PAs going to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SqB

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone out there is or knows a PA that has decided to go to med school. I'd like to know advantages/disadvantages of this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
One of my friends is a second year in med school and he was a PA. He started working on it while he was still a PA student! He was in his last year and while he was doing rotations, he was taking classes at night, like Physics and Organic, that he didn't have. He graduated, worked for about a year, then was accepted to med school.

Advantages and disadvantages? I am not sure. I would think that things might come a little easier as you would already have some medical training and background. I have none, and to me, it would just seem that some things would have been easier if I had some pre-exposure to some stuff. But I don't know.

Good luck!

Billie

I am in that situation now as a pa planning on returning to med school after 6 years as a pa and 5 as a paramedic. I think that the clinicals will be a lot easier but that the basic sciences will still be quite challenging. 3rd year rotations should be cake because they are the same as second year pa rotations. 4th year will be a bit more interesting-e