Partially funded MD/PhD vs. top ranked MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godspeed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in a partially funded MD/PhD program, where I do not have to pay tuition for 4 yrs of med school and during my PhD study. I will get stipends during my PhD yrs, but I will not get stipends for 4 yrs of med school. Instead, I give me some $ for housing.

However, I am waitlisted at 2 MSTP's ( top 20 MD schools--US News) and waitlisted at 2 MD's ( top 5 MD schools).

My question is that if I eventually get in the top MD program, should I go there, pay tuition for the first 1-2 yrs, and reappy for MD/PhD at the top 5 MD schools?

In term of residency match, will the partially funded MD/PhD from the school ranked around 35th ( in the big city) outweigh the MD from the top 5 MD school ( I use MD school since there is no ranking for MD/PhD program)?

Alternative soluition, I could wait another year and reappy for MSTP if I do not get in any MSTP this year. I talked to some top MSTP program directors, they said that I would have a very good shot to get in next year.

I am confused. Any inputs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I won't and can't really give you an anwser, except to say that I think what you really need to ask yourself is why you want to do an MD/PhD.

If it's because it will help you get into a residency than you are better served by an MD from a top institution (mostly because it's shorter).

If it's because you have an undying intellectual curiosity and desire to be trained as a true physician scientist, with all the rigor, challenges and rewards it brings, then your true question becomes whether you take the partially funded position this year, or reapply MSTP next year - or take a true risk, go MD and then apply internally next year.

Obviously, I neither know enough to make an educated guess, nor do I feel invited to make that decision for you. Good luck.

One caveat...

Turning down an acceptance this year to reapply next year is a dangerous proposition. It would be a difficult situation to explain next year, raising such questions as "If s/he did not want to go there, why did s/he apply?" and "S/he turned down an acceptance last year at X school, what if s/he does the same thing to us this year?"

I am not an MD/PhD student, but I really don't see the big deal between going to the program you are in now vs going for MSTP. Either way you will be in a good position for your future career.

Members don't see this ad :)
need more info...
what makes you think (and the MSTP directors too) that you'll have a better shot next year.

If you are asking for my opinion:

I would never wait a year...

I can't really help you with the rest. The only thing you mentioned was rank. I'm sure (I hope) there are other factors going into this decision. How do these schools match up in terms of curriculum, location, availability of PI's in your discipline, closeness to family, etc? Why do you want to do the MD/PhD? What?s most important to you, the PhD or the rep of your school? I haven't heard of any MD/PhD students (who did fairly well) having trouble with a residency match.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I might look at the top ranked medical school (if it is research based) and see how many students they accpet into their MSTP or dual degree program from their MD pool. The cost/outcome of going to a partially funded program may not be to your advantage later on... So, if you finish the M.D. from the top ranked school and you have a nice set of residency options (barring your getting into their dual degree), you will have increased your years of earning potential by a good 5 some year (time doing the PhD and post-doc). This may not seem important, depending on your age, but when you get a bit older and are thinking kids or marraige - this will be an issue you will likely ocnfront. The lack of funding may come back to haunt you during these years. Also, you do gain back time to do fellowships where you will get research training (which you would be in a wondeful position to do from a top ranked school (ie. HHMI - which is only open to M.D.s). I think there are a lot of ways you can go which, in my opinion, do not call into question your dedication to the dual degree. A lot of people are quck to throw out the, "Do you really want to do this?" thin. But, you will do research no mattter what your degree if you have a commitment to that course. A dual degree is only one way to get their and not the easiest route in some cases (maybe like yours)... the big time M.D. will open more doors and give you more options, in my opinion. The reality is that a huge number of major lab are directed by M.D's...look around at top research institutions and I think you will see that doing research does not require the PhD. The PhD is training which you can get in a variety of ways. Good luck!

Hmmmm. 35 ranked school in a big city that partially funds. That sounds like my school.