Part time job allowed for MSTP students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSTP2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anybody know if you are allowed to have a part time job, such as teaching for Kaplan or Princeton Review, during an MSTP and grad school? I think there maybe rules against this...is it different at different programs, or does the NIH ban it altogether?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm . . . during your "free time"?

I've met a lot of people who teach for Kaplan/TPR etc. One guy was even the regional coordinator for Kaplan which was a full-time salaried position. I'm still not sure how he pulled that one off...

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, i wasn't planning on anything as extreme as a full time position, just a 4-8 hour/week commitment where i could pick up some extra money for living... I'm very surprised to hear that he could have a salaried position! It seems like if the NIH caught wind of that, they wouldn't be too happy...

awww I liked the pickle in a white coat better!

If I do anything outside of lab, I was planning on running the review sessions for the M1s and M2s in a hopeless attempt to limit how much I forget before getting to the clinic.

If I do anything outside of lab, I was planning on running the review sessions for the M1s and M2s in a hopeless attempt to limit how much I forget before getting to the clinic.

hi maxprime,
i was hoping to teach mcat bio, to recall some anatomy etc for the same reason. Are you planning on doing this thru TPR or Kaplan? If so, are you allowed by your mstp to have this job?
thanks

I was talking about running review sessions at my school for the underclassmen (unpaid) - I've seen this done @ other schools and was told it helps them keep the clinical material in their heads while they're in the lab.

As for TPR/Kaplan, I know that most graduate programs have a big problem with you working anywhere else - they want you in the lab. Your PI is going to ask you why you have all this extra time that you can't be doing experiments.

I looked @ teaching for TPR - it's a pretty decent time commitment your first time around b/c you have to make up lectures. But in the years following, it's good $ for the time you put in.

I dont think having a 2nd job is legal under the terms of an NIH funded MSTP position; however, people do it anyway and get away with it.

I dont think having a 2nd job is legal under the terms of an NIH funded MSTP position; however, people do it anyway and get away with it.

True. A post doc in my current lab was working a couple hours a week at a bagel store near campus for some extra cash. Then a graduate school admin came in the store for coffee early one morning. He had to quit the same day.

is it different at different programs

It is. I had a short, part-time gig you might call a job. In typical fashion for most things, I had to get 3 signatures on a form (i.e. several approvals), submit it, and then a bunch of people had to argue about it. For approval here it would depend on the job and how everyone felt about it, but mostly the director's opinion.

I know several guys who do stuff without telling their MSTPs. Shhh :D I really don't think it benefits you to work at the freaking coffee shop, but I think most people can see the benefit to advising consulting or pharma or teaching/tutoing, etc...

My 2cents: Don't waste time tutoring for free just in an attempt to keep the clinical knowledge intact. You will have plenty of time to relearn that on the fly as a 3rd year. Really, if you have time like that you should be in the lab running a gel, reading the lit, etc. There is a time to do the other stuff - it's called med school. This is the only chance you have to totally think about science, you won't have this kind of protected time again for years and years if you do a residency.