PA's area of practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD OR RN?

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up folks.

I have been searching PA programs and finding more information. I find the proffesion to be very neat one from what I have read and seen.

Which leads me to my questions...

1- What areas are PA's able to work in? Any area which has a Doctor on duty? I know FP is the most common area of work for PA's but which other areas are PA's commonly known to work?

2- With a Bachelors in a PA program, do these programs pretty much study all areas a MD might except in a less througho,intense manner? That is what I have heard.

Anyone studying to be a PA or currently one that could offer some advice or kind words...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

PA'S can and do practice in all specialties of medicine. the most common areas are primary care( fp, im, peds, obgyn) as well as er, surgery, and ortho although pa's can be found in every setting in every specialty including, but not limited to, interventional radiology, oncology, rheumatology, etc.
for general info on the pa profession check out www.aapa.org
for info on optional pa residencies check out www.appap.org
for a more balanced and in depth discussion of pa issues than can be found on sdn check out www.physicianassociate.com
fyi- many pa programs are now masters level although some b.s. programs still exist. in your area( oregon) both programs are masters level at ohsu and pacific university. u. of wa/medex in seattle is still a certificate program( and is probably one of the best programs out there. it was the 2nd pa program ever started, after duke.)