Research Participation Opportunity!
My name is Jocelyn Kressler and I am a psychology doctoral candidate at Adler University. I am completing a study that seeks to understand the lived experience of parents of adolescents who currently have (or have ever had) a diagnosis of PTSD and currently have (or have ever had) a diagnosis of a substance use disorder. My aim is to inform the psychology field with information from parents on how mental health providers can better assist parental caregivers.
- English speaking parent (can be adoptive, step, or biological), caregiver, or legal guardian of an adolescent child between the ages of 13 and 17 years old
- The adolescent child must have a current or historical diagnosis of PTSD and a current or historical diagnosis of a substance use disorder
- The parent, caregiver, or legal guardian must either currently live with the adolescent or have lived in the household with the adolescent during the time in which the adolescent met diagnostic criteria for PTSD and a substance use disorder
- Parent must not be directly involved in the event/s causing adolescent’s diagnosis of PTSD (such as due to sexual or physical abuse)
- Parent must not have a current substance use disorder (excluding caffeine or nicotine), however it is permissible to have a previous diagnosis of a substance use disorder
The study will require a 1 - 2 hour time commitment. Participants will be asked to engage in an interview about their experiences of living with an adolescent with co-occurring trauma-related and substance use disorders. Participation is voluntary and confidential.
All participants will receive a $20 Target gift card following completion of the interview.
If interested or have any questions, please contact Jocelyn Kressler at [email protected]. This study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at Adler University. Any questions or concerns about your rights as a research participant may be directed to Dr. Janna Henning, Dissertation Chair, at [email protected], as well as Dr. Peter Ji, Chair of the Adler University Institutional Review Board, at [email protected].
Thank you for considering participation in my study!
Jocelyn Kressler, M.A. (she/her/hers)