Part-Time job ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonvoyage

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey so i am done with my 2ndaries. i am no longer an ugrad student. so it might be a good idea for me to get a job. but i cant think of any. im browsing craigslist right now. and im not impressed with the jobs that i get from searches like "hospital" or "teaching". i volunteer at a hospital twice per week.

Members don't see this ad.

Does it have to be medically related? I have always been a strong supporter of working as pizza delivery......as far as part time jobs go, you make bank.

hey so i am done with my 2ndaries. i am no longer an ugrad student. so it might be a good idea for me to get a job. but i cant think of any. im browsing craigslist right now. and im not impressed with the jobs that i get from searches like "hospital" or "teaching". i volunteer at a hospital twice per week.

If you live somewhere near an academic medical center, you could attempt to get a lab position part-time. That would definitely be helpful for your application process, and for your future career.

Members don't see this ad :)
A great option is being a PCA for a disabled individual or working at a group home. It can get demanding depending on the situation, but it's great experience to have so much responsibility in taking care of someone.

Does it have to be medically related? I have always been a strong supporter of working as pizza delivery......as far as part time jobs go, you make bank.
doesnt have to be medicine or research related if it pays well. but pizza delivery pays well? i am afraid not.

If you live somewhere near an academic medical center, you could attempt to get a lab position part-time. That would definitely be helpful for your application process, and for your future career.
i live in nyc. i doubt i could even get a full-time position at a lab. where do i look? and as far as i know most labs want u to work for at least 1 year, i have only several months... and i wouldnt be interested in un-paid work because i cant just work 5times/wk without getting paid.

A great option is being a PCA for a disabled individual or working at a group home. It can get demanding depending on the situation, but it's great experience to have so much responsibility in taking care of someone.
not my cup of tea. but thanks for the suggestion.

so far this is the most i could find at craigslist:
"Since you are surfing on Craigslist instead of working at your little cubicle, I will assume that you can't stand the thought of spending a beautiful NY autumn cooped up at your boring office job. You need to get out now, before there is an “incident” and you end up splashed all over CNN, and MSNBC. What is to be done? Did you happen to peek over your cubicle wall and notice that messenger who was in your office earlier? Did your morbid ennui lift when you imagined yourself cycling down Broadway with the wind in your hair? Instead of your family nit-picking your life choices this year why don’t you really send them over the edge by showing up with a tattoo and telling them you are working as a “Professional Bike Courier”. Drop an e-mail to Breakaway Courier. Our full-time, commission based bike couriers can make up to $700 per week. Part-timers can make $9-$15 per hour for their time with our commission incentives. This is the perfect job for artist, actors, and students who need high earning part-time work. It's also great for athletes who want to train and work at the same time. Shrug off those Summer doldrums at Breakaway!"

i mean just like with pizza delivery, an illegal immigrant can do it... but somehow i dont see too many jobs that would take an ugrad without any job experience or certificates or commitment.

male stripper (assuming ur a guy)

professional dog walker? they actually make a lot of money. :)

Here's what you do. Find a ritzy place in town, something with an expensive wine list. Those types of places waiters make 300-500 a night. Its not as easy as it sounds.. you have to learn the menu inside/out and all about the wine.

But for your time, serving tables in general is the best way to make quick money (in cash). Think about it. During a 5-10pm shift I can make around $200 in tips. Do it just 3 times a week and your making $30,000 a year (that isn't taxed). You need to be willing to work hard, practice, and sometimes sacrifice your weekend nights.

But this job leaves you with plenty of free time to pursue health related volunteering.

professional dog walker? they actually make a lot of money. :)
most of their ads require "6months commitment", "full-time work" or "live 1 block from the clients so u could get work quickly". and u have to pick up dog ****. basically unless u make a career of it, it is even worse than being a pedicab. and even to be a pedicab i think u now need to have a license. and to be a bartender u need to know how the names of all the drinks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what you do. Find a ritzy place in town, something with an expensive wine list. Those types of places waiters make 300-500 a night. Its not as easy as it sounds.. you have to learn the menu inside/out and all about the wine.

But for your time, serving tables in general is the best way to make quick money (in cash). Think about it. During a 5-10pm shift I can make around $200 in tips. Do it just 3 times a week and your making $30,000 a year (that isn't taxed). You need to be willing to work hard, practice, and sometimes sacrifice your weekend nights.

But this job leaves you with plenty of free time to pursue health related volunteering.
and how am i going to get this job? maybe if i were a hot girl, i could just walk in and get it. but otherwise they want a resume with relevant experience...

What's your degree in? and what do you like doing?
i studied math. i like tennis and long walks on the beach. and i like beer. basically i am useless.

Bookkeeping? Tutoring?

Give tennis lessons?

im considering tutoring. but while the pay per hour is more than satisfactory, it takes time to gain a clientele. and u know if i meet at some starbucks for an hour of tutoring, i get only 1 hr of work. it takes skills to get a lot of hours in on 1 day and to take the other day complete off(because i have other obligations).
i suck at tennis.

Bonvoyage,

Be a quick learner. Last year I went into Georgetown and literally walked from restaurant to restaurant looking for a job. I had never served a table before in my life. Granted, I lied and said I had served breakfast in order to get a job, it wasn't too tough to learn as I went. Then again, it wasn't exactly easy either. It did take some time to learn the timing and multitasking.

My point is that everyone starts somewhere, and you don't have to start at a ritsy place, but don't waste your time starting in a place where you struggle for a hundred a night-- there ARE better restaurant options out there.

Compared to other jobs, if you can make 150 in 5 hours, you are probably make more per hour than any other job for your credentials (nothing).

Vote for Ron Paul?

He isn't running.

Bonvoyage,

Be a quick learner. Last year I went into Georgetown and literally walked from restaurant to restaurant looking for a job. I had never served a table before in my life. Granted, I lied and said I had served breakfast in order to get a job, it wasn't too tough to learn as I went. Then again, it wasn't exactly easy either. It did take some time to learn the timing and multitasking.

My point is that everyone starts somewhere, and you don't have to start at a ritsy place, but don't waste your time starting in a place where you struggle for a hundred a night-- there ARE better restaurant options out there.

Compared to other jobs, if you can make 150 in 5 hours, you are probably make more per hour than any other job for your credentials (nothing).

Thanks but i suspect they'll ask me to fill out an application and write down references from previous employments. of course if i make up some names they will not necessarily call but it still seems like too much effort. i mean if someone just offered me a waiter job at 150/night, i'd take it. but it's not something im excited about, so i dont want to go around places. i mean i could walk around all day and not find any job...

and i looked into being a bike messenger. supposedly they can get up to 150/day but thats really hard and stupid work. i could probably enjoy being a mover more.

i am now even leaning towards doing kaplan or tpr teaching. the problem with that is that at first u would have to waste time to prepare your lessons(so u work like 3hrs but u waste like 10hrs). it's only after u've worked for a while that you no longer have to prepare and u can get private tutoring. but if i work for only a short period i miss out on all of this. so i might get the bitch work like as if i were a bike messenger. but in case i do this, i wonder if kaplan or tpr is better?

Teach MCAT prep classes for The Princeton Review. :thumbup:

Teach MCAT prep classes for The Princeton Review. :thumbup:
what are the pros/cons of teaching for kaplan vs tpr? which company will give me my 1st paycheck sooner if i call both of them tomorrow to set up an interview? also i once called tpr and signed up for their open house or whatever but didnt come because i couldnt wake up that early. will they remember that? thanks.

Most people will tell you to get a lab job but that's not always easy to get. I suggest you suck it up and look for a job in retail. It doesn't pay much but the bright side is you won't be doing it for a long time and the work is easy depending on where you apply. Would you be comfortable explaining that you work as a bar tender at an interview...but it might not come up...or you could just say you work at a restaurant.