pass fail vs. grades

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ssf77, Dec 10, 2002.

1. ssf77

ssf77 Member

I hear different things from everyone oevr their opinion on grades vs. p/f. I think p/f would be good cuz I wouldnt have to worry about psycho med students competing with me. But I dont understand how residency directors differentiate you based on just p/f grades...is ur board scores all they look at.

I got accepted to Mt. Sinai, but dont know how the p/f system would affect me when I do apply to residencies. I think that grades would maybe give me a better...or worse chance at residencies. I am not reallyt sure how that works...any opinions??:confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. siempre595

I can't say specifically for that school, but I was interviewing at another pass/fail school and was told that the major determining factor for residencies as far as grades go are the written evaluations from 3rd year. They acted as though pretty much everyone passed everything, so everyone from their school showed up with all P's, the only thing that made people different was the third year evaluations. That doesn't concern USMLE scores or specific experience either though.
    Hope that helps.

4. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member

Most pass/fail medical schools still rank you even though they don't give you a grade. You may receive a "pass" on your report card, but whatever scores you get on your tests will play into your rank. Many of these schools have a policy of not revealing your rank (some don't), but the Dean knows it when he writes the Dean letters for residency. And he can certainly let programs know you have done extremely well without necessarily telling them your rank. The impression I get, is that if you do really well (or if you don't), residency programs will know it regardless of whether your school is pass/fail.

Most pass/fail schools also have some type of grading system your third year (honors/pass/fail or honors/letter/pass/fail etc.). And clinical grades what residency directors pay the most attention to anyway.

5. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

Agree with what Camden772 said.... be careful.

I don't see anything wrong with letter grades. Do you want to pass at 86% and yet still get the same designation (pass) as someone who pass at 65%? You know you will try to study in med school because there is sooooo much material and you will fear that you would fail if you don't study enough to give yourself a margin. So since you will study, why not get some designation (i.e. high pass or B) for your effort, while others who really wanna exemplify their pass=MD attitude and pass at 60% can get "low pass or C" designations?

6. Goya

Goya Member

Hardcore students will always be hardcore even if the school is P/F. Most schools have AOA and those top 10-15 percent will gunnin for that. I've also heard that schools do keep track of grades...kinda. So they can rank for AOA.. So P/F...is kinda a trick. If you see as getting a B as a P you can have that same mindset at a ABCF school. B=P=MD. You'll find gunners at every school everywhere. It's the business we have chosen. Although I must admit...P/F does sound nice though. :)

7. Explosivo

Explosivo blah!

Most residency directors don't give a rats ass about grades in your first two years so long as you pass. This is coming from the head of surgery at BU. The grades that matter are in year 3 and of course your Step 1. The catch though is AOA where those grades do matter and for some residencies, AOA is almost a necessity. Frankly you're going to be a doc one way or the other so you might as well learn to be one in a less stressful way with a p/f system which encourages cooperation b/w classmates than through a nasty letter grade system. Personally, my own sanity during medical school will be worth more than any residency in the world.

8. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy

It's good to keep how you will be graded in mind. As the director at UW-Madison said, they will HAVE TO determine what part of the class you are in. Many schools that use grading systems still have a collegio atmosphere (I think that's what you call it). There will always be the people who need to ace everything and burn everyone else in the process, but they will most likely never be happy with life anyway. But there are students who are a little nicer. This actually reminds me of the movie "Patch Adams" where everyone is uptight, but later realize what's more important.
    Anyway, I heard some schools will secretly keep track of you, and others will base their rank on USMLE.
    -=Eric