• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Pass/Fail a science course (non-prereq)

MCMonday

Dec 18, 2015
  1. Pre-Medical
    I've finished all the pre-reqs for medical school and recently got a full time job offer for business related position. I accepted it and want to P/F this genetics class that I am taking right now. I did not do very well in it in the beginning and don't see the point of taking it anymore if I have decided to take a break from pursuing medical school. I want to explore other fields before taking a decision of whether med school is for me because I am struggling a lot with bio classes (but did pretty well in majority of my physical science classes).

Will P/F this genetics class affect me later on if I want to go back to that route (probably not within 3 years though)? I know for sure I will have to do a post-bacc if I do go back (GPA 3.4). Also, this is my first time hearing it too but someone was telling that med schools calculate a Passed science class as a D?

Thank you!

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Jul 26, 2009
    The Big Bad Apple
    1. Non-Student
      I've finished all the pre-reqs for medical school and recently got a full time job offer for business related position. I accepted it and want to P/F this genetics class that I am taking right now. I did not do very well in it in the beginning and don't see the point of taking it anymore if I have decided to take a break from pursuing medical school. I want to explore other fields before taking a decision of whether med school is for me because I am struggling a lot with bio classes (but did pretty well in majority of my physical science classes).

Will P/F this genetics class affect me later on if I want to go back to that route (probably not within 3 years though)? I know for sure I will have to do a post-bacc if I do go back (GPA 3.4). Also, this is my first time hearing it too but someone was telling that med schools calculate a Passed science class as a D?

Thank you!

A pass/fail class does not, repeat, does not get calculated into your GPA (see page 8 of AMCAS instructions). However, it can raise questions by an adcom as to why you took typically recommended science course as a p/f, even though the course isnt a required prereq

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.