PASS and Ortho Programs -- Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thFairy15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at the PASS search engine, several schools list that a a "DDS degree or equivalent" is a requirement to apply to the following programs:

1/ Colorado
2/ Nova
3/ Detroit Mercy
4/ St Barnabas
5/ North Carolina
6/ Albert Einstein
7/ West Virginia

I could understand this being true for the hospital based, but I've heard of people getting into North Carolina, for instance, right out of dental school.

Please comment if these PASS requirements are correct. It seems like this may be incorrect for some schools (NC and WV???)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This just means that a DDS, or equivalent, is required for admission. I beleive it's that way for all programs; not just the ones you listed.

I am terribly confused by your question. What are you asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OP is under the impression that you need to have already graduated dental school, and have your DDS/DMD prior to applying to these programs. That is why s/he is so shocked that others have applied and been accepted while still in dental school.

OP, it's fine to apply while in school, and yes I agree that the wording is not very accurate. They should have said that DDS/DMD is required for matriculation, and not merely applying to those post grad programs.

You need to be certified (unofficially) by your school though at some point (by virtue of your dean's recommendation) that you are in fact a DDS/DMD candidate in order to apply. Or something like that ...

Sorry, I can clarify: the PASS search engine has 2 sections.
1/ Requirements before enrollment in Program
2/ Requirements to apply to program.

The schools listed above said that a DDS was necessary to apply to the program, and I was wondering if this was correct. Does anyone know if these schools accept people that don't yet have their DDS and are in dental school, or would it be pointless to apply to these schools as a soon-to-be 4th year.

Thanks for everyone's help.

What that actually means is DDS or equivalent must be pending. You do not actually have to graduate to apply. The vast majority of all applicants are straight from dental school. There are only a select few programs that tend to strongly emphasize experience. Please, apply to all the programs you're interested.

st barnabas does indeed require a GPR or other post-grad experience. albert einstein might as well. i'd contact the programs directly, so you don't waste your money. the application process gets to be very expensive.

i know for a fact colorado, nova, detroit, and UNC don't require post-grad experience, as i had friends interview at all those programs last year (unless they've changed their policy).

Looking at the PASS search engine, several schools list that a a "DDS degree or equivalent" is a requirement to apply to the following programs:

1/ Colorado
2/ Nova
3/ Detroit Mercy
4/ St Barnabas
5/ North Carolina
6/ Albert Einstein
7/ West Virginia

I could understand this being true for the hospital based, but I've heard of people getting into North Carolina, for instance, right out of dental school.

Please comment if these PASS requirements are correct. It seems like this may be incorrect for some schools (NC and WV???)

Thanks.