part-time ed work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c diddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all
i am curious as to how easily attainable part-time work in eds is. for instance, if i wanted to work only one 24hr shift/wk in some slower suburban or rural ed, how easily would i be able to find hospitals/groups willing to let me have this type of set-up? i am interested in pursuing other work endeavors in my spare time, which is why i ask. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i've seen it done in new york, but the particular day the attending works varies from week to week.

You're asking in the wrong place. There are too many variables to be able to answer your question. You also don't state what qualifications you have to work there. The best thing would be just to call around to various groups around town and see if they're interested in hiring you per diem.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I realized that I was going to want to work part time I called all the groups in town and offered them my services for the friday and saturday overnight shifts two weekends per month. Then I basically went with the highest bidder. I had an advantage in that almost all the hospitals in town were staffed by small democratic groups and thus were very interested in not having to work weekend overnights. If all the hospitals in town were staffed by one of the big mega-groups I probably wouldn't have as much leverage. It has worked out very well for me. I get a fair hourly rate, a regular schedule, and the group doesn't have to work as many overnights