Pass/Not Pass Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rls303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
At my university, there is a program where one can opt to get units on a pass/not pass basis. There are also a few 1 unit seminars that are optional. I know that this does not get counted into my university gpa, but do some medical schools take a pass into account in the overall GPA as a "C"?

I've checked with a couple of UC schools admission counselors and they have said that they would always like to see a class taken for a grade. However, one of my History Writing TA's is notorious for marking you down even if you write really well. Hence, I'm considering taking this class as a P/NP as opposed to taking the risk of receiving an unfavorable grade.

Thanks in advance! Really glad I found this helpful forum! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think med schools would care much if you took a History class Pass/Not Pass.

On another note, your uni seems to be much nicer than mine - we call them Pass/FAIL classes. Fail sounds a lot harsher than Not Pass haha

I don't think medical schools factor pass/fail into you GPA. It seems unfair because they would assume you did as bad as possible and just barely passed if they gave you a C

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a class P/NP, failed it, and still got in to five schools. It doesn't matter.
(Caveat emptor; I took the class for S&G's, it wasn't a pre-req or BCPM or anything..)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the helpful responses. If I opt to take this class pass/not pass, it would be about 4 classes thus far that would have been taken P/NP and 3 out of the 4 were only P/NP...would this be considered too much?

Thanks

haha "not pass" is a funny way of saying fail

I'm an undergraduate senior this year, and I'm about to take a few graduate level courses. I am completely done with my prereqs, both for medical school and for my degree. The only thing I need toward completion now is simply hours. Hours of any kind, which means that they may be satisfied by pass/fail courses.

Since it is my last semester and now I'm just waiting to hear back from schools, it shouldn't matter if I opt to take all pass/fail, right? Considering they are grad courses and I don't need them. In the off chance that I don't go to medical school next year, will this look badly on me?

Thanks for the advice.

at my uni they require that no more than 30% of your units are pass/not pass. i feel like that is too high for medical schools though. keep it below 20% and limit to non-BCMP classes, you'll be fine.

i personally took a few pass/not pass classes so that I could take extra things I was interested in without them affecting my other, more 'important' classes. you might even see it as a plus.

I'm an undergraduate senior this year, and I'm about to take a few graduate level courses. I am completely done with my prereqs, both for medical school and for my degree. The only thing I need toward completion now is simply hours. Hours of any kind, which means that they may be satisfied by pass/fail courses.

Since it is my last semester and now I'm just waiting to hear back from schools, it shouldn't matter if I opt to take all pass/fail, right? Considering they are grad courses and I don't need them. In the off chance that I don't go to medical school next year, will this look badly on me?

Thanks for the advice.

don't burn a semester. it's a waste of time and a waste of money. the medical schools want workaholics, don't give them a reason to suspect that you aren't one.

hi, i was wondering how a no pass on the English pre-rec would look? would this be factored into my gpa as an F?

thanks!