Pass/Fail for non-prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolhopeful99

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Ive put myself in a really stupid situation. So basically, at the end of my soph year I became a little too overambitious and I decided, screw a biology major ill learn enough of that in Med School and decided to either pursue and Econ major or Computer Science major. So fast forward to this semester I decided to take Discrete Math, Calculus I, C++ programming and Intro to Econ. In the first week it overwhelmed me so I dropped Discrete but I fell behind in Economics. I switched Discrete with Intro to Finance which is more manageable.

But basically I'm scared that I'll screw my GPA this semester. Calculus is going fine and so is C++ but Im worried about Econ and Finance cuz I can't put in the time I need into them.
However, Tufts is allowing exceptional pass/fail this semester and I can take as many class p/f and have it count to my major. So I was thinking of taking Econ and Finance pass/fail... would this be a bad option?

I have a 3.92 sGPA and 3.88 cumulative and I finished all my pre-reqs and attend Tufts University...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have been in the same situation before. First of all the semester just started - you still have about 12 weeks to do well! But in MY OPINION it is safer to protect GPA - in worst case scenario interviewer might ask you about this or they might not. GPA should be your number one priority, everything can be easily fixed - volunteering hours, low practice MCAT (and even the real one), research, but not the GPA. It will cost you a lot of money, time and efforts to fix it once you screwed - basically just protect it as much as you could. Again, it is my opinion and I am also sitting with my 3.9 coupled with few Ws and P/Fs over my 3+ year college career. Every single time when I made such decision I asked myself - what is worse W/Pass or ending up as an SMP student. But I am not in med school yet.

So if theyre not science (econ classes) I should be okay do you think? I've gotten A+'s in every prereq except Chem 2 where I got A-..

So if theyre not science (econ classes) I should be okay do you think? I've gotten A+'s in every prereq except Chem 2 where I got A-..
I think you should be okay even if it was molecular bio. Protect the GPA.