Participation in International Mission on Medicine???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*sunny*

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman in college and received an invitation to participate in an international mission on medicine. This program offers the opportunity to travel to South Africa, Australia, or China to study various forms of medicine related issues in a different cultural setting. I believe the program is part of the NYLF, but i was wondering if anyone has participated in this program and if it has any merit. The trip costs around $4500 for two weeks, and that's an large amount of money to be thrown around. Has anyone participated in this program or heard about it???

Members don't see this ad.

It's a scam, just so they can get money from premeds that think that this is their ticket into med school.

No medical school is going to take a two-week experience seriously. They are looking for a long-term dedication of time.

Save the money, and try to get a prolonged exposure to medicine.

You have to pay that much to go on a mission trip? Sounds shady to me. I could understand food/air fare, but $4500 sounds quite excessive.

Plus, you could probably do better by volunteering somewhere for well over 2 weeks, and save the 4500 clams. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, this reminds me of an offer to musicians in high school to be in this European band thing. Basically you paid a ton to go on a 3 week tour of Europe and they threw in a performance at Euro Disney ( like it is some huge deal) as some sort of incentive. It turned out to be a way for high school kids to get to run all over Europe while their parents paid (not a bad deal, but I doubt if the experience helped you get in Julliard or anything).

as with the above threads, u can do something much better and cheaper :rolleyes: than going on the trip. an internship (u even earn monay here :eek: ), or start ur research or hey have fun, u just finished ur freshman year!!!

Don't waste your money...

Collegiate Scholars sends those out all over the place, fishing for impressionable students. There are other ways to build a premed EC list.