Part-time temporary jobs for Pre-DO student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBlue90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am just finishing my last semester up at the University of Michigan, and since I am not taking too difficult a course load, I feel like it would be a great time to find a job/experience that would be worthwhile to my interest in medicine.

I was wondering if any of you found any experiences particularly helpful in your quest to become a doctor and would be willing to share.

I would, hopefully, like to find a job, as I am a little strapped for cash, but any tips or insight in any position will be fielded with praise! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I am just finishing my last semester up at the University of Michigan, and since I am not taking too difficult a course load, I feel like it would be a great time to find a job/experience that would be worthwhile to my interest in medicine.

I was wondering if any of you found any experiences particularly helpful in your quest to become a doctor and would be willing to share.

I would, hopefully, like to find a job, as I am a little strapped for cash, but any tips or insight in any position will be fielded with praise! Thank you!

I would've liked to do CNA work during my undergrad, but having changed majors a lot I didn't have credits to spare. The local tech college in Madison had a 8 week course to certification if you can commit to the hours. Those jobs are a lot easier to find than emt spots even though that would be more exciting

I work in a retail pharmacy, and it's pretty swell! It's not everyone's cup of tea though, so here's the rundown:

The downsides are mostly stress-related. Your clientele doesn't want to be there most of the time, and every day you're faced with a mountain of drugs to sort through while dealing with the people on the other side of the counter who are antsy to get out of there and phones are ringing all the time and this lady is going to make everyone else stand in line for fifteen minutes because she wants a flu shot but wants you to run five discount cards and the guy at the drive-through has a bad Rx for like a gillion oxy from out of state that you have to report and this other guy wants his amoxicillin flavored like chocolate silk pie and I'm not about that.

The bright side is that the above is the worst that it gets! It's usually pretty routine drone work, you learn a lot about what drugs do, which ones don't play nice together, and the fact that a lot of doctors can't do math. Time management skills don't come out too shabby either. Oh, and HIPAA. You get HIPAA'd out the wazoo. Really secure work, too, it's hard to not find tech work in pharmacies if you're willing to wade into all that biznass.

Oh, and it's not too tough to get into; some techs get hired off the street, and some go through classes for it, but either way you get trained on-site. It's not a bad learning curve.