Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to point out to you the discussion going on on the Allopathic List, started by someone at a med school with a Pass/Fail grading system. It's called "just passing". I'm totally, thoroughly biased about the benefits of grades, but I thought these people's comments might be interesting to those of you who are deciding where to go for med school. In my opinion, pass/fail SOUNDS great, but in the end it tends to hurt you, either by allowing you to slack (a natural tendency), or by not allowing residency programs to know much about you.

------------------
Linie

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Washington University in St. Louis has pass/fail for the first year. They do so to remove some of the strain and competitiveness that may arise in the first year. It also allows students to focus less on grades and more on learning. From what I understand, they use the ABCDF system after the first year.

Actually, I think they switch over from Pass/Fail to Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail after the first year, not to letter grades, although the two systems (letter grades and levels-of-pass) seem very similar.

I think you are right. That does sound more familiar.