Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prankster

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some med schools use pass/fail instead of letter grades. What about DO schools? Also, what system does LECOM use? Does it make a difference when applying for residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

OUCOM is graded pass/fail, but I don't know about LECOM. As far as residencies I really don't know that as I have no first-hand experience, but I have been told that it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

LECOM uses letter grades. An A is 90-100%, a B is 80-89%, a C is 70-79%, and failing is below 70%. We get letter grades for both our pre-clinical and our clinical years (the letter grades on our rotations are interpreted somehow from our evaluation form).

And I agree with DORoe, I don't think it matters one way or the other for residencies. Your LORs will be from physicians you rotate with, and those will give programs a good indicator of how well you performed on rotations. Your Dean's letter will also have the comments that were made by your preceptors contained in it.

DMU-COM uses letter grades the same as LECOM scale, but many agree that these can be translated into 70% =/> Pass.