingual and labial of posterior teeth. For me, canines and premolars clearly don't have trapezoid outlines and that's what confusing me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Ruchig. So I should follow the DDs answer. [Although it's not really all but almost all teeth]

I think I would. ( if NDB accepts this answer I am ready to go with that);)
QUOTE=mrswinidm;4157443]Thanks again Ruchig. So I should follow the DDs answer. [Although it's not really all but almost all teeth][/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Which primary molar typically has a transverse ridge, an oblique ridge and a distolingual groove?
Answer: Maxillary second

My understanding is that the prim maxillary second resembles the permanent maxillary first which does not have a transverse ridge. I checked Wheeler's but don't see the transverse ridge mentioned either. Can someone confirm? Which tooth is it? I would guess the prim mandibular molar which resembles no other tooth. But then the description does not match. Thanks.

permanent Maxillary ist molar has an oblique ridge, distoling groove and transverse ridge. Transverse ridge, runs from the buccal cusp of the mesio-lingual cusp to the lingual cusp ridge of the mesio-buccal cusp.
i think the answer is right......
Which primary molar typically has a transverse ridge, an oblique ridge and a distolingual groove?
Answer: Maxillary second

My understanding is that the prim maxillary second resembles the permanent maxillary first which does not have a transverse ridge. I checked Wheeler's but don't see the transverse ridge mentioned either. Can someone confirm? Which tooth is it? I would guess the prim mandibular molar which resembles no other tooth. But then the description does not match. Thanks.

permanent Maxillary ist molar has an oblique ridge, distoling groove and transverse ridge. Transverse ridge, runs from the buccal cusp of the mesio-lingual cusp to the lingual cusp ridge of the mesio-buccal cusp.
i think the answer is right......
You lost me there. I skimmed through wheelers but don't see transverse ridge mentioned either. Transverse ridge is a characteristic of mand first which has two of them. Thanks for checking in.

Which cusps are visible from distal/mesial views? I can't seem to find this information. I'm thinking:

Distal: All five
Mesial: Cusp of carabelli, MB, and ML

What do you guys think? Thanks.

I couldn't find in kaplan either but when I browsed through internet. it was mentioned that max moalrs have transverse ridge.
You lost me there. I skimmed through wheelers but don't see transverse ridge mentioned either. Transverse ridge is a characteristic of mand first which has two of them. Thanks for checking in.

101. The maxillary canine is MOST likely to exhibit which of the following anomalies?
A. Agenesis
B. A dwarfed root
C. A lingual tubercle
D. A peg crown form
E. Root bifurcation

My book mentioned both B and C. Which one do you think? C?

114. In the intercuspal position, which of the following anterior teeth has the potential of contacting both anterior and posterior antagonists?
A. Maxillary lateral
B. Mand lateral
C. Maxillary canine
D. Mand canine
My understanding is except the mand central and max 3rd molars, all teeth occlude with two teeth. Is it not correct?

123. Which of the following anatomic features of a max lateral will MOST likely complicate root planning?
A. Root convexity
B. Mesial concavity
C. Distolingual groove
D. Root bifurcation
E. Extreme distal cervical line curvature
I'm clueless here

124. The contact areas of anterior teeth are incisal to the middle thirds in each of following EXCEPT one. Which one?
A. Distal contact of the max canine
B. Mesial contact of the max canine
C. Mesial contact of the max lateral
D. Mesial contact of mand lateral
E. Distal contact of the mand lateral

I'm confused here. I thought there was no exception. What about the IJ, JM, JM and II, II, IM rules from the decks? Is it not always true?

Thanks.

123. Which of the following anatomic features of a max lateral will MOST likely complicate root planning?
A. Root convexity
B. Mesial concavity
C. Distolingual groove
D. Root bifurcation
i think mesial concavity

124. The contact areas of anterior teeth are incisal to the middle thirds in each of following EXCEPT one. Which one?
I think it is A

101. The maxillary canine is MOST likely to exhibit which of the following anomalies?
A. Agenesis
B. A dwarfed root
C. A lingual tubercle
D. A peg crown form
E. Root bifurcation

My book mentioned both B and C. Which one do you think? C?

114. In the intercuspal position, which of the following anterior teeth has the potential of contacting both anterior and posterior antagonists?
A. Maxillary lateral
B. Mand lateral
C. Maxillary canine
D. Mand canine
My understanding is except the mand central and max 3rd molars, all teeth occlude with two teeth. Is it not correct?

A. Root convexity
B. Mesial concavity
C. Distolingual groove
D. Root bifurcation
I'm clueless here

I'm confused here. I thought there was no exception. What about the IJ, JM, JM and II, II, IM rules from the decks? Is it not always true?

Thanks.

114.c (it means that max canine contacts an anterior, lower canine & a posterior ,i.e a lower premolar)
123.c

Thanks for the replies.
114. I checked with my typodonts and all the other teeth occlude (make contacts) with two teeth as I expect too. :confused:
123. What is the distolingual groove on the lateral? Where did you get this information?
124. The IJ... rules never broke until today for that particular question. I have used it and it worked for every single question. What do you think about this rule?

Couple more questions:

135. Regarding actions of the TMJ, rotation of the condyle primarily occurs in which of the following joint spaces?
A. Posterior
B. Superior
C. Anterior
D. Inferior

D?

176. Each of the following root surface on a mandibular first molar normally exhibits a longitudinal groove EXCEPT
(Surface --- Root)
A. Mesial --- Mesial
B. Distal --- Mesial
C. Mesial --- Distal
D. Distal --- Distal

D?

Thanks.

wireless_doc
114 the question is about which tooth contact with both anterior and posterior tooth ( Anterior being central , lateral and canines and postrior being molars and premolars). I hope I was simple.
123 I had a question in few dental anatomy papers and the answer mentioned was distoling groove
124 I tried to answer this question by IJ, JM, JM and II, II, IM .

Is the groove extending from surface of crown to root? I couldnt understand?

176. Each of the following root surface on a mandibular first molar normally exhibits a longitudinal groove EXCEPT
(Surface --- Root)
A. Mesial --- Mesial
B. Distal --- Mesial
C. Mesial --- Distal
D. Distal --- Distal

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

wireless_doc
114 the question is about which tooth contact with both anterior and posterior tooth ( Anterior being central , lateral and canines and postrior being molars and premolars). I hope I was simple.
123 I had a question in few dental anatomy papers and the answer mentioned was distoling groove
124 I tried to answer this question by IJ, JM, JM and II, II, IM .

114. I hope this won't happen during my test. I thought by anterior they mean in front and posterior means behind! Now it makes sense.
124. Based on this rule, the distal contact of max canine would be Middle third which should not be the exception, right?
176. That's all the question says. I think they refer to the groove as you see on bifurcated root.

Last question for this test,
192. The distolingual cusp of the right mandibular first molar is fractured by excessive contact with the opposing max molar during right lateral excursion. Which of the following is the MOST likely location of the interference?
A. Lingual surface of a max lingual cusp
B. Facial surface of a max lingual cusp
C. Facial surface of a max facial cusp
D. Lingual surface of a max facial cusp
E. Occlusal table of the max molar

A?

Thanks.

According IJ rules Maxillary canine's distal contact area is at middle 1/3 and that is not incisal to middle1/3. The question is about EXCEPT.
135 D
176. so does it mean distal surface of distal root is the answer if I understood properly.
192. D . I think because during lateral excursion the madibular cusps moves away from midline.
Correct me if I am wrong. I find DA most confusing.....

Can anyone answer these
1 Of maxillary anterior teeth, which tooth has the highest prpensity towards dilaceration
a centrals
b lateral
c canines
d laterals and canine

The mesial side of maxillary molar is commonly perforated on entering pulp chamber . Disregard which anatomical feature will lead to this occurence
a curve of spee
b compensating occlusal curvature
c long axis
d plane of occlusion

Pulp horns and pulp chambers are anatomically located
a right at midroot crown level
b at the level of cervical line
c below cervical line
d near midroot level

In carving the occ surface of permanent max 1st molar, occ contact is anticipated on
1 ling slope of facial cusp
2 facial slope of ling cisp
3 facial slope of facial cusp
4 ling slope of ling cusp
a 1,2,3
b 1,2,4
c3,4
d all the above

Thanx!

1 Of maxillary anterior teeth, which tooth has the highest prpensity towards dilaceration
a centrals
b lateral
c canines
d laterals and canine

ans-b

The mesial side of maxillary molar is commonly perforated on entering pulp chamber . Disregard which anatomical feature will lead to this occurence
a curve of spee
b compensating occlusal curvature
c long axis
d plane of occlusion

ans-c i m not sure about this ans.

Pulp horns and pulp chambers are anatomically located
a right at midroot crown level
b at the level of cervical line
c below cervical line
d near midroot level

ans-c

In carving the occ surface of permanent max 1st molar, occ contact is anticipated on
1 ling slope of facial cusp
2 facial slope of ling cisp
3 facial slope of facial cusp
4 ling slope of ling cusp
a 1,2,3
b 1,2,4
c3,4
d all the above

ans-b

I m not sure about the ans,correct me if i m wrong.
thanks
tulaja

1.which of the follwing restoration is least likely to interfere with intercuspal contacts ?
a.distolingual class 2 on canine
b.MO mand right 1st premolar
c.MOD max right 2nd premolar
d.MO max 1st molar
a
2.In sagittal plane,initial occlusal contact in retruded contact position occurs
a.superior position than Intercuspal position (iCP)
.b.inferior position than icp
c.same vertical position than icp
d.more vertical position than icp
b
3.when viewed from sagittal plane and progressing anteriorly,the axial inclination of ant teeth
a.inclines facially
b. " lingually
c. " mesially
d. " distally
e.remains vertical
c(i am not sure)
thnx

3.when viewed from sagittal plane and progressing anteriorly,the axial inclination of ant teeth
a.inclines facially
b. " lingually
c. " mesially
d. " distally
e.remains vertical

I think its A correct me if i am wrong

Dont you think it can only be possible in max ant teeth. What about mand ant teeth. I am confused?
a.inclines facially
b. " lingually
c. " mesially
d. " distally
e.remains vertical

I think its A correct me if i am wrong

Hi friends,
Pls help me with madibular movements. I mean the envelop(border) movements. Any good website for this topic? Thanks.

hey guys pl help me with these q s
1.The pulp cavity form of a maxillary first premolar, as seen in a mesiodistal section,

a. has two pulp horns visible.
b. appears singularly pointed like a canine pulp cavity.

c. has two root canals visible.

d. shows an accessory canal in the apical third.

2.The central pit on the occlusal surface of a mandibular second premolar is usually displaced toward the:

a. mesial.
b. distal.

c. lingual.

d. facial.
3.Faciolingually, the proximal contacts of posterior teeth are:

a. located centrally.
b. displaced facially.

c. displaced lingually.

d. found to vary considerably.

4.Comparing the lingual and facial embrasures of premolar teeth, one finds that:

a. they are the same depth.
b. lingual embrasures are deeper.

c. facial embrasures are deeper.

d. their depth varies a great deal with each premolar.

thanx a lot .

can anyone explain me if this line is correct ----
In the working side movement ( right or left ), the mesiobuccal cusp of maxillary 1st molar passer through the ligual groove of the mandibular 1st molar..

hey guys pl help me with these q s
1.The pulp cavity form of a maxillary first premolar, as seen in a mesiodistal section,

a. has two pulp horns visible.
b. appears singularly pointed like a canine pulp cavity.

c. has two root canals visible.

d. shows an accessory canal in the apical third.

2.The central pit on the occlusal surface of a mandibular second premolar is usually displaced toward the:

a. mesial.
b. distal.

c. lingual.

d. facial.
3.Faciolingually, the proximal contacts of posterior teeth are:

a. located centrally.
b. displaced facially.

c. displaced lingually.

d. found to vary considerably.

4.Comparing the lingual and facial embrasures of premolar teeth, one finds that:

a. they are the same depth.
b. lingual embrasures are deeper.

c. facial embrasures are deeper.

d. their depth varies a great deal with each premolar.

thanx a lot .

I guess 2. c; 3. b; 4. b

can anyone explain me if this line is correct ----
In the working side movement ( right or left ), the mesiobuccal cusp of maxillary 1st molar passer through the ligual groove of the mandibular 1st molar..
In the working side movement ( right or left ), the mesiolingual cusp of maxillary 1st molar passes through the ligual groove of the mandibular 1st molar

this ic frm 77 released paper ..i couldnt get the pic here...plzz ans this with explanation.....

[66]Grooves present on tooth surfaces at or near embrasures help stabilize the arch. These grooves are typically associated with which of the lettered embrasures in the illustration?

(a), (c) and (d)
(b), (c) and (d) only
(b) and (d) only
(b), (c), (d) and (f)
(b) and (f) only
(c) and (d) only
(c), (e) and (f)
| A | B | C | D | E | F | G |

how many pulp horns r present in maxillary first molar???? n name them..
plzz answer this

The muscle of mastication that is primarily responsible for synchronizing the movements of the condyle and the articular disc is

1. Masseter
2. Temporalis
3. Medial Pterygoid
4. Lateral Pterygoid

Answer not given, but my guess is Temporalis:confused: .........

Can anybody plz confirm/correct with explanation:scared: ......

Thanks in advance,

CT

well i think the ans is lateral ptergoid because it insert in the disc also while protuding the madible its synchronised moment is necessary , correct me if wrong

1977 DA question no.8

The maxillary tooth exhibiting the greatest statistical variation in root alignment is the

a. central incisor.
b. lateral incisor.
c. canine.
d. first premolar.
e. second premolar.
f. first molar.
g. second molar