1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Participation in Pre-matriculation program binding?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dart1516, May 16, 2007.

1. Dart1516

Dart1516 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Students I know who have participated in these programs say they are very helpful. I graduated in '06, so it's nice to get back into the mode of classes and whatnot. And I'm bored with my job. It's either work or school, so...

Anyway, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

By participating in a pre-matriculation program that only invites accepted students, am I binded to the school? Or could I still accept a wait-list invite, if it is granted? I am happy to be on my way to medical school and I definitely don't want to burn any bridges. If I were granted an acceptance from the wait-list, I'm not even sure that I would take it, but I would like to have the option if it presents itself. My first guess would be pre-matriculation = non-binding, simply by the term pre-matriculation. I've looked over my program paperwork thoroughly and it doesn't mention any implied contract or commitment. Of course it would be ideal if I could just ask the program director. But I feel that this is a sensitive subject that could be taken the wrong way if approached improperly. Thoughts?

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Typically, once you start orientation/classes at a school you cannot accept offers from any other school. I would consider a pre-matric program starting classes so I wouldn't do the program if you were hoping to get off a waitlist.

4. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

IDK, to me, a prematriculation program that is only for accepted students doesn't sound THAT different from second look, which is nonbinding. Do you have to pay for the program? Or is it part of your tuition? Because if it's part of your tuition and you attend and then decide not to go to the school, that might not turn out so well for you. Also, when is it? Ours was the weekend before orientation started, so at that point, everyone was definitely coming to school, but if it's over the summer sometime, I think it's probably nonbinding. You might have to contact the school - it's not like they can withdraw your acceptance just for asking the question. Don't even give your name if you're worried about it.

5. Dart1516

Dart1516 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

It's a 7 week program starting in the summer. The program is free.

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think you can equate 7 weeks of free education to a second look weekend.

7. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

The program may be free to you, but the fine print might say the tuition is waived for the entering class. If you don't enter the class, you would probably get a bill for the tuition. The one I'm most familiar with also gives a grant for books and living expenses. They might seek reimbursement for that too. On the other hand, the expense might be worth it, to get a leg up on the classes of any school you attend. I would check the terms of the "free" offer carefully , so there are no unwelcome surprises down the road. I agree with diosa428; call the school and check it out.

8. Dart1516

Dart1516 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I have inspected the info packet with a fine tooth. There is no special language. However, I'm calling to check it out. I'll post my findings in a bit.

Even if they did want to be reimbursed, that would be fine. I just don't want to be physically bound. And again, this is all hypothetical. Thanks for the advice!

9. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Yeah I agree. We just had a weekend camping trip, that's what I thought he was talking about...