Pass a pre-req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenzmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Update from my last post, I ended up with a C in my gen chem 2 class and like other universities, there is a pass/fail option. If i take the C my semester GPA will be a 3.1 (ouch), If I switch it to pass my GPA will be a 3.6. I know some med schools are taking online courses and P/F grades but in the end it puts me at a disadvantage compared to someone who took the class and got a letter grade. I already talked to my pre-med advisor and she wasn't much help. Should I take the C and retake later on or pass? I am clueless to what I SHOULD dooo.. Any feedback/advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Update from my last post, I ended up with a C in my gen chem 2 class and like other universities, there is a pass/fail option. If i take the C my semester GPA will be a 3.1 (ouch), If I switch it to pass my GPA will be a 3.6. I know some med schools are taking online courses and P/F grades but in the end it puts me at a disadvantage compared to someone who took the class and got a letter grade. I already talked to my pre-med advisor and she wasn't much help. Should I take the C and retake later on or pass? I am clueless to what I SHOULD dooo.. Any feedback/advice is appreciated!!
You're the first person who has posted one of these questions who would definitely be better off taking the P. It's only one class, so your application is not going to be impacted one way or the other in the context of your entire academic record, ECs, etc. Save your GPA and take the P. Adcoms will assume you are masking a C, which you are, but it's still better than showing the C and taking the hit to your GPA. Also, there is no reason to retake the class later, C or no C. Retakes are usually for C- and below.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You're the first person who has posted one of these questions who would definitely be better off taking the P. It's only one class, so your application is not going to be impacted one way or the other in the context of your entire academic record, ECs, etc. Save you GPA and take the P. Adcoms will assume you are masking a C, which you are, but it's still better than showing the C and taking the hit to your GPA. Also, there is no reason to retake the class later, C or no C. Retakes are usually for C- and below.

I would have to cautiously concur. If there was ever a time to take advantage of the chaos and confusion around COVID to explain a bad (and a C is not the end of the world) grade, this would be it. Just don't let it become a habit and be ready to discuss it if necessary.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far retaking is concerned, if you retake the adcoms will expect you to get an A. You won't impress them if you do, and if you get anything less it's bad, so it's just a liability to try and retake. There are med schools that are only making an exception to accept pass/fail if you didn't have a choice and want to see the letter grade if you can opt for one. Assuming you decide to pass/fail, you'd probably need to retake to show them a letter grade. Imho, I wouldn't retake for that reason until you're looking to apply and know for sure you need the letter grade because those schools are on the list. Plus by that point you'll have had so many other chemistry courses intro chem will be second nature to you and you'd make an A easy.

Idk if some of the veterans on this site would agree with all of this. The bold is what I know for sure, the rest is just my speculation.

You're the first person who has posted one of these questions who would definitely be better off taking the P. It's only one class, so your application is not going to be impacted one way or the other in the context of your entire academic record, ECs, etc. Save you GPA and take the P. Adcoms will assume you are masking a C, which you are, but it's still better than showing the C and taking the hit to your GPA. Also, there is no reason to retake the class later, C or no C. Retakes are usually for C- and below.

I generally agree with this, but there’s always the concern that a “P” is seen as a “C-“ instead of a “C” or as “GPA protection”.

Although, honestly, I can’t see it hurting you that much. I also will throw my hat into the “cautiously agree” party.

Ended up taking the P to save my GPA, thanks for the advice everyone. :)