part time job as a dental assistant in canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woesermarley

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering why its so hard to get a job as a dental assistant in canada,especially toronto. i'd really appreciate if any forum members would post some useful advice, tips or info. hoping to hear some really informative tips soon. peace.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! woesermarley,
In which area of Toronto you are living presently?Do you look for Torontostar & Workopolis.com for dental assistant jobs?

I think I can guide you more,let me know the area you are residing.
Best of luck!

woesermarley said:
i was wondering why its so hard to get a job as a dental assistant in canada,especially toronto. i'd really appreciate if any forum members would post some useful advice, tips or info. hoping to hear some really informative tips soon. peace.

hi there

the reason being , there was a culture of dental nurses in ontario,dental assistant supose to be a female, if you happen to see dental assisting program in canada ,you would realise that male candidate are none there.I am working as a dental assistant but pt that is because dentist is my friend or therwise if you go & talk to DA program coordinators , they will never tell this truth to you, before registration.

Members don't see this ad :)
woesermarley said:

It shouldn't be difficult to get a job as a DA in Canada- if you are a registered Canadian Dental Assistant. You should contact the CDA to apply for membership- local dental assistant associations also can help with job placement.
Are you a RDA? or just wanting to work as an unregistered assistant?

princessfiona said:
It shouldn't be difficult to get a job as a DA in Canada- if you are a registered Canadian Dental Assistant. You should contact the CDA to apply for membership- local dental assistant associations also can help with job placement.
Are you a RDA? or just wanting to work as an unregistered assistant?

hi princessfiona,
how do v register with these...actuall i am also in canada...toronto.could u please guide me as i am gonna do this job for just 6-7 months so can u please tell me the expenditure involved...can u please pm me the details....
thankz in advance,i ll be really greatfull to u.
bye,
cheers.

Hi to everybody! I hope you will find usifull the following information and some tips regarding the DA job . I am what we call here a foriegn-trained dentist who is working as a dental assistant in Canada, i.e in Montreal. I never ever finished any dental assisting programs in Canada as I find it a wasting time but I did have an experience as a dental assistant in my country . Before composing my resume I was doubting whether I should be totally honest and show them that i'm a dentist or just put there that I am and always was dental assistant and worked as a DA for the whole of my life....finally I decided to be honest...It took me one month to find a job in a surgical dental clinic where they stress on implant surgery mainly. I think it was a sheer fortune, a luck, no more than that. With time , a bit later , I realised that. My conclusions are: at all interviews that I've been the main question was "But you are dentist!" which implies " Hey! It is a temporary job for you, but we want someone for a long time not just a year or so...!" Next thing is , guys, if you are a good dentist does not mean that you can be a good assistant, believe me! It is something that you will have to learn. One more thing that I want to mention is that the situation with DAs in Montreal is different from Toronto ( but I may be not right) As far as I know in Toronto to work as a DA , you are obliged to complete a DA course in Toronto, in Montreal it is not a must. But...in Montreal what is a must is french language even at a basic level :)

hi woesermarley,
i have heard not yet applied, that there is a HARP certificate which u can get in 4-6 wks and u can work as a DA, no need to do a DA course, best if u have contacts, anyone known who can introduce u to his dentist and u can get a job. also u can just pick up ur area or toronto directory and call as many dentists as u can,some would call u for sure for interview. i did the same, got a job, but before that one of my uncle's dentist employed me, i dont yet have a harp certificate, so if u knw people here, just be after them it really helps.shall writeabt the HARP certificate soon, there is no charge for that.
are u an indian? i am ,so i looked for a job amonng indian dentists, canadians would never hire u, so u canm find ur community dentists and meet them.

all the best!

woesermarley said:

Hi everybody...I am a dentist from India and am interested in working as a dental assistant in Canada..Can anyone tell me how to apply ?

hi woesermarley,
i have heard not yet applied, that there is a HARP certificate which u can get in 4-6 wks and u can work as a DA, no need to do a DA course, best if u have contacts, anyone known who can introduce u to his dentist and u can get a job. also u can just pick up ur area or toronto directory and call as many dentists as u can,some would call u for sure for interview. i did the same, got a job, but before that one of my uncle's dentist employed me, i dont yet have a harp certificate, so if u knw people here, just be after them it really helps.shall writeabt the HARP certificate soon, there is no charge for that.
are u an indian? i am ,so i looked for a job amonng indian dentists, canadians would never hire u, so u canm find ur community dentists and meet them.

all the best!
h

hi pooja , wat u wrote was so encouraging dear, i recently came to canada, am a BDS girl from punjab ,india
i have not got any dental assistant job yet, one indian doc i went 2told me no doctor wud hire u if u dont have Harp certificate n harp ppl dont give any info on phone or net about wat my oral radiology dental transcript should state so that i get harp certified, pls help me dear.can i get any of ur contact no. or email id, cuz i dont have any frnd here , noone to help in my own field

i wonder why any one will do the same mistake i did and come to canada and try the same stupide mistake i did
if you have time , money , energy . welcome to canada where they will be all gone and wasted for no reason
I have seen people trying the stupide piece of crab called EE . ,which is an exam aimed at fooling you around with no point

forget it ,. i took the CDA exam , and I am waiting for a job 4 years so far , honestly Canada is a ****ing piece of **** , the system here is ****ing ******ed