Part-time senior year (no other option) - damaging for med school app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavispremed92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, thanks in advance for any input.

First, context:

I am a political science major taking the premed requirements and finishing up my senior year. I connected the major to medicine by interning as a policy analyst at the California Medical Association. I have 1.5 (will be closer to 3 by time I apply) years in a lab, 8 months' employment as an EMT in ED, work in free clinic associated with my undergraduate institution's med school, and participated in clinical work in South Africa that is directly tied to my lab's research in HIV. Sci/mat gpa is 3.83 as of now, could be up to 3.9 or down to minimum of ~3.7 if this and final quarter go badly.

My current situation:

I was a community college transfer and avoided taking any prereqs besides gen chem there (no choice, as it is required for app). All other reqs I have taken at Davis and all are outside of my major. This required me to do 3 years at Davis after transferring to finish major/fulfill reqs. I finished my major reqs at the end of my second year, but still had 6 required premed courses remaining. Two of them are series (phsics - 3 courses and biochem - 2 courses), so cannot be taken in same quarter and there was an additional calculus class to fill it out. I could not take additional easy classes of any kind because I am running up against the unit cap. This is because I came in with maximum credits for a transfer and have a good number of additional credits from lab/clinical work my lab and clinic credits.

After graduation, I am taking a year to continue with my lab work (we are near publication and I am slated to be a co-author), but this is really a cover to spend months preparing for the MCAT.

This is all a long way of saying that I have no choice but to be part-time my entire senior year. I do believe I have a good explanation for all of this, but will adcoms look deeply enough to see it? If this is damaging, is there anything I can do to mitigate that damage?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was part time for my last term, never came up/don't know if anyone even noticed

You sound like a superstar student and applicant, I wouldn't worry. At least I'm not, I'm applying this coming cycle and I'm only taking one full-time class plus writing a thesis/volunteering/shadowing/working to fill in my extra time.

idt anyone would care considering the cost of college nowadays. After you've taken all of your requirements to graduate college is just a very expensive way to educate yourself