Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pass/Fail Option, whats the point...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by max_wannelius, Aug 9, 2006.

1. max_wannelius

max_wannelius Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Any of you guys actually use this? The way it factors into GPA at my school is, Pass = NC (No credit), Fail = NC (No credit). No credit is equal to 0 points when calculating GPA, which is exactly equivalent to an F. BUT there must be some benefit to "Pass/Fail", otherwise they wouldn't have it?

2. Ari Gold

Ari Gold .....
    5+ Year Member

It doesn't hurt you like an F bc the credit hours dont count when averaging your GPA.

3. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It allows you to take a fun class or to try out a subject you are interested in without getting overly stressed about achieving an A in it.

4. OP
    OP
    max_wannelius

max_wannelius Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yep, that was my initial motivation. The class I plan to take is a 400-level math; I could learn a ton. One last doubt: how does a fail look on the transcript? You are an adcom, you don't see an "F", you see a "fail"; what goes through your mind?

5. top

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you are going to take it p/f, make sure you pass it. if you aren't going to put the work into it to get a C- or whatever, then just audit the class. don't fail anything.

6. Compass

Compass Squishy
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

In all honesty, putting in the effort needed to get a C isn't that hard. Unless you plan to skip all your classes or completely ignore the teacher, you will most likely be able to pass the class.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Depends on the class and grading system. If your grade is based on two research papers, and you're a horrible writer, it might be hard to pull off a C. If half your grade is based on class discussions, and you're a quiet person that doesn't get heard, it might be hard to pull off a C. Just depends.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Captain Fantastic

I'm a non-trad and in my first degree program I completed two semesters of a foreign language. Now that I'm back in school, to earn my second degree I have to complete a third semester in that language. Yippee! I see this as a perfect class to take pass/fail.

9. CptCrunch

CptCrunch Senior Member

Attending Physician
    In some of my engineering courses, I've seen people do quite a bit of work only to end up with a C.