Pass Fail courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 4th year at UofT with an HBSc. Would taking one pass / fail course per semester with 3 other FCES (so 4 FCEs per semester) bad for med/grad schools in Canada and USA? My courses would be: a 2nd year course, 4th year research project, 3rd year bio course, and a 300+ Pass / fail course. I plan on doing the pass/fail in a History course for a different perspective.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter, just realize it doesn't count as part of your gpa.

Would they frown upon such a discovery, or suspect me of dishonesty and incompetency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, just say, "I'm preparing myself for a P/F curriculum that I am expecting in medical school."

Sorry, I have no idea, but you're probably gonna have some explaining to do during interviews.

Can't I just say it was an area I was uncomfortable in (humanities) due to its very subjective marking, but wanted to learn the material anyway?

I would say no, and as an engineer I'm just as afraid of the subjective grading. A lot of schools like students who have taken humanities classes, and they want to see how well you perform in classes that aren't strictly science or math.

But I'm a pre-med, so don't take what I have to say for granted.

I've seen some people say on this forum that as long as its not a pre-req (or for your major, for obvious reasons), P/F should be fine (like if you were taking Greek Literature P/F it wouldn't be a big deal).

I'd take the class, though, graded (out of paranoia and desire for an 'A' to raise my gpa)

I plan on taking a P/F course for my major. My school allows it, I've never taken a P/F course before, and it's a ridiculously hard course, so screw it.

Im thinking of taking Pass/Fail in a History of Medicine class (4th year level) and another humanities/social sci class in the second semester.

Would a Pass/Fail in history of medicine be bad cuz they want to see how I do in something related to medicine? Also, on a side note, would grad schools not accept you if they see ur interested in medicine cuz they'll think ur not actually serious about going to grad school (applying there as a backup)?

You're totally overthinking this. No one cares if you take a couple humanities courses pass/fail, even if one is called "History of Medicine". Chances are, you'll never be asked to explain it.