Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pass/Fail Option, whats the point...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by max_wannelius, Aug 9, 2006.

1. max_wannelius

max_wannelius Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Any of you guys actually use this? The way it factors into GPA at my school is, Pass = NC (No credit), Fail = NC (No credit). No credit is equal to 0 points when calculating GPA, which is exactly equivalent to an F. BUT there must be some benefit to "Pass/Fail", otherwise they wouldn't have it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ari Gold

Ari Gold .....
    5+ Year Member

It doesn't hurt you like an F bc the credit hours dont count when averaging your GPA.

4. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It allows you to take a fun class or to try out a subject you are interested in without getting overly stressed about achieving an A in it.

5. max_wannelius

max_wannelius Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yep, that was my initial motivation. The class I plan to take is a 400-level math; I could learn a ton. One last doubt: how does a fail look on the transcript? You are an adcom, you don't see an "F", you see a "fail"; what goes through your mind?

6. top

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you are going to take it p/f, make sure you pass it. if you aren't going to put the work into it to get a C- or whatever, then just audit the class. don't fail anything.

7. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

In all honesty, putting in the effort needed to get a C isn't that hard. Unless you plan to skip all your classes or completely ignore the teacher, you will most likely be able to pass the class.

8. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Depends on the class and grading system. If your grade is based on two research papers, and you're a horrible writer, it might be hard to pull off a C. If half your grade is based on class discussions, and you're a quiet person that doesn't get heard, it might be hard to pull off a C. Just depends.

9. Captain Fantastic

I'm a non-trad and in my first degree program I completed two semesters of a foreign language. Now that I'm back in school, to earn my second degree I have to complete a third semester in that language. Yippee! I see this as a perfect class to take pass/fail.

10. CptCrunch

CptCrunch Senior Member

Attending Physician
    In some of my engineering courses, I've seen people do quite a bit of work only to end up with a C.