pass question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KY2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we need to fill out every part of the pass application. I understand filling in the match code once we get it but what about professional experience, and extracurricular activities? All this stuff is already on the CV.

Members don't see this ad.

KY2007 said:
Do we need to fill out every part of the pass application. I understand filling in the match code once we get it but what about professional experience, and extracurricular activities? All this stuff is already on the CV.

I just listed it, but not in details like the CV.

You can also put "Refer to CV" or "Reference CV" if you're sick of listing things.

Yah-E said:
I just listed it, but not in details like the CV.

You can also put "Refer to CV" or "Reference CV" if you're sick of listing things.

Yeah, you probably should list it in those areas even though it is on your CV. Would you want your application to get tossed aside because the reviewer is too lazy/tired to look through the stack of papers in your folder for your CV?

Members don't see this ad :)
griffin04 said:
Yeah, you probably should list it in those areas even though it is on your CV. Would you want your application to get tossed aside because the reviewer is too lazy/tired to look through the stack of papers in your folder for your CV?

Sage advice from somebody who has certainly mastered the mess we know as PASS. :thumbup:

Which leads me to another related question.

Where on the application would externship experiences go? I'm assuming "Professional Experience," but what sub catergory? Practice of Dentistry, Relevant Healthcare Experience, etc?

I've also spent a lot of time in some ORs doing pedo cases. That's listed on my CV of course, but where do I list it on the PASS app? None of the catergories really seem to apply. Any thoughts?

ItsGavinC said:
Which leads me to another related question.

Where on the application would externship experiences go? I'm assuming "Professional Experience," but what sub catergory? Practice of Dentistry, Relevant Healthcare Experience, etc?

I ended up placing everything in the "extracurriculars" area instead of the "professional experience" area. I think that works out a bit better.

Gavin,
I know you are applying to pedo, as I am and I assume that you are a parent (those probably isn't some random photo), as I am. In your personal statement, are you/would you make any reference to being a parent. Being a parent is not at all the REASON for my desire to to do into pedo, but is definately a huge part of my inspiration (being a mom allowed me to have some insight into the feelings of the parents of the patients, empathy, etc).
I kind of don't want to say anything, because I don't want anyone in the back of their head questioning my "availability" to the program - which I believe to be as much as anyone elses. What do you think?
Thanks!
Sommy

KY2007 said:
Laziness is something I like to see in applicants.

Sommy said:
Gavin,
I know you are applying to pedo, as I am and I assume that you are a parent (those probably isn't some random photo), as I am. In your personal statement, are you/would you make any reference to being a parent. Being a parent is not at all the REASON for my desire to to do into pedo, but is definately a huge part of my inspiration (being a mom allowed me to have some insight into the feelings of the parents of the patients, empathy, etc).
I kind of don't want to say anything, because I don't want anyone in the back of their head questioning my "availability" to the program - which I believe to be as much as anyone elses. What do you think?
Thanks!
Sommy

Tricky situation, for sure. It's good for the programs to know that you're a parent because that likely means that you've been through some of the trials and tantrums that will inevitably come with the profession. But as you said, it's a fine line to walk, and you certainly don't want to make being a parent your qualifications for choosing pedo, because I don't believe being a parent is any time of qualification.

I don't think I have a good answer for your question, but that might not matter because the statement is about YOU and it might be in your best interest to mention it.

Good luck with it!

Sommy said:
Gavin,
Thanks!
Sommy

On many of the interviews I went to for Pedo, residents were married with kids. I don't think it makes a difference either way. All it can do is help you. Just my 2c.

Good luck. :thumbup:

I tried filling every inch of the application, but realized it didnt have enough space for any further elaboration. I made simple lists regarding pertinent experiences and made a reference to my CV as well.

tx oms said:
Laziness is something I like to see in applicants.

Wow. Your phychic powers are amazing. It's like you know everything about me without even having met me. I bet you don't even have to take radiographs or a history to figure out whats wrong with your patients. I bet you just lay your hands on them and bam. Miss jones you have ameloblastoma, and by the way, did you know you are 2 months pregnant. :)

KY2007 said:
Wow. Your phychic powers are amazing. It's like you know everything about me without even having met me. I bet you don't even have to take radiographs or a history to figure out whats wrong with your patients. I bet you just lay your hands on them and bam. Miss jones you have ameloblastoma, and by the way, did you know you are 2 months pregnant. :)

Txoms got his patients 2 months pregnant? Schweet....

Doggie said:
Txoms got his patients 2 months pregnant? Schweet....
In the infamous words of Toof...

Attachments

• stainedbuttowned3.JPG
    stainedbuttowned3.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 97
KY2007 said:
Good luck with prosthodontics, stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.