Part-Time PhysAssist Scribe, Full-Time Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposanegra17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my Skype interview for becoming a PhysAssist Scribe earlier today and I think it went very well. The interviewer mentioned that it isn't uncommon for a full-time pre med student to be a part-time scribe, but it can be difficult. I think she mentioned that I would have to work 2-3 weekend shifts and at least one overnight.

My school schedule is quite hefty (fall 2013):

Monday: Chemistry 3:30PM-4:45PM

Tuesday: Intro to Research Methods 9:30AM-11:10AM, Statistics 11:30AM-12:45PM, Psychology and the Law 2:30PM-3:45PM, Biology 5:30PM-6:45PM*

Wednesday: Chemistry Lab 9:30AM-11:30AM, Chemistry 3:30PM-4:45PM

Thursday: Same as Tuesday*

Friday: Biology Lab 8:30AM-11:30AM

The shifts they offer each day are 7:00AM-3:00PM, 10:00AM-6:00PM, 3:00PM-11:00PM, 6:00PM-2:00AM, and 11:00PM-7:00AM.

In your experience, do you think that it would be possible (judging by my schedule) for me to work just weekends? I'm not quite sure how this position works. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated! ^-^

Members don't see this ad.

I had my Skype interview for becoming a PhysAssist Scribe earlier today and I think it went very well. The interviewer mentioned that it isn't uncommon for a full-time pre med student to be a part-time scribe, but it can be difficult. I think she mentioned that I would have to work 2-3 weekend shifts and at least one overnight.

My school schedule is quite hefty (fall 2013):

Monday: Chemistry 3:30PM-4:45PM

Tuesday: Intro to Research Methods 9:30AM-11:10AM, Statistics 11:30AM-12:45PM, Psychology and the Law 2:30PM-3:45PM, Biology 5:30PM-6:45PM*

Wednesday: Chemistry Lab 9:30AM-11:30AM, Chemistry 3:30PM-4:45PM

Thursday: Same as Tuesday*

Friday: Biology Lab 8:30AM-11:30AM

The shifts they offer each day are 7:00AM-3:00PM, 10:00AM-6:00PM, 3:00PM-11:00PM, 6:00PM-2:00AM, and 11:00PM-7:00AM.

In your experience, do you think that it would be possible (judging by my schedule) for me to work just weekends? I'm not quite sure how this position works. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated! ^-^

That is absolutely possible, especially with your schedule, and I don't even think it'll be difficult to do so. There are many pre-meds who manage to work full-time (or close to full-time) or work multiple jobs while a full-time student. The shifts you have to choose from are extremely flexible compared to many hospitals I've looked at in my area (they only have the normal 7a-3p, 3p-11p, 11p-7a). I'd take the position.

That is absolutely possible, especially with your schedule, and I don't even think it'll be difficult to do so. There are many pre-meds who manage to work full-time (or close to full-time) or work multiple jobs while a full-time student. The shifts you have to choose from are extremely flexible compared to many hospitals I've looked at in my area (they only have the normal 7a-3p, 3p-11p, 11p-7a). I'd take the position.

Oh, wow! Thank you so much! I'm most likely just over thinking it. That is so good to hear!

Now I wait to see if I even get the job :p

Members don't see this ad :)

I worked for PhysAssist and most of the scribes were either full-time students or working during their gap year. Part-timers usually worked weekend shifts and picked up shifts when they could. On my team, we were also allowed to trade shifts, so that's something else to consider. We always sent in our schedules a month in advance and blocked off the times we absolutely could not work due to class or another job - the scheduler is not allowed to stick you in a shift during those times. On the flip side, you have to show availability for a certain number of weekends and graveyard shifts.

I worked for PhysAssist and most of the scribes were either full-time students or working during their gap year. Part-timers usually worked weekend shifts and picked up shifts when they could. On my team, we were also allowed to trade shifts, so that's something else to consider. We always sent in our schedules a month in advance and blocked off the times we absolutely could not work due to class or another job - the scheduler is not allowed to stick you in a shift during those times. On the flip side, you have to show availability for a certain number of weekends and graveyard shifts.

Well, that's good to hear! Thank you for your input! :)

I was a scribe with similar shift times. It was difficult with school and other ECs, but definitely doable. If you're good with time management, you'll be in great shape. I'd normally work 3/4 weekends in a month with one shift during the week. It's all dependent on the program. Best of luck.

I was a scribe with similar shift times. It was difficult with school and other ECs, but definitely doable. If you're good with time management, you'll be in great shape. I'd normally work 3/4 weekends in a month with one shift during the week. It's all dependent on the program. Best of luck.

Thank you very much! It will take some adjusting, but I know that I can handle it! :D

I worked as a part-time scribe for two years during undergrad. It was busy, especially while I was studying for the MCAT and getting married (which, of course, happened at around the same time... :rolleyes: ), but it is definitely a do-able thing. Just be prepared to manage your time well. Hope you get the job - scribing is a blast!

I worked as a part-time scribe for two years during undergrad. It was busy, especially while I was studying for the MCAT and getting married (which, of course, happened at around the same time... :rolleyes: ), but it is definitely a do-able thing. Just be prepared to manage your time well. Hope you get the job - scribing is a blast!

Thank you!!! I think I'm ready for the challenge! :p

Have you joined the hospital as a Physassist scribe? I would love to hear how its going so far, cuz im in a similar situation: 16 credit course load and really want to do part time scribing!