part-time and research-combined residencies?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Seal, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Seal

Seal Member

I just read "A Woman in Residence" by Dr. Michelle Harrison, who described her experiences as a single mother going through an OB-GYN residency later in life. She mentioned that there were such things as part-time residencies. When she wrote the book, apparently these residencies were rare and not really accepted by the medical community. Is this still the case now? Are there actually part-time residencies in all fields, or are these residencies still very uncommon and limited to primary care?

I am also curious about research during residency. I know that some residency programs encourage and even allow time for research, but are there combined-research programs that have, say 3 years of clinical practice but a whole year of a post-doc type of research?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Rare - yes in Surgery and Surgical specialties. They are most prevalent in primary care, "family friendly" specialties. Sometimes they require that you "share" a position - ie, they must accept 2 people into one position which obviously means they have to have more than 1 applicant willing to work part-time.

You can search for part-time residencies at http://www.ama-assn.org/freida

best of luck.