part time student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlee1202

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be graduating in Summer 2010 with B.S. in Microbiology major. Problem is, it took me (well, it will take me) 6 years to graduate due to being a part-time student status since freshman. Not because of academic reasons (I never dropped a course), but I have a family to take care of, and been working full time while going to college since day 1.

My cumulative GPA is 3.91 (non science)
My cumulative GPA is 3.74 (science)
My MCAT cumulative was 33 (BS 12; PS 11; VR 10)

My only concern is that, since I was a part-time student, I wonder if the admissions will look at it negatively. I had no choice but to work full time and go to college part-time to support my family (my wife also worked full time at a retail store). I could've taken student loans to offset the living expenses, but I didn't want to accumulate too much debt so I chose not to take them.

Anyone had similar experience/circumstances?

P.S. I've been working at a local hospital as certified nursing assistant, full-time. I do plan on getting a letter of recommendation from one of the physician I've worked closely with.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think the concern over being part time will be huge considering you were working full time (and in a medically related field at that) and you did well in the classes. I would be more concerned if your status as part time affected your ability to get involved and build up some ECs. Your job is certainly good clinical experience, but have you done anything else? Research, volunteering? I think if you are lacking these things it would be a bigger detriment to your application than your part-time status.

I was involved in a senior research project with my microbiology department professor - I didn't play any direct role in the research, but more of data collection and running lab. I was involved in it for about a year. It wasn't a work study program - I was recommended by virology professor when I discussed my interest in pre-med. It pretty much took all my spare time on weekends - my wife hated me for that lol.

Other than that, I really didn't have much time to volunteer - I've been working 40+ hours a week plus school part-time. Weekends were pretty much used up to study/assignments and senior research project mentioned above.

I was nominated for several employee-of-the-month and employee-of-the-year at the hospital I work at. I'm sure it will help strengthen my clinical experience. I was also able to shadow, on a very limited basis, when the hospital found out that I was in pre-med.