"Part time" work - what are my options ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gildenros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone !

First of all, this is my first post, but I've been reading posts and enjoying this forum for years. Everybody is always really helpful and informed, so I thought I should post here form my *very* particular question!

So here's the thing.
I'm a French MD graduate, currently completing a residency in pathology (with a special interest in medical genetics).
The thing is that I'm also a musician (I write music for films, and for singers/bands). I've been able to manage the two so far.
In order to pursue this, I'd see myself moving to the US for a while, after I complete residency in 2 years. But, I also need money, since I'm not making THAT much yet with music.

So, I've been explorinng and trying to find options :

- What about completing a "cushy" residency in the states ?
I've actually started studying for the steps.

- What about working in consulting (McKinsey, etc..). I hear there are great opportunities for MDs, but they make you work an average of 70 hrs/week... Do they also offer 9-5 jobs ??

One last thing you have to know is that medical school is basically free in France (it's state funded), so I don't have this huge debt over my shoulders.

I'm aware this is a bit of an unusual situation, but I'm sure some of oyu will be of great help :)

Thanks a lot.

NB: I'm also posting this in the Business/MD section.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know of consulting firms, they tend to work people hard and long hours, >>40 hrs/week when you are starting out. You would likely not have much time for your music related activities.

As far as "cushy" residencies, I think you can expect to work >>40 hrs/week at US residency, particularly in the first couple of years. If you want better estimates you should post on the pathology forum, as they'd be able to give you more realistic job descriptions.

I honestly don't think that your plan sounds very doable. If you just want to come over here and do music, I think you need to come over here and get some "nothing" type job like working in a coffee shop, since doing a residency isn't going to allow you the kind of free time that it seems like you want/need. Or you can go for a pathology residency, and see how it shakes out in terms of doing your music in your off time...but I think you wn't have as much free time as you're hoping for.