part time undergraduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soul21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if going to school part time while I was working 30-40 hours would be an issue for getting into medical school. I currently have a 3.9 gpa and plan on hopefully aceing all my classes until Im done. I know I would have to do well on the mcat so hopefully i'll get a 30+ mcat score. The reason I have to work is because I unfortunatly am not geting enough from finacial aid to cover all expenses of my cost of living. Have any of you all heard of someone being accepted into med school with a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked full time (40+) hours throughout my entire undergraduate career. If anything, it makes your application that much stronger. Keep up the GPA, get in some decent Extra Curriculars, and you'll have great chances at getting in somewhere.

that's wonderful! I think it is hard enough to work part-time and be a full-time student, best wishes.

Angel

Members don't see this ad :)
little_late_MD said:
I worked full time (40+) hours throughout my entire undergraduate career. If anything, it makes your application that much stronger. Keep up the GPA, get in some decent Extra Curriculars, and you'll have great chances at getting in somewhere.

Well thats good to hear. For a while it seemed like everybody who was getting in to med school was a full time undergraduate.

I didn't work 40 hrs, but I did work 20-30. Its difficult, but looks like you are doing well with GPA, this time management will help for the MCAT, Med School, and beyond. However, When you take the MCAT, you better know yourself well. There are people every year that work 40 hrs, and get a 40 on the MCAT, but those are few and far in between, so see if you are one of those. If not, save up money to cover that semester so you can work less. Better yet, even take the semester off if you can make up the classes and still graduate on time. This will free you up more for MCAT. Its doable, but guage yourself to see if you can do it.

Also, if you are working that much, you probably don't have time to do research or get clinical experience. With only 20-30 hrs of work, I did have time for volunteering. From what people tell me, med schools, at least mine, will look past that if you have a strong history of working, especially if its in the medical field. However, do try to volunteer when you can (if your job isn't related at all to medicine). It will not only show med schools that you have some experience and are genuinely interested, it will solidify your own interest in medicine. Good luck.

sscooterguy